EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Image search help! Please. :(
Ares
posted 04-16-2005 06:19:08 PM
okay, my lame-ass instructor wants us to learn some paintings which are NOT in the book and are obscure and hard to find online for our final exam.. (god forbid she should upload them to the school server..)

Anyways, I can't find them.. I need this pictures. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Joseph Hartwig: Chess game (1923)
Paul Gauguin: Picking Mango (1887)
Henri Masson: The Massacre (1935) (not to be confused with Andrei Masson. This is apparently a Canadian artist...)

Thank you.

Sean
posted 04-16-2005 06:36:57 PM
That's some obscure stuff there.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 04-16-2005 07:14:39 PM
what I can find on Gauguin

Masson's stuff

Wow that is obscure stuff... Google can't even find anything on those exact paintings...

Ares
posted 04-16-2005 07:31:41 PM
quote:
Trillee's fortune cookie read:
what I can find on Gauguin

Masson's stuff

Wow that is obscure stuff... Google can't even find anything on those exact paintings...

Yeah, I know. :/

I think the chess one might be a sculpture..

And the Gaugain one I think is actually called Mango Pickers, cause it's the only one I can find, and someone else on here sent me the same one..

Maradon!
posted 04-16-2005 08:02:51 PM
Since art crititique is totally arbitrary, you don't really need to see these paintings to discuss them convincingly.

Allow me to demonstrate.

Joseph Hartwig: Chess game

In this piece, Hartwig's bold use of color and vaguely indistinct symmetry lend a moody and ambient feel to the work. Taking a page from Paul Klee, he uses simple lines and almost primitive geometry to emphasize areas of the painting, which stand out in stark contrast to the "impressionistic" feel of their surroundings.

It's like writing a horoscope, no matter what you say, it applies to everything! Even if it turned out to be a black and white painting, I could argue that the "bold use of color" is in the "spartan application of high contrast present in the black/white pallette."

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 04-16-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Ares
posted 04-16-2005 10:29:29 PM
quote:
Maradon! said this about your mom:
Since art crititique is totally arbitrary, you don't really need to see these paintings to discuss them convincingly.

Allow me to demonstrate.

Joseph Hartwig: Chess game

In this piece, Hartwig's bold use of color and vaguely indistinct symmetry lend a moody and ambient feel to the work. Taking a page from Paul Klee, he uses simple lines and almost primitive geometry to emphasize areas of the painting, which stand out in stark contrast to the "impressionistic" feel of their surroundings.

It's like writing a horoscope, no matter what you say, it applies to everything! Even if it turned out to be a black and white painting, I could argue that the "bold use of color" is in the "spartan application of high contrast present in the black/white pallette."

It's not really about that.. They show random slides, and we have to name the peice, the artist, time period, movement and additional information

Maradon!
posted 04-16-2005 10:50:55 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Ares who doth quote:
It's not really about that.. They show random slides, and we have to name the peice, the artist, time period, movement and additional information

Oh, well fuck

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-16-2005 11:38:37 PM
I tried to find the first one, no luck.

Your teacher needs to cough up more info, or get a new job. Art classes should NOT be failed because the teacher doesn't provide infomation on where to find something on the internet.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ares
posted 04-16-2005 11:46:27 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon thought about the meaning of life:
I tried to find the first one, no luck.

Your teacher needs to cough up more info, or get a new job. Art classes should NOT be failed because the teacher doesn't provide infomation on where to find something on the internet.

Yeah, apparently we're supposed to remember the slides in the lecture...When she goes through about 50 of them each class...

Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 04-17-2005 12:25:23 AM
quote:
Ares wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Joseph Hartwig: Chess game (1923)
Paul Gauguin: Picking Mango (1887)
Henri Masson: The Massacre (1935) (not to be confused with Andrei Masson. This is apparently a Canadian artist...)
(

Josef Hartwig designed Chess set (designed 1923)

For the Paul Gaugin picture, I found several that could possibly fit... Woman with Mango, Picking Fruit, and Man Packing Fruit from a Tree... so not sure exactly what you want.. so check this link to his works..
Paul Gaugin (1848 - 1903)

As for the last one, all i can find on Henri Masson is the following:

quote:

Henri Leopold Masson was born in Spy, Belgium in 1907. In 1921, having already begun to display interest in becoming an artist, he moved with his widowed mother to Canada. Two years later became a student at the Ottawa Art Association. He apprenticed at a metal-engraving shop from the age of 16 to 18 and became skilled in metal decoration. He became a Master Engraver at the age of 25. He began exhibiting his work a decade later in Ottawa. At various times he taught, including a five-year position at Queen's University in Kingston. He also taught children’s art classes at the National Gallery of Canada from 1948 to 1950. Masson was inspired by the Group of Seven and their use of bold, vivid colouring. He often painted in rich, autumn hues, depicting scenes of rainy days or winter snowfalls.

The only mention of any paintings titled "Massacre" attributed to any artist with the surname "Masson" are those of Andre Masson

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-17-2005 01:36:42 AM
Most colleges also have a thing called a "library." This "library" generally contains vast collections of academic work, and instructors have been known to use the "library" as a repository of additional resources for the class.

Just a thought.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Ares
posted 04-17-2005 07:04:06 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Bloodsage:
Most colleges also have a thing called a "library." This "library" generally contains vast collections of academic work, and instructors have been known to use the "library" as a repository of additional resources for the class.

Just a thought.

While this is true, my school which has an extensive art library is in Toronto wish is 1.5 hours away, and I don't drive. And my library here has no books on Henry Masson, while I have been able to get the rest of the images (I found the chess set last night, but thanks Abbi) and I have the two "assumed" Gaugain images.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-17-2005 07:19:30 AM
Art is funny.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: