EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Spyware and Virii and Brothers, oh my!
Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 03-09-2005 02:32:45 AM
So my brother managed to get a ton of viruses and spyware onto my computer while I was sleeping and I'm having trouble getting it working again. I've run adaware, spybot and MS anti spyware and I ran a virus scan.

There's one thing that the spyware programs and antivrius program are both detecting but I can't delete. It's a folder called "isrvs" in the windows directory.

Another big problem is my computer can't seem to get internet access. In fact, it doesn't even get a response when I try to ping our router, even though the computer I'm using right now is working just fine. This happened only after I was able to download an antivirus program and run it.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can fix this?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-09-2005 02:34:04 AM
Windows repair install

and/or

Nuke it from orbit

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 03-09-2005 02:41:18 AM
quote:
Lee Taxx0r's account was hax0red to write:
So my brother managed to get a ton of viruses and spyware onto my computer while I was sleeping and I'm having trouble getting it working again. I've run adaware, spybot and MS anti spyware and I ran a virus scan.

There's one thing that the spyware programs and antivrius program are both detecting but I can't delete. It's a folder called "isrvs" in the windows directory.

Another big problem is my computer can't seem to get internet access. In fact, it doesn't even get a response when I try to ping our router, even though the computer I'm using right now is working just fine. This happened only after I was able to download an antivirus program and run it.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can fix this?

Always reboot into Windows Safe Mode before running a Scan as it loads only the most nesseary drivers required to run. That way you can almost always delete and remove anything that is discovered. Including this isrvs folder you found.

isrvs is a Trojan.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 03-09-2005 at 02:46 AM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 03-09-2005 04:20:46 AM
I went into safe mode and cleaned everything out. The virsus seem to all be gone, but I still can't access my router. I also just noticed my server(apache) wasn't turning on when I restart. When I tried to turn it on manually it said it failed to start.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-09-2005 09:11:09 AM
Your antivirus program could be blocking legitimate applications which it deems a security risk. The same holds true for anything with a built-in firewall (ZoneAlarm, XP-SP2, etc). Try turning off whatever you installed (ie the antivirus), then try your 'net access again.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 03-09-2005 09:30:58 AM
I got my internet and server working again. Some of the spyware had corrupted something and luckily I found a program that fixed it. Thanks for your help.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-09-2005 10:14:54 AM
quote:
Lee Taxx0r's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
I got my internet and server working again. Some of the spyware had corrupted something and luckily I found a program that fixed it. Thanks for your help.

99 times out of 100 it's because something that you removed fucked the LSP stack. Grab LSPFix and bingo.. back in business.

I'd still nuke from orbit. Your brother and maybe the PC as well.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 03-09-2005 11:28:38 PM
I'd smack your brother around for messing with your shit.
Gadani
U
posted 03-09-2005 11:29:47 PM
Just so you know, the plural of "virus" is "viruses".
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-10-2005 02:41:57 AM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Captain Planet:
Just so you know, the plural of "virus" is "viruses".

virii.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Gadani
U
posted 03-10-2005 03:54:31 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Random Insanity Generator said:
virii.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=virus

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: