EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I'm thinking of getting into RC's...
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 03-05-2005 06:27:16 PM
So far I have those miniracer RCs (one is a Blue Lancer Evolution, my favorite), but now I'm thinking of building one from scratch. Any of you out there who race RCs have any advice/suggestions as to how I can go about building a street racing RC? My younger brothers like offroad RCs but I prefer speed to being able to jump several feet in the air.

sometimes I wish we had a "Toys" tag on this forum

Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 03-05-2005 07:35:30 PM
Good starter is an Xmod.

100 bucks will get you started...from there on out its your choice. I've heard they have them hitting 60-80mph on stock chasis.

I bought one... and found out I'm not much into RC.

I prefer the real thing.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 03-05-2005 09:58:10 PM
I have never gotten much into the Mini Craze. I run Airplanes, Helicopters, and Nitro Powered Cars and Trucks. Get yourself a T-Maxx or Revo. You will never look back.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 03-06-2005 06:10:26 PM
Nitro powered? Sounds really fast. What are the pros/cons of using gas power as opposed to battery power?
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 03-06-2005 11:37:07 PM
Both have their pros and cons. I'd suggest starting with electric and going to nitro later.

Electrics accelerate faster, and have a wider powerband.

Nitro vehicles will have a higher top speed and a longer run time.

Electrics tend to be less expensive, and have a wider upgrade path.

Nitro makes a mess, and a little exhaust mist in your eyes burns like pepper spray. Depending on where you live tuning a nitro motor can be a pain as temperature and humidity swings effect how the motor runs. Too lean a mixture will burn a nitro motor up in a hurry.

Electrics are quiet, nitro is LOUD.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-07-2005 12:31:20 AM
And in theory a gas powered RC car could blow up, right? Or at least catch on fire.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 03-07-2005 12:39:28 AM
quote:
Verily, Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael doth proclaim:
And in theory a gas powered RC car could blow up, right? Or at least catch on fire.

Well, so could your car. You face this risk every single time you drive or go near cars. Your whole body could be covered in flammables and you would spend the last seconds of your life miserable as your burn to death.

But generally, nitro RC cars aren't going to explode.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 03-07-2005 12:59:17 AM
I just don't like electric for a number of reasons.
*Shorter Run time.
*Batteries are expensive
*Long downtime to recharge batteries.
*Less power/weight ratio unless you want to spend Insane amounts of money
*Extra expense of Advanced Chargers, ect.

As for speed. My Nito 4-Tec will reach Speeds of around 70 Miles per hour and has good run times.
My T-Maxx will reach about 45 Miles per hour and can go over just about any terrain you can imagine.

I am not saying Electrics are bad, they have their place. I just prefer the smell of Nitro and all it represents.

For a LOT more info check out www.RCuniverse.com

Azizza fucked around with this message on 03-07-2005 at 12:59 AM.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 03-07-2005 01:31:30 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Cuba:

On the other hand, there have been reports of lithium/polymer battery packs catching on fire. The cases I've seen were when someone left the battery pack under the seat of their car while at work, only to get a call from security that their car was burning.

quote:
Az: I just don't like electric for a number of reasons.
*Shorter Run time.
*Batteries are expensive
*Long downtime to recharge batteries.
*Less power/weight ratio unless you want to spend Insane amounts of money
*Extra expense of Advanced Chargers, ect.

As for speed. My Nito 4-Tec will reach Speeds of around 70 Miles per hour and has good run times.
My T-Maxx will reach about 45 Miles per hour and can go over just about any terrain you can imagine.

I am not saying Electrics are bad, they have their place. I just prefer the smell of Nitro and all it represents

I like both myself. I'm currently hung up on 1/5 scale nitro motorcycles. It's just annoying that to play you need a $500 kit, and then $300 worth of hop up parts so it doesn't shatter when you hit something.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: