EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Webcomics
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 04-04-2005 09:08:13 AM
I've been working on my webcomic reader lately, and the list of comics it currently supports is rather sparse compared to how many comics are out there. I have a good number of the more popular ones supported (PA, PvP, many Keenspot/space comics, CAD, VGCats, etc, etc, etc) but I'm sure there's plenty I don't have.

So I'm asking for lists of all the comics that you guys read, so I can look at them and add support for them to the program. The more comics it can read out of the box the better the program gets. That and I might find some more good comics to add to my personal list.

However, there's a few things that don't work yet/ever:

* Use Javascript to display their images (example: www.wtfcomics.com)
* Are shockwave/flash comics (I'm not writing a shockwave player)
* Don't have the images inline, but as seperate links (example: www.angryflower.com)
* Require logins or cookies to browse through (example: Warpkeen)
* Don't have a static front page URL, or use 3xx redirects from this
page (example: Life of Riley) (I'll probably fix this eventually, it shouldn't be too terribly hard)

If you're curious about the program itself, you can find it here.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Big Easy
Pancake
posted 04-04-2005 09:45:31 AM
Looks great.

Couldn't find a list, so I'm going to assume 8-bit Theater isn't on it.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 04-04-2005 10:09:01 AM
8bit is most definately already on the list. It was one of the first.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 04-04-2005 10:09:28 AM
Knew I was forgetting something. Look in here to see what I have currently. Not all of those completely work (notably Garfield since they use META refreshes in their archive navigation, which I haven't decided how I want to handle yet, but who the hell reads Garfield anyway )
Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-04-2005 10:11:01 AM
Freefall: http://freefall.purrsia.com
Dilbert
Foxtrot
Bob and George: http://www.bobandgeorge.com
Real Life Comics: http://www.reallifecomics.com (site under reconstruction)
RPG World: http://www.rpgworldcomic.com
Sluggy Freelance: http://www.sluggy.com
Strangecandy: http://www.strangecandy.net
Order of the Stick
Megatokyo
WTF comics
Least I Could Do: http://www.leasticoulddo.com
Striptease: http://www.stripteasecomic.com
Dominic Deegan: http://www.dominic-deegan.com
Alpha Shade (flash comic)
Ghastly's Ghastly Comic (NSFW)
TA Vision (NSFW)
Mac Hall
Penny Arcade
Sinfest: http://www.sinfest.net

I can't think of any others right now.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-04-2005 11:48:21 AM
quote:
El Cuchillo stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
webcomic reader

Define term please.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Alaan
posted 04-04-2005 11:51:40 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Define term please.

It automatically snags new comics and lets you easily view them! Though I never used the program so lack specifics.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-04-2005 11:53:51 AM
quote:
Alaan rode by in a mouse drawn chariot while shouting:
It automatically snags new comics and lets you easily view them! Though I never used the program so lack specifics.

So it is the same kind of program as is being talked about here?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 04-04-2005 03:10:31 PM
Order of the Stick
Camelot Addicts
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-04-2005 03:52:59 PM
quote:
`Doc's fortune cookie read:

Real Life Comics: http://www.reallifecomics.com (site under reconstruction)

Granted he just got married, but that site's been under reconstruction for months.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 04-04-2005 04:55:28 PM
Achewood: www.achewood.com

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 04-04-2005 05:07:53 PM
Bob and george has occasional flash comics. Does 'em for his anniversarys, but it's generally a straight image. Same with sluggy freelance, though I think he goes with .gifs on anniversaries.
Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 04-04-2005 05:14:26 PM
Magical Adventures In Space

Overcompensating

Two webcomics by Jeffrey Rowland.

Mr. Crabs fucked around with this message on 04-04-2005 at 05:16 PM.

There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 04-04-2005 06:32:54 PM
quote:
This one time, at Palador ChibiDragon camp:
So it is the same kind of program as is being talked about here?

Not exactly. It's not automated like how he's talking about, it's more like a minimalist web browser. It only downloads the images it cares about (ie no ads), but there's no way to just 'one click' the entire website.

As for the rest of these comics listed, I'll look at them after I get back from my evening History class.

Edit: Screenshot of the program in action here.

El Cuchillo fucked around with this message on 04-04-2005 at 06:40 PM.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 04-04-2005 10:51:21 PM
Ok, here's a list of what I added or tried to add. If it's not listed here, but it was posted in the thread, it's because it was already supported.

Works
Least I Could Do - Added
Striptease - Added
Ghastly's Ghastly Comic (NSFW) - Added
TA Vision (NSFW) - Added
Magical Adventures... IN SPACE - Added
Achewood - Added

Mostly Works
Foxtrot - Added (No Archive Browsing, Uses META Refreshes)
Bob and George - Added (Some of the comics are flash comics and won't work)
Real Life Comics - Front Page Works, but I'm waiting for site to settle before I fix it completely
Order of the Stick - Mostly works, but I need to fix an internal program problem to get it perfect (should be transparent to users)
Camelot Addict - Mostly works, slight problem with some extra newlines confusing the tag parser (thought I fixed this, but I guess not) so archives only sporadically work
Overcompensating - Added (No Archive Navigation, no easily predictable links)

Doesn't Work
WTF comics - Won't work, uses Javascript to display images (see first post)
Alpha Shade (flash comic) - I said no Flash comics!

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-04-2005 11:12:57 PM
quote:
El Cuchillo really knows where their towel is...
Alpha Shade (flash comic) - I said no Flash comics!
You said you wouldn't include flash comics, you never said we shouldn't post flash comics.
At least I warned you...
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 04-04-2005 11:17:23 PM
Well, I wasn't asking for comics in general, I was asking for comics that I could include in the program.

I guess that's fine, though. Just as long as we understand each other.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 04-05-2005 06:20:15 AM
Ok, Life of Riley reorganized while I wasn't watching, but the archives are broken for other reasons (the program still has a few kinks in its URL parsing code), which I've fixed locally. Should be in the next release.
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 04-06-2005 09:00:54 PM
(Pardon me for posting out of nowhere, I've been lurking and reading for some time now, but I just had to advertise this webcomic as I feel it's a very wonderful one and worthy of risking my butt to share it)

Arcana (arcana.keenspace.com) is a beautiful epic comic, I think. The plot and art start out a little sloppy as its her first comic, but if you keep reading, I'm sure you'll find it as rewarding as I did. I should warn you, half of it is a love story and that love story is a yaoi between a weak-willed boy and a vampire, so if any of those things offend you, then obviously you wouldn't want to read it.

That's about all...forgive me for the intrusion...

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: