EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I normally dont do this
Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 03-23-2005 01:29:31 PM
But I was so proud of how the rework of this piece came out that I just hadda share =).. I may/may not be done with it *laugh* Ive a few things Im pondering about. As I said, just thought I would share.

Will link to the before and after of it so you can see the progress. =)

-Synny

Original

Revamp

"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Maradon!
posted 03-23-2005 01:32:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic work, but I hate the way they both look. I've always hated the way that picture looked.

She looks mildly retarded.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-23-2005 01:35:25 PM
Wow, some very nice improvement there, Synnay! ^.^
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Steven Steve
posted 03-23-2005 01:35:35 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic work, but I hate the way they both look. I've always hated the way that picture looked.

She looks mildly retarded.

Haha yes, I'd agree. However, the new one is a drastic and impressive improvement over the last one. Good job.

Fazum'Zen Fastfist fucked around with this message on 03-23-2005 at 01:35 PM.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 03-23-2005 01:51:55 PM
Yeah, it's a matter of taste. It is excellent work, don't let me put a damper on you, I just have to shoot my mouth off at least once a day.
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 03-23-2005 01:53:34 PM
I think it's a fabulous improvement! *makes faces at the boys*
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 03-23-2005 02:11:16 PM
holy crap, that's one heck of an improvement. You did an incredible job on that hair
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 03-23-2005 03:10:45 PM
The hair pwnz. And it's one hell of an improvement over the original. Nice work Syn!

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Ares
posted 03-23-2005 03:11:44 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Bajah was all like:
holy crap, that's one heck of an improvement. You did an incredible job on that hair

And the necklace!!

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 03-23-2005 03:13:32 PM
Good art, though her facial expression bothers me for some reason
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-23-2005 03:17:07 PM
The hair is good, but as my uncle the animator once said about a cape I drew on a superhero character, it's "hiding all the important stuff"

What important stuff? The fact you got away from the "color in the lines" thing from the first. The revamp is a LOT cooler for having lost those lines. They drew attention to themselves and looked odd. The new version's soft, but definite conversions from one surface (chin to neck, neck to shoulders, accent of collarbones) is an excellent improvement.

There are some things I'd further change, but if this you've shown is step one on the road towards perfection, then you're only one more step away. Good job, Syn

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Synjari
Warrior Princess
Cookie Seraphim!
posted 03-23-2005 09:41:39 PM
Thanks for the constructive criticism, folks. I know the areas that needed work. As for the slightly retarded thing.. not sure what is mean't. Perhaps if more elaboration was given as to which areas look off that would be better than just saying you never liked it and it looks slightly retarded.

*nods at Deth* There are still some areas that need reworking.. definately. =)

Just one thing.. ;D the hair itself wasnt meant to hide. I put the same hairstyle and color that I have on the RL me. =) Believe me.. I fixed up the face. =) The hair.. red and black.. have their own seperate layers =)

oops.. last edit.. Ares:

Didn't do the collar.. that was the only manip part of the picture ;D Though I managed to fix it a bit to fit in more with the picture. =)

Synjari fucked around with this message on 03-23-2005 at 09:45 PM.

"Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue." - "Sleepy Hollow"
Steven Steve
posted 03-23-2005 09:49:06 PM
What Maradon means is that it looks too much like the Luclin models
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 03-24-2005 12:50:01 AM
The face is too long, making the eyes seem WAY too far from the nose.

On your average face, the tops of the eyes are about in line with the tops of the ears, and the bottoms of the earlobes are about in line with the bottom of the nose. Here, the bottom of the nose is well below the bottom of the ears, making it look like there's waaay to much space between the nose and eyes. I'm going to guess that this was based on a real life picture, so I can only assume that an element of depth was lost in the transition, resulting in a face that's a bit too flat and vertically long.

Also, the irises of each eye are about the same distance from the outside corner of the eye, but the one on the right shows more white between the iris and the inside corner of the eye, making it look like it's looking off to the left while the right eye is looking straight forward (all left-right indications being from the orientation of the viewer rather than of the subject).

That, combined with the narrowness of the eyes, gives the impression of someone that just might have a bit of a congenital birth defect.

It's the sort of thing that you don't really see if you study the picture long enough, but you pick up on right away if you're seeing the picture for the first time.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 03-24-2005 at 12:51 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: