EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: new comp help
frolicking imp
Pancake
posted 03-14-2005 09:03:25 PM
I know this is a broad question but I figured ya'll would be the most helpful. I'm planning on getting a new computer (since mine has like 0 memory and no sound card and living w/o gaming is killing me) And I need to find a good deal. What kind of computer do you most reccomend for gamming, Desktop or laptop, I really dont care. But I'm looking for something that has speed and memory and still under $800.

I was looking at one for $799 with 200GB mem and a pentium 4 proccesor, is that a good deal????

I'm kind of computertarded so any info could be helpful, thanks bunchies.

*A Nypmh hits you and steals your virginity*
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-14-2005 09:07:34 PM
If you're , as you say, 'computertarded' then your best bet is probably getting a prefab like a Dell. At least Dell makes half decent prefabs for an ok price.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-14-2005 09:14:03 PM
quote:
frolicking imp really knows where their towel is...
I know this is a broad question but I figured ya'll would be the most helpful. I'm planning on getting a new computer (since mine has like 0 memory and no sound card and living w/o gaming is killing me) And I need to find a good deal. What kind of computer do you most reccomend for gamming, Desktop or laptop, I really dont care. But I'm looking for something that has speed and memory and still under $800.

I was looking at one for $799 with 200GB mem and a pentium 4 proccesor, is that a good deal????

I'm kind of computertarded so any info could be helpful, thanks bunchies.

It's hard to tell. You've given us the hard drive size, and the line (but not the speed) of the processor. Plus you left out such important figures as the amount of RAM (what more tech savvy folk refer to as memory) and what peripherals (CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDRW, video card, etc) are included. You could, of course, link to the deal you found, and let us examine it directly.

My recommendation is to go here, with going here as a secondary option. Either one should let you get a decent (but not remarkable) machine within your budget.

I do want to thank you for not saying you were getting a 17" computer. That would've set some people (possibly including me) into a tirade.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 03-14-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Mod
Pancake
posted 03-15-2005 01:23:31 AM
Make sure you get at least 512 mb of ram, it's something prefab makers will very often skimp on.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 03-15-2005 01:49:12 AM
And you didn't come to me?
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Maradon!
posted 03-15-2005 03:23:08 AM
For a budget box under $800 or so you really can't beat dell.
frolicking imp
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 05:03:08 PM
quote:
Rodent King wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
And you didn't come to me?

I sorta did dint I? I figured you're on here, so I'd kill two birds w/ one stone and ask eveyone. (inculding you)

Annnywho, so I found out i get a discount w/ Dell from my work. So i was looking at a few and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best deal is. so here they are thanks. I'd send links but I can't so yeah... heres the important stuff listed out. All prices include my discount, and i get free shipping.

Dell Dimension 4700c - $856.08
-Pentium 4 (2.8 GHz)
-512 MB dual channel DRR2 SDRam @ 400MHz
-160 GB Hard drive (7200 RPM)
-24x CD-RW/DVD combo drive
-15" analog flat panel screen
-intel graphics media accelorator
-dell a215 speakers

Dell dimesion 8400 - $959.85
-Pentium 4 (3.0 GHz)
-1 GB dual channel DRR2 SDRam @ 400MHz
-Dual drive
16x DVD-rom(does all that mean its only a dvd drive or can i use CD-ROMs too?)
16x DVD +/- RW
DBL layer capabilities
-128 MB PCI express x16 ATI radeon X300SE video card
-soundblaster live 24 bit advanced audio
-Dell a215 speakers

Dell Dimension 8400 - $1103.63

-Pentium 4 (3.0 GHz)
-1 GB dual channel DRR2 SDRam @ 400MHz
-single drive 16x cd/dvd
-128 MB PCI express x16 ATI radeon X300SE video card
-intergrated 5.1 channel audio
-dell a215 speakers

Tankies!
(im also going to best buy after work so i might have more options i might post later, but thats it for now)

*A Nypmh hits you and steals your virginity*
Mightion Defensor
posted 03-22-2005 06:29:22 PM
Why is choice B, which has add-on sound, $160 cheaper than the same combo with integrated?

I recommend B, myself. Two words you rarely want to hear when discussing playing modern games are "Integrated video".

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-22-2005 07:19:02 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
Why is choice B, which has add-on sound, $160 cheaper than the same combo with integrated?

I recommend B, myself. Two words you rarely want to hear when discussing playing modern games are "Integrated video".

In this case it's integrated audio, not video. Integrated audio is fine, so long as you're not setting up a whole surround-sound entertainment center, with big-screen TV, etc, based around the PC. But yeah, steer clear of anything that says "integrated video", or anything with a video card that nobody recognizes (like the nondescript "intel graphics media accelerator").

And I agree, option B has equivalent hardware to option C, with a few extras, for a lower price. That's the best value of the three, but something seems fishy.

quote:
frolicking imp needs to hitch a ride with a Vogon constructor fleet.
(does all that mean its only a dvd drive or can i use CD-ROMs too?)
It'll read music CDs, data CDs, data DVDs, and DVD movies. The ROM means it won't write (hence the DVD-RW listed below it). The DVD-RW drive should be able to write on both CDR/RW and DVDR media.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 03-22-2005 at 07:22 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 03-22-2005 07:31:23 PM
B
now just get that 1000 dollars you need.
The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: