EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I need serious opinions!
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 03-17-2005 01:16:34 AM
By the end of April, I will be making 30K a year at McDonald's. The other day, one of my old bosses called me up and offered me another job. It pays slightly less(though the hourly pay will be better for the next few months; I currently make 7.90 an hour, and it will be paying 9 an hour), and after about three months there I will be making 28K a year. The new job, which pays slightly less, also doesn't have benefits that are quite as nice as McDonald's.

However, the new job offer is far, far, far, far less stressful than managing a McDonald's.

ohnose what do i do

Zair
The Imp
posted 03-17-2005 01:22:08 AM
DOes this new job offer a better chance at advancement?

Are you the manager of the McDolalds, or were you just implying that you pretty much do the job of the manager, just without the title and pay?

Snoota
posted 03-17-2005 01:26:27 AM
I'm currently a Shift Manager, and at the end of April will be bumped up to an Assistant Manager.

And the other job probably has a better chance of advancement in the short term. They are opening up 20something new stores in Las Vegas in the next few years, and the guy wants to bump me up to his Assistant Manager as soon as I can do the written tests(which he figures will take two months or so, give or take. the three months was guessing on the slow side), which means in a year or so of doing that I'll be in a spot to grab up one of the new stores they'll be opening at about that time.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 03-17-2005 01:31:20 AM
What kind of company?

Why not wait to test for the Assistant Manager position before working there? I don't like promises of promotions. Oftentimes they don't materialize.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-17-2005 01:32:48 AM
What would you be doing in the new one? More or less what you're doing now?
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 03-17-2005 01:35:34 AM
You forgot to mention the benefit that stupid people on the interweb wont be able to go 'OMG U WURK AT MCDONALDS?!?!' anymore when half of them don't even have jobs themselves
Snoota
posted 03-17-2005 01:36:03 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Vernaltemptress was all like:
What kind of company?

Why not wait to test for the Assistant Manager position before working there? I don't like promises of promotions. Oftentimes they don't materialize.

It's Einstein Brother's Bagels. A pretty big nationwide bagel shop/cafe chain, though I don't think it's called Einstein's on the East Coast.

And coincidently, that is why I'm even thinking about leaving; my area supervisor is a lying piece of shit that hasn't done one thing for me in four years, so I have no faith in his promise of a promotion at the end of April. But the other guy asked me to come in specifically to fill that spot. The two months is just time for me to learn everything I need to know. He can't hire me on directly as an Assistant Manager, so he's hiring me on with the highest hourly position he can. Which is the Baker, even though I won't even be doing any baking after I learn how to the first week.

It's kind of dumb, though. He can't HIRE an Assistant Manager, but he can promote someone to the position anytime he wants.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 03-17-2005 01:38:41 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Snoota wrote:
It's Einstein Brother's Bagels. A pretty big nationwide bagel shop/cafe chain, though I don't think it's called Einstein's on the East Coast.

it is.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 03-17-2005 01:45:28 AM
quote:
Snoota was listening to Cher while typing:
It's kind of dumb, though. He can't HIRE an Assistant Manager, but he can promote someone to the position anytime he wants.

Companies do that so they can limit the raise for a promotion to another/higher position by a percentage of your previous pay instead of paying the advertised or prevailing pay range.

The growth potential of a bagel company is dependent on how well the Atkins Diet, et all influences the market. So long as whole wheat and other low carb choices as available, you should be okay. According to their website, they do offer those kind of choices.

Bagel sandwiches are yummy!

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 03-17-2005 01:50:52 AM
Whatever you do I wish you luck. I don't know anything about McD or Einsteins to give you advice though.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-17-2005 01:58:08 AM
So long as you still have the basic benefits (I.E. Medical), you should be fine with the new place. Less stress is worth a couple K less a year.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 03-17-2005 02:28:16 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr impressed everyone with:
So long as you still have the basic benefits (I.E. Medical), you should be fine with the new place. Less stress is worth a couple K less a year.

I agree, stress can cause you to get sick and a sick Snoota cannot go to work.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
CBTao
Pancake
posted 03-17-2005 02:29:45 AM
its also better to come home smelling like warm bagels than like fried potatoes, the women will notice.
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 03-17-2005 02:52:14 AM
I dunno, my sister worked her way from grill operator to assistant manager at McD's, then onto managing the office of a large construction company. From there she hooked up with a large commercial real estate developer and got a job managing a shopping center. She's currently a regional manager overseeing all their properties in the southeast, and making the big bucks in the process.

My point would be McDonald's isn't going anywhere, and the management experience you get there will be beneficial in the long run. The bagel place might be as well, but at the least I'd hold out for an offer that isn't a step backwards.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-17-2005 07:38:23 AM
It's not a step backwards. He'd be making more as a baker than as a shift manager, and as he's specifically noted, the person is hiring him with the intent to make him an assistant manager. The assistant managers at Einstein's make slightly less money and benefits, but it seems like the difference is compensation for stress differences. Plus he might pick up a full manager position in a new store down the line.

So long as you can live on the lower salary (around here $30K is barely scraping by, but costs are lower where you live), I'd say to make the change. If anyone asks in the future, you needn't even mention the possible McD promotion (especially since you doubt the reliability of its source), only that you got offered an assistant manager position at Einstein's following a two-month evaluation period.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 03-17-2005 at 07:40 AM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Sean
posted 03-17-2005 08:14:05 AM
Get an agreement in writing, then go for it.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 03-17-2005 08:47:49 AM
I would tell the new place that you have an advancement coming up next moth for 30k a year and the benifits.. see if there is a counter offer. even if they bump you up to 30k with less benifits i would say go for the new place. McDonalds will always be there if you want to go back.
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 03-17-2005 11:17:49 PM
man, there's lots of questions to ask yourself here.

first look into how much it would cost to get insurance equal to what you have now w/ McD's (you did say that the new job will NOT have insurance right?)

dont think about your salary/year as what you WILL be making in a few months, but think of it as, "is it better than what I have right now?" Like someone mentioned before, they may say you're going to give you a raise/promotion, but I wouldnt trust anyone. Things happen...

Are there any other bagel franchises in vegas now? If so, go ask them how business is. Remember that if they're adding a bunch of new bagle stores to the area that the business will most likely be less. no bagel shops? look for something similar, like donut shops. just tell them that you're thinking of opening your own and you were curious as to how they're doing (this especially works if you ask a franchise and tell them you're opening in an area that wont impact their business, ie across town).

just a few ideas i had for ya. when you make a career change, it's good to know all the facts before hand.

good luck!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-18-2005 07:35:05 AM
quote:
Sean thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Get an agreement in writing, then go for it.

Yeah the big thing here is the forward momentum. Depending on the benefits, this might not be worth it. If it is worth it, the worth is contingent on a promotion in the mid-future. I'd be wanting some guarantees about that promotion before I gave up superior benefits and pay.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-18-2005 10:08:24 AM
It's Einsten's in the Midwest and at least here they're pretty popular. It's THE place to get bagels. Dunno how it is in Vegas.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 03-18-2005 11:13:05 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote this stupid crap:
It's Einsten's in the Midwest and at least here they're pretty popular. It's THE place to get bagels. Dunno how it is in Vegas.

I've never evern heard of Einstein's.. In Seattle, it's all about Noah's Bagels.

In any case, I very strongly dislike McDonalds, so I'd personally suggest the bagel joint

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-18-2005 11:29:27 AM
Never seen an Einstein's here, but we have bagel shoppes up the wazoo (and everywhere else). Probably we just don't have the same niche open to them as most of the country does.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Snoota
posted 03-18-2005 02:39:54 PM
quote:
This one time, at Cobalt Katze camp:
I've never evern heard of Einstein's.. In Seattle, it's all about Noah's Bagels.

I'm almost positive that Noah's and Einstein's are the same company.

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 03-18-2005 02:40:27 PM
quote:
Cobalt Katze said this about your mom:

noah's rules yoo F00!

and they have good bagels

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 03-18-2005 02:42:38 PM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about Captain Planet:
Never seen an Einstein's here, but we have bagel shoppes up the wazoo (and everywhere else). Probably we just don't have the same niche open to them as most of the country does.

Bagels started in New York as a local novelty. It was these enterprises that brought bagels to the rest of the country.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-18-2005 03:31:20 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress really knows where her towel is...
Bagels started in New York as a local novelty. It was these enterprises that brought bagels to the rest of the country.
It was pretty much the same thing with pizza, except that pizza also had a foothold in the Chicago area. Hence the two well-known styles of pizza: the New York pie and the Chicago deep dish.

But I digress.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-18-2005 05:06:27 PM
Stay with McDonald's.

The pay's better, and you have opportunities to move up in a huge corporation, making your ultimate earnings potential fairly unlimited.

Stress is simply a by-product of success. If you're not stressed, you're not trying.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Snoota
posted 03-19-2005 03:54:07 AM
quote:
Bloodsage got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Stay with McDonald's.

The pay's better, and you have opportunities to move up in a huge corporation, making your ultimate earnings potential fairly unlimited.

Stress is simply a by-product of success. If you're not stressed, you're not trying.

Actually, McDonald's offers little to no chance of moving up. Without getting a Doctorate in Business or some related field, I'm about three steps below the glass ceiling.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-19-2005 04:43:06 AM
quote:
Snoota was naked while typing this:
Actually, McDonald's offers little to no chance of moving up. Without getting a Doctorate in Business or some related field, I'm about three steps below the glass ceiling.

Sounds like you've made up your mind.

Go with the way that makes you happy, my child. To live through life without living with what you want to do is to live a half-life.

Snoota
posted 03-19-2005 04:52:55 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Pirotess:
Sounds like you've made up your mind.

Go with the way that makes you happy, my child. To live through life without living with what you want to do is to live a half-life.

Well, neither making bagels nor making hamburgers is going to exactly make me happy.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 03-19-2005 04:54:55 AM
quote:
Snoota impressed everyone with:
Well, neither making bagels nor making hamburgers is going to exactly make me happy.

Herpes or syphilis, then

Steven Steve
posted 03-19-2005 12:53:26 PM
I also agree that you should take the bagel job because it's less stressful. Besides, bagels are better than McDonald's hamburgers! Your current pay kind of blows me away because minimum wage here in Oregon is $7.25 (but then again we have one of the highest unemployment rates) and you've been working with McDonald's for quite a while. Take the bagel store, it'll be more enjoyable and a better short term, hopefully, solution to a long term problem.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-19-2005 01:09:29 PM
quote:
`Doc's account was hax0red to write:

There is an Einstein bagels in my area, and one in Redbank I belive. But the local guys make them much better, the best local on is in Belmar.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-19-2005 01:15:02 PM
Snoots, have you thought about going to Community College? Maybe if you took some business and/or restaurant management classes you could move upwards in whatever company you decide to choose.
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 03-19-2005 02:55:35 PM
quote:
Bloodsage got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Stay with McDonald's.

A little stress I would agree with but as an ex employee of a huge corporation the stress there is oftentimes not a healthy thing. The stress in the large corporation was due to the fact that, although I was a good worker, they felt I made too much because I had been in my position for three years and made about 65 cents more an hour then a brand new promotee. Therefore I was asked to continuously go above and beyond to justify my existence since I didn't fit their average pay scale. I was passed over for promotion and a raise three times and the store ended up without anyone in that position and I was doing the work anyway. I always got good reviews but when it came right down to it they forced me out in favor of someone who fit the scale. Their employee relations philosophy, quoted to me several times, was "If you don't we'll find someone who will." I was expected to relay that to my employees as well. In short, I could go to work, work my ass off and come home feeling like a failure.

McDonalds may or may not be this way, but if you find that it is, Snoota, then I wouldn't wait around for it to change.

Now I work for a small company and if I feel stressed it's because I have a desire to please the management (Who are all on site and who all once occupied my position) and carry the business. Plus, if I work hard and please the customer then I hear about it. Conversely, if I don't work hard and the customer is angry, I also hear about it. It's a much more normal situation in my eyes.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: