EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Matrix Online Review (Image Intensive)
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 02:50:48 AM
It's a bit of an underdog in the whole MMOG scene, but needless to say The Matrix is reborn in this upcoming game by Monolith. (Release date: March 22nd, 2005)

The premise? The events of the Matrix trilogy have happened. Like the latter two movies or not, the storyline was one amazing piece of work artistically, as was the cinematography elements that brought all the symbolism and hidden references to life.

As we last left the events, Neo had made an immense sacrifice. Not just for humankind, but the machines as well. A realization was made in that machines and humans needed each other for survival, and with a truce between them he ended the war.

What's next? The Matrix Online.

This is not side story, it's not subplot. This is canon, the continuation of the saga. Events take place in real time, major characters exist within the game and are real people taking on their respective roles as fellow role-players.

Presentation

Like all MMOGs, you begin the game in character creation. MxO is no different, and begins the game very familiar to those with even minimal knowledge of the films. You start with the black screen with green text, typing out the beginning of a trace program. You hear voice-overs about searching for a new potential redpill. The operator hacks into a security camera and the screen is displayed, rotating along a busy road where many people walk along.

You begin your search by inputting a personality quirk that determines your beginning stats. (+2 to one, -2 to another). This "narrows down" your search, and you're able to fully customize your looks. This ranges from hair color/style to skin tone to face type or tattoos.

It's not as huge as CoH's myriad of options, however it is a far stride ahead of more recent creation engines like in FFXI or WoW. While the options aren't as varied as SWG or EQ2, my personal opinion is that the characters end up looking better and more human than the widely-customizable ones. However, you won't find direct clones unless they follow stereotypes such as "Neo." Speaking of which, that's a widely-discussed potential downfall of the game. Let me assure you though, the mindless Neo wannabes will be squashed by the game's challenge factor, which I'll discuss later.

The UI is intuitive, but it takes some getting used to. You have your health bar, what's called and Inner Strength bar and your exp bar/bubbles. Inner Strength is what's called Mana or Power in other games, but it regens much faster and is used for most all abilities. Top-center is your usual hotbar setup with multiple pages. It transforms during close combat, however, but I'll get into that later. In the lower left is a multi-sectioned chat window. The top section is for all non-dialogue text, the middle section is for chat-related text, and the bottom is where you type your messages. There are several other buttons that bring up windows and menus of sorts, which are self-explanatory. A radar is located at the bottom, and a re-sizable map can be brought up with M.

Graphics

Like most MMOGs, MxO is as pretty as your computer can handle. At maximum settings, it is pretty damn impressive. One thing I have to note as spectacular is the sense of environment. The clouds, sky, moon, rain, etc. are done with a very artistic sense. And when creepy events happen like the end-of-beta Armageddon.. they're able to make it REALLY creepy.

One very small touch that I personally find beautiful are the shadows that come down from the clouds. If you look at the ground, you can see the soft and subtle shadows of clouds as they move through the sky. Subtle, yet quite effective.

As good as the graphics are, they can scale quite well. For those with lower settings, you can run the game quite smoothly by toning down some of the more tasking elements (such as realistic shadows, anti-aliasing, overbright[bloom], activeworld [adds cars and pedestrians to the world], high-res textures) However, even on high-end settings, the graphics do well to seamlessly limit themselves in order to present dozens of players on screen at once without a huge dip in frame rate. It's mainly the latency that dips. More on that later.

As it currently stands, the graphics are great but sometimes issues with jerkiness do pop up. This is mainly to do with the game requiring a high amount of RAM in order to function with all its settings on. I like my games to look pretty, so I sometimes become masochistic in what I turn on and live with. Were I less voracious about the shiny, I'm sure it would run a lot smoother. In general the frame rate stays on the low side, but it's not a major problem unless you demand all games should play at 60fps.

Sound

The audio department is in very good hands. On the musical side of the equation, you have Don Davis, the original composer for the trilogy, providing every bit of music for the game. It's not all his typical orchestral stuff, however. He has taken a lot of techno and metal influences from the movies' licensed soundtrack and incorporated his style into it, much like his collaboration with Juno Reactor for the highway scene in Reloaded and the end credits in Revolutions.

Something I found interesting, from a compositional perspective, is that every piece of music in the game is not through-composed. They consist of chunks of music that seem to be mixed on the fly, based on what's going on and where you are. Music will transition between ambient roaming music to battle music upon entering combat on a dime. The series of loops builds as the battle escalates, and when you win the battle, the current section of the piece comes to a conclusion at the end of its loop. The ambient track then kicks in again. Enter a building for a mission? More tense music comes on, MGS style, bringing you into the moment of infiltration into some enemy apartment or offices.

On the audio end, you have some very well-done sound effects. Battle sounds are quite convincing, especially since battle itself is very cinematic now. (Again, more on that later.) There are also some very top-rate voiceovers in various sections of the game, including the cut scenes when the plot moves forward. Nearly all of the main characters not only have their likenesses modeled for the game, but they also lend their voice talent to the characters as well.

Gameplay

There are many layers to the gameplay, but I'll start with the very first which is the combat system.

The first layer of combat is referred to as either "free fire" or "out of combat". This is where things resemble other MMORPGs the most. You can use a ranged weapon, which is on a timer depending on the gun type. Each shot is a dice roll against your opponent based on your Ranged Combat Tactics and level. If you win the roll, you hit, and your damage is indicated by the weapon and your Ranged Damage modifier.

At ranged, you can also use abilities as well as hacker "programs" which are the equivalent to spells. Offensive spells are things like logic bombs, DoT and status ailment spells are viruses, and restorative spells are patches.

The second layer of combat is called "interlock" or "in combat". In this mode, you are locked into a battle against your opponent. Movement is no longer an option unless you escape from interlock much like how a single-player RPG battle works. Of course, while in interlock your characters are moving constantly in a series of wire-fu inspired choreography based on your attacks. Interlock can take place with either bare fists or guns.

Combat in Interlock is based on short combat rounds in a 1-on-1 setting. Each round, your choice of attack can be one of 4 styles: Speed, Power, Throw or Block (each with their own set of animations). Your opponent will be doing the same, but it is not rock-paper-scissors like one might think. Speed attacks are hard-hitting and have a chance to dizzy. Power attacks are slower and medium-damage with a chance to stun. Throw attacks are low damage, but higher success, disarm your opponent and have a chance to cause disorientation. Winning a block will successfully block, remove status ailments, and regen your Inner Strength.

When the combat round takes place, you roll against your opponent based on your Combat Tactics and level. Highest number wins and gets the attack (or block, if you choose that) dealing damage. You also have the choice to replace your next round's attack with a special attack. Special attacks have unique animations, often dealing more damage than a normal attack and looking much more badass. (A particular show-stopped is the Martial Arts Initiate move Guard Breaker, which is your typical SF-style Shoryuken.) Also in place with interlock is the random opportunity for bullet time. It will usually go off when you deal a killing blow or a nice chunk of damage.

There are a few issues to work out regarding interlock, one of which being the camera. Since the game goes for a cinematic style to battles, the camera will come alive and do its own thing to make battles look as cool as they can. This can help or hinder you, depending on the situation. If you're on the lookout for potential adds, it can be a pain. If you're confident and want to focus on the battle, it can be quite rewarding. Transition from interlock camera back to normal camera can also be a tad jarring, especially if an enemy is firing on you while you wait for the transition to happen. It's being worked on internally, however.

The next aspect of gameplay I should cover is the myriad of things you can do in order to progress:

- Missions
You can get these from one of two places. You'll always have cell phone numbers for your current organization contact. (You can ally yourself with one of the three major powers in the world: Zion, Machines or the Merovingian.) They'll give you critical missions to the storyline and generic randomly-generated missions if you just need something to do.

There are also various standalone mission givers within the city that give you various static missions in the general area they are located in. Rewards for most missions are experience points and $information, the currency of redpills.

- Collectors
There are various gangs scattered throughout the city neighborhoods. Killing members of the same gang usually yields some sort of collectable unique to that gang. There are collectors stationed in that neighborhood that will trade you a certain amount of those collectables for a very nice piece of enhanced clothing.

The final aspect of gameplay I should touch upon is the ability system. Everyone starts off as an Awakened, fresh to the life as a redpill, freed from the system. This contains several core abilities like hyper running and jumping, as well as things that allow you to establish the enemy's weakness for interlock combat.

Further branching out, the player decides between three paths. Coder, which contains the ability to craft and create simulacra; pets of sorts that fit various roles. Hackers, which are the "spell casters." Operatives, which are the melee or ranged damage dealers. Further branching out, Coders can go strictly crafting or creating simulacra. Hackers can become a healer or a damage dealer. Operatives can become an espionage-using Spy or combat-oriented Soldier. Of course even these trees can further diversify, creating an intricate web of possibilities for players to follow.

The intriguing part of all this is that, true to the Matrix style, you are able to switch out abilities any time at a Hardline, provided you have enough $info to buy them and pay for upgrades. This allows for a very flexible character development system, but the expensive nature of upgrading will keep people concentrated on one track for the most part.

Community and Customer Service

This is probably the most important part of any MMOG in my honest opinion. When all is said in done, MMOGs are very social games. To keep up with this, the game is only as good as the community and developers that support it.

Ultimately, MxO as a game is not perfect. There are bugs that need to be worked out. There are things to polish and shape. One of the more major issues is that of latency and lag problems experienced. But I have full faith in the developers for doing this efficiently and with a good approach. In a recent interview, one of the lead developers noted that their whole concept of class balance is that if something is more powerful, boosting the rest instead of nerfing the singular is the most responsible way of dealing with balance. It is a standard they hope to continue throughout the game's life.

Customer Service as I have experienced it so far, in beta and now retail, is swift and with a very helpful and responsive staff of people intent on helping you fix the problem at hand. Who said it couldn't be done?

As for the community, many people predicted that it would be rather horrible. Lots of Neo wannabes running around saying they're the one. Thankfully that's just a mockery people like to make when trying to prevent defectors from straying from their game of choice. The actual community is a collection of rather mature players from my experience that are out there to make the continuation of the films the best it possibly can be. There are factions of players that heavily roleplay and create their place within the canon. There's an entire online radio station created solely by fans that plays good music, has good DJs, and integrates themselves into the storyline as well.

The players also make use of in game locations spread throughout the game to organize all kinds of events. The most common event to take place is almost nightly, which would be raves at all sorts of clubs. Often times, the radio station Radio Free Zion will host one of the raves, devoting a certain theme depending on the club it's held at and have a DJ live at the party. They provide great social events to get to know people and just have a clean good time.

This leads full circle back to the developers again. They have responded to all the feedback and involvement from the community and interact with them as part of the official canon. There is a special team of people at Monolith that are the live events team. They oversee the game every day of its operation and are each assigned a specific role within the story to play. One will play Morpheus, one is Seraph, etc. And these people log in as the characters and roleplay alongside the players. Some times there's scripted dialogue they follow, some times it's improvisation based on their extensive knowledge of the character. From what I have experienced though, it is all very well handled and executed and makes the game worth playing despite bugs, despite things that still need to be ironed out.

Closing Comments

I hope I've covered all the major parts that MxO has to offer. As I mentioned, the game is not perfect. There are bugs to work out and a bit of polish to apply to things, but the team is more than capable of the work ahead of them.

Of course, the game is not for everyone. The challenge presented by a combat system that requires strategy and thought will turn off some players used to the traditional MMOG faire. There is also not a gigantic world to explore, though the city is absolutely huge. It is a more urban environment, so it takes a certain type of person to appreciate the aesthetics applied.

With that said, if you love the Matrix, you will most likely cope with the initial shellshock and love MxO. If you love traditional MMOGs, you may need to enter with an open mind. One statement by the developers I think holds strong: MxO was not built to compete with existing MMOGs, as it attracts a wholly different crowd. I think this is very true, and in my opinion it has hit many strong points in my personal preferences in gaming.

~Cobalt

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-22-2005 03:29:00 AM
Hey, thanks a lot for that review. I was looking for something like that.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 03:42:51 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Tarquinn wrote:
Hey, thanks a lot for that review. I was looking for something like that.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-22-2005 04:16:26 AM
Can you give a four sentence summary?
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 03-22-2005 06:13:32 AM
Man now your making me want to play...

Very nice job by the way.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Vinven D`Slyfox
posted 03-22-2005 06:25:47 AM
Your on Enu, right Cobalt?

excellent review btw, let's get some more peeps over here.

Vinven D`Slyfox fucked around with this message on 03-22-2005 at 06:27 AM.

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 09:43:31 AM
quote:
From the book of Vinven D`Slyfox, chapter 3, verse 16:
Your on Enu, right Cobalt?

excellent review btw, let's get some more peeps over here.

I'm on LineNoise actually. I wanted to get away from the majority of the popular beta factions since I know they'll be leading the story on their server.

My intent wasn't really to "convert", just to let people know the scoop on the game since it's not exactly conventional or overwhelmingly popular on these boards.

quote:

MxO is an entertaining modern-style game. Combat and roleplaying opportunities rock. Bugs and lag need a bit of work and polish. Devs are quite capable and the community is solid.

That work?

Cobalt Katze fucked around with this message on 03-22-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-22-2005 09:52:50 AM
What's the difference between the three factions?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 10:08:49 AM
quote:
Tarquinn enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
What's the difference between the three factions?

A bit of terminology clearup, factions are the player-run guilds that are made up of hovership crews. The three 'factions' are called organizations, which factions align themselves with.

As for how they differ: The missions they get and their outlook on how to shape events as they occur.

Zionists are all about freeing humanity back to the real world. Some are more loyal to Zion itself, which is for retaining the truce. Morpheus on the other hand continues his crusade for total freedom.
Machinists are about countering Zion's efforts in the interest of maintaining the machine's power source. Though they also have a deep hatred for the Matrix and wish to be rid of it.
Those in the Merovingian's organization cherish the Matrix as it is the means of their existance, and so they play middle-man to ensure there is never a winner in the effort between Zion and machines.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-22-2005 10:39:34 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan obviously shouldn't have said:

Anarchy Online with better everything.

At least, that's what it looks like.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 03:01:20 PM
Wow. Awesome review.

You mentioned hoverships, does this mean that part of the game exists in the "real world" or does it only take place in the actual Matrix?

There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 03:10:51 PM
quote:
Mr. Crabs probably says this to all the girls:
Wow. Awesome review.

You mentioned hoverships, does this mean that part of the game exists in the "real world" or does it only take place in the actual Matrix?

Everything I've heard about the game says it takes place entirely in the matrix. No real world at all.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-22-2005 03:13:27 PM
I'm considering getting MxO. However, I am still on the fence about it. Convince me that I should or should not. Go.
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 05:38:22 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about pies:
I'm considering getting MxO. However, I am still on the fence about it. Convince me that I should or should not. Go.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-22-2005 08:04:17 PM
How does combat not become a onesided beatfest? From what I have seen of the combat system it seems to be an all or nothing type deal where a weaker entity has little to no chance to inflict any harm whatsoever.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 03-22-2005 09:17:54 PM
Is MxO the same people as CoH?

Because they look almost exactly the same.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-22-2005 09:29:15 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Arttemis:

The setting design looks like HL2 meets CoH, yeah

don't think it's the same people, though.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 11:43:01 PM
I don't understand. I thought the war was mostly over at the end of the 3rd movie. The architect said that those who want to be free of the matrix would be, so why are they still fighting inside of it?
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 03-23-2005 01:37:34 AM
quote:
From the book of Noxhil2, chapter 3, verse 16:
I don't understand. I thought the war was mostly over at the end of the 3rd movie. The architect said that those who want to be free of the matrix would be, so why are they still fighting inside of it?

They're not openly fighting yet. The truce is still in effect, though there is a lot of tension between the sides.

One of the major reasons behind the truce being put at risk is Morpheus. The machines have Neo's body, and he wants it back for Zion as it is the symbol of their road towards freedom. The machines aren't complying, for whatever reason, which is unknown at the time. In retalliation, Morpheus has decided to attempt to shake the Matrix by awakening as many redpills as he can, putting their power supply at a risk until they give in. No one likes this though. Both Zion and the Machines want the truce. Exiles couldn't give a rat's ass if there's peace or war, as long as the Matrix is intact. So in effect, you have Commander Lock of Zion ordering people to reign in Morpheus and return him to Zion. The Machines find him in violation of the truce and want him taken out by any means necissary.

So it's a lot more than just happy peace time let's eat crumpets.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-23-2005 01:49:20 AM
It'd be nice to know the motivations behind the Machines, otherwise it just seems like a cruddy plot.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 03-23-2005 03:24:03 AM
The Machines don't like the reality that they are woken up to. They want to make sure that the Matrix in it's current state persists. Thus they work to counteract anything that the Zionists try and do. At least from my understanding of the plot.
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 03-23-2005 10:43:47 AM
quote:
Naimah wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
The Machines don't like the reality that they are woken up to. They want to make sure that the Matrix in it's current state persists. Thus they work to counteract anything that the Zionists try and do. At least from my understanding of the plot.

Additionally, the machinists are humans that believe that the Matrix is a way of the machines saving the human race from themselves. The whole conflict with them began by humans actually creating the machines in the first place, then began blindly striking out against them because they couldn't accept that with AI they had spawned a new race of thinking creatures, albeit mechanical. Humans didn't understand what they were responsible to do, and so constantly sacrificed themselves in order to eradicate what they had created. What the machines did in creating the Matrix was a two-fold operation: 1) Find a power source to survive since the sun had been blocked off. 2) Save humanity from itself by placing them in an eternal dream of paradise. (Which didn't work, but that was their initial idea.)

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 03-23-2005 10:57:21 AM
quote:
Arttemis had this to say about John Romero:

Warner Bros Interactive and Monolith Productions (now their inhouse studio) put MxO together.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 03-23-2005 11:17:18 AM
There have been hints as well that perhaps the Machines don't have Neo's body because he may not be dead.
http://www.bloodfin.net
Lashanna
noob
posted 03-23-2005 03:55:07 PM
I kind of want to lean towards Exiles.

All Players are just Redpills working for the various factions, right?

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Vinven D`Slyfox
posted 03-23-2005 04:15:12 PM
quote:
Lashanna had this to say about Robocop:
I kind of want to lean towards Exiles.

All Players are just Redpills working for the various factions, right?

Basically yes. If you take the blue pill, it exits you out of the game. Otherwise if you could play a blue pill, it would sorta be like a watered down version of The Sims.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 03-23-2005 05:19:04 PM
Did they explain how humans are an energy-for-free source yet?
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-23-2005 05:37:47 PM
quote:
Kaglaaz How'ler enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
There have been hints as well that perhaps the Machines don't have Neo's body because he may not be dead.

Boooooooo.

I don't think I could stand another Matrix movie.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-23-2005 05:51:13 PM
Huh... maybe I'll apply to the GM job here at Monolith for MxO after all...
Lashanna
noob
posted 03-23-2005 06:03:27 PM
quote:
Vinven D`Slyfox stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Basically yes. If you take the blue pill, it exits you out of the game. Otherwise if you could play a blue pill, it would sorta be like a watered down version of The Sims.

I wasn't implying that you'd be playing a Bluepill otherwise. I was thinking more along the lines that if you sided with Exiles, would you be an abandoned AI program, and if you sided with machines, would that make you a program in their service.

That seems much neater to me than just playing humans working for everyone else.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 03-23-2005 07:02:16 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan was naked while typing this:
Boooooooo.

I don't think I could stand another Matrix movie.

Seriously, the third one was bad enough.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 03-23-2005 09:20:12 PM
quote:
How.... Snugglits.... uughhhhhh:
Seriously, the third one was bad enough.

Having not seen the 3rd movie yet (playing the Matrix Online spoiled a thing or two) I agree heartily that they should leave it as it is. I was just passing on what was implied by one of the things I'd seen. I'm sure there are fanbois out there spooging themselves at the possibility of finding Neo in the game. Which is probably exactly why it's implied in the first place.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Lashanna
noob
posted 03-23-2005 09:42:51 PM
What was the decision on some sort of EC server/faction?
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 03-23-2005 09:47:27 PM
First Matrix = sex

Second and Third Matrix = getting hit in the head fifty times with a mallet that has "DESTINY LOL" written on it

That said, is there or will there be any sort of free trial available?

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Lashanna
noob
posted 03-24-2005 01:35:31 AM
Holy god.

After the ease of World of Warcraft, and the easily recognizable and understandable icons, Matrix is confusing as HELL. I may need to tweak my visual settings, but the screen seems cramped, and I have like, 12 abilities that I don't understand etc..

It feels really neat. It's like CoH and AO taken to the next level.

The smooth instancing is pretty neat. You walk into a building, you go up an elevator or what not, and you're in an instanced area. No stops, no breaks, etc.

I've only seen a very small area, but it seems pretty neat.

I feel character creation was alright... Hairstyle choices, atleast for women, is wtf. Apparently part of being an intrepid coder/hacker/operative is rebelling against the conventional school of thought that is "hairstyle".

Out of all the styles, only one is of medium length, and it's horribly frizzy and spikey (spikey out and down, not spiked up), etc. All the rest are short, and make fairly liberal use of braiding and chopsticks. The hair colors were a bit off too. Trinity's haircut is in there. Hooray.

The player head faces and hair reminds me a lot of Planetside, in fact, I'd swear some of them were the exact same graphics.

The game needs some polishing from a UI aspect.

Combat seems really hard, but pretty interesting, and certainly looks cool. It has more varied combat animations than I've ever seen. The only problem is that you end up with security guards doing some crazy kung fu moves, even though they're just security guards.

As far as I can tell, melee combat is like Rock, Paper, Scissors, except you have like twelve different rocks of varying hardness, a few sheets of paper, and your choice of professional or paper scissors. I'm not very good at it.

If I had been recently playing DAoC or maybe even EQ, the game might not seem so difficult to understand or complicated, but I think WoW has really spoiled me.

Vinven D`Slyfox
posted 03-24-2005 01:49:14 AM
Cobalt is one linenoise, but me and Alberd are on Enumerator. Enu is sorta the rp/pvp server. I'm Nightravyn ingame.

The interface can seem abit unfamiliar, but all abilities should have details listed on them. You may wish to try a tutorial at MxO vault or whatnot if you are having any difficulty with your classs/abilities etc. And you can send me or Alb a tell if you are on Enu and we will be glad to help ya out.

Lashanna
noob
posted 03-24-2005 09:50:52 AM
Well, I want to be a Coder, and was having lots of trouble figuring out stuff...

I'm currently on Linenoise as well.

I saw Enumerator was a high population PvP server, and wasn't sure if I was ready to start on something like that, when I know so little of the game.

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 03-24-2005 10:45:53 AM
quote:
Lashanna probably says this to all the girls:
As far as I can tell, melee combat is like Rock, Paper, Scissors, except you have like twelve different rocks of varying hardness, a few sheets of paper, and your choice of professional or paper scissors. I'm not very good at it.

Everyone seems to think it's Rock-Paper-Scissors at first, when it really isn't. The closest thing it can be compared to is D&D where you roll against your opponent. The different stances are used to more degrees of success once you get the passive ability that allows you to sense enemy weak points that'll flash under your targetting window. If you use the corresponding stance, you'll have a better roll and do a bit more damage. Another way they're used is when Martial Artists specialize in their style of combat. Aikido enhances your Throw stance, Kung Fu enhances your Speed stance and Karate enhances your Power stance.

quote:
I saw Enumerator was a high population PvP server, and wasn't sure if I was ready to start on something like that, when I know so little of the game.

Hostile servers just mean that when the truce breaks down ingame, characters over level 16 of opposing factions will be able to attack eachother. On normal servers, it's set up like WoW where you have PvP flags that go off if you initiate it or assist/attack someone with their flag on. And this is all when the truce goes into question, it's not in effect now since the story hasn't progressed to that point yet.

Cobalt Katze fucked around with this message on 03-24-2005 at 10:48 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: