EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Uh oh, do we have uh oh, over? (Computer Problem)
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 03-29-2005 12:52:50 PM
So I came home and turned my comp on and went to put my stuff away while it was booting...

Problem is it stopped at a black screen (Wasn't watching it so don't know when this happened) and it began beeping, three long beeps. Beeeep beeeep beeeep. Short pause, then it would repeat the beeps. Now, as I understand it beeps like that are a code, each one means something different. I turned the comp off, checked all the plugs to make sure everything was plugged in, tried it again and it booted fine.

But I am a bit concerned over that and curious if anyone has any thoughts on what may have happened.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 03-29-2005 12:56:58 PM
It's hungry
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 03-29-2005 12:57:20 PM
Sounds like your power supply glitched and your mbd didn't get enough power. Possibly just a one time thing. Wouldn't worry about it too much.
sirturjerm
Pancake
posted 03-29-2005 12:58:52 PM
what kinda mobo do you have?
Why do we love Mr P?
sirturjerm
Pancake
posted 03-29-2005 01:00:33 PM
where's the damn edit button.. ?

Typically.. when all you get are beeps when you turn your machine on - you've got an error in hardware, software, or both.

Give me a mobo model - I'm bored and can help guide you into the light of a working machine

PS - get a floppy disk.. you're probably going to need one.

Why do we love Mr P?
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 03-29-2005 01:06:09 PM
If you turn off your computer from there and try starting again do you get the same bios squalks?

Edit: I mean after it booted fine the second time. This could be a sign of a dying power supply.

-Yuri- fucked around with this message on 03-29-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 03-30-2005 03:33:45 AM
Yeah, I had the same problem about six months ago and it worked fine after I replaced the power supply.

Not that you should listen to anything I say regarding computers.

Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 03-30-2005 03:34:55 AM
It wants ice cream. Scoop some in.
I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-30-2005 08:02:09 AM
quote:
sirturjerm really knows where their towel is...
you've got an error in hardware, software, or both.
Yeah, that really narrows it down

I'd back up your critical files, just in case the problem turns out to be a short forming in the hard drive. It's definitely a hardware issue, because software causes a blue screen with an error message (and no beeping). Could be a one-time thing (like Bajah said), but why take chances.

How long after you hit the power button did the three long beeps start? Was there an error message, or just a blank black screen? If it was right away, it'd have to be a critical component (power supply, processor, mobo, or RAM failure). Odds are the power supply isn't completely dead (even if it's failing) because you had light, sound, and (probably) fans. If it took around 30 seconds after pressing the button before the beeps, it could be a loose cable on the hard drive (no boot partition found; results in error message) or a video card failure. It could also be a loose keyboard plug, depending on the system (some PCs won't boot unless everything's connected).

Note: Unlike most kinds of hardware failure, a short circuit in any device will prevent the PC from booting at all.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Vorago
posted 03-30-2005 11:43:09 AM
Well, it wasn't right away, if I had to guess I would say maybe 10-15 sec after starting the computer up, about the time it would take for me to go across the room and remove my backpack and jacket, then I heard the beeps.

Secondly, where exactly do I find what my mobo is? Plenty of options in the device manager, har, just want to make sure I am giving the correct information

Going to back up my pr0n and schoolwork stuff just in case something does go apocalyptic on me

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 03-30-2005 01:15:22 PM
I still say if anything it's the power supply.
Vorago
posted 03-30-2005 01:59:05 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Bajah!
I still say if anything it's the power supply.

If the power supply does happen to go on me I assume my comp just plain won't do anything at some point after it conks out?

(Just making sure this isn't one of those 'fix it now because if it goes it will take everything with it!' kind of problems, heh)

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 03-30-2005 02:02:04 PM
That's one of two possibilities.

The other is that the power supply will shit out a dying breath of too much power all at once and short your motherboard.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-30-2005 02:06:51 PM
quote:
Vorago really knows where their towel is...
If the power supply does happen to go on me I assume my comp just plain won't do anything at some point after it conks out?

(Just making sure this isn't one of those 'fix it now because if it goes it will take everything with it!' kind of problems, heh)

Unless you get a huge power surge through or from the power supply, which is unlikely, you shouldn't take any additional damage from a failing power supply. If the power supply is failing, meaning it still works but doesn't put out enough power for all your devices, then the computer could fail when it tries to run the harddrives or media drives. So a failing power supply remains a possibility, though not necessarily the most likely one.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: