EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: How does one kill a demon or devil?
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 02-22-2005 10:40:08 PM
How does one kill a demon? And how can one turn that in to a ranged weapon? Like perhaps in a bullet or shell?

I am just curious. As I understand it silver should do it since it is a pure metal.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 02-22-2005 10:46:57 PM
Try holy water. Put it into a glass container and throw it at the demon/devil. If there are multiple, the holy water can splash, or you can throw it on the ground to destroy their feet.

The only trouble there is if they start floating. Then, yeah, you're pretty fucked.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 02-22-2005 10:54:10 PM
You don't "kill" them so much as drive them away.

If they are in a host body, you can destroy the host. Make sure they can't easily move into another one.

If they are not in a host body, or you don't want to destroy the host, it's all a question of faith. All the extra stuff is just trappings, fetishes to boost one's faith in the power of their faith.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ares
posted 02-22-2005 10:56:54 PM
Did you just come back from seeing Constantine or something?

BTW, I throughly enjoyed that movie.. As terrible as it was.

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 02-22-2005 11:03:25 PM
Nope, haven't seen it yet. I just like to be prepared.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 02-22-2005 11:03:45 PM
quote:
Ares thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Did you just come back from seeing Constantine or something?

BTW, I throughly enjoyed that movie.. As terrible as it was.

It wasn't terrible at all, I loved it, and I've even read Hellblazer.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Maradon!
posted 02-23-2005 12:02:15 AM
Considering that demons and devils are totally fictional, the process by which one might be killed depends entirely upon which version of the fiction you believe.

For example, if you believe in the "Diablo" version of demons and devils, you can kill one just by whacking it with a sword a whole bunch of times (or a bow or javelin, in your case).

To believe Christians, you can "kill" (or drive off) a demon/devil simply by being pieous.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-23-2005 12:07:13 AM
Tell him you want the riddle. If you can answer it correctly you get to live and maybe get some sort of treasure. If not, you die or perhaps have to give up your spouse or child.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 02-23-2005 12:12:19 AM
quote:
Maradon! stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
To believe Christians, you can "kill" (or drive off) a demon/devil simply by being pieous.

And how much pie do you need before you become pieous?

Personally, I advise giving your firstborn a snack of poprocks and soda, then offering it to the demon in exchange for power. You take out the demon, AND you get power! It's double the victory!

I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 02-23-2005 12:30:07 AM
the easiest way to kill a demon is to have a priest bless some golf clubs then get to demon stompin! =D
Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-23-2005 12:44:59 AM
Well, according to the laws of anime, demons are only vulnerable to bladed weapons.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-23-2005 01:18:05 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Ozimander:
How does one kill a demon?

You could try crossing the streams.

C'mon, someone had to say it.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-23-2005 01:24:30 AM
In fiction the most reliable weapon against a Demon is it's true name. This gives you full power over the Demon
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 02-23-2005 01:39:42 AM
Atomic Weapons.

so many* people call it "Holy Fire", it must be true!

*Many may mean the bad guys from True Lies.

Veni, vidi, vici
Peter
Pancake
posted 02-23-2005 05:40:25 AM
ChainSaws, Shotguns, Chainguns, Plasmaguns, and the BFG 9000 worked well.
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 02-23-2005 06:38:39 AM
Depending on the lore/world, it can either be enough physical damage, using a holy/blessed weapon, blessed silver(don't think your tableware is good enough), white magic/holy spells, banishing spells/rites/exorcisms, decapitation, or destruction of the binding element: host, idol, etc.
"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-23-2005 09:30:42 AM
Ashley Simpson: The bane of all things that walk.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-23-2005 05:06:52 PM
quote:
This is what Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael is doing. This is what I want Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael to do :

Ashlee Simpson: The bane of all things that walk.

Once again, I am in complete agreement with the Deth.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 02-23-2005 05:18:32 PM
Wind Scar. One swing to kill 100 demons
Matilda Jane
ph33r my MIRVs
posted 02-23-2005 09:55:34 PM
Allying oneself with a stronger demon. Failing that, mundane weapons are surprisingly effective.
There was a signature here... it's gone now.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 02-23-2005 10:29:37 PM
Matilda Jane must post more god dammit!

And these posts have amused me. Cal wins for the Ghostbusters reference.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 02-23-2005 10:32:09 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Ashley Simpson: The bane of all things that walk.

Ashley Simpson: Because punk rock is so much better when there's no punk or rock!

Vinven D`Slyfox
posted 02-23-2005 11:39:54 PM
I think it can vary depending on demons and lore. I'm more specialized in warding spirits n whatnot then demons. I only know of one demon, and he's mostly well behaved. Generally try warding and banishing, I beleive they are better to do in ahead just incase.

There are some certain rituals those of the pagan belief can perform to do so. For those not of that beleif, there are some things you can do as well. Some of the pagans I talked to on this said merely not beleiving in it, not exactly a sure fire way, but can always be a first shot. If ya give me some time I will probably find something.

Oh, if you are looking to use a weapon, find a nearby witch to consencrate it. Not if it is in a host though, then try to resort to banishing it from the host.

Vinven D`Slyfox fucked around with this message on 02-24-2005 at 12:24 AM.

Vinven D`Slyfox
posted 02-24-2005 12:38:32 AM
Cut Mullein Leaf, Cut St John's Wort, Salt, Garlic, Red Sandalwood Powder, mullein, yarrow, mistletoe, etc are the more common demon warding stuff.

You can also try this I found for a protection talisman, I have yet to test it for effectiveness, it may vary depending on how you can focus your energy.

Wearing a pentacle (symbol of protection for witches) or any similar faith symbol could do, annoited in a protection oil. Drawing a protective circle around you with a dagger. Black candles generally serve for protection, but can vary depending on lore. Violet, white, or blue may also work fine. Insence such as sandlewood, but again can vary. Just make sure it is a light pleasant scent. While annointing, recite the following:

Ego vocare (I call)

et animas (bravery and)

in fidem recipere (To Take Under Protection)

pax ex nox (peace from dark)

omni malum APAGE TE! (of all kinds evil, you go!)

(Okay this is my poor translation of latin, but you get the point)

Maradon!
posted 02-24-2005 12:41:33 AM
Why latin?

Wicca is nordic. It should be in sweedish.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 02-24-2005 at 12:42 AM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-24-2005 01:31:33 AM
quote:
How.... Maradon!.... uughhhhhh:
Why latin?

Wicca is nordic. It should be in sweedish.

Correct if I'm wrong (via cited sources, please), but wasn't the original form of Wicca Celtic? I did a little poking around on the subject and all I found suggests that. What I found also says that modern has essentially nothing at all to do with this "origin." In fact, I believe you stated in one thread a while back that it was a compeletely neo-pagan movement. Perhaps you have some more solid and clear information on this?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Teagan
Patron Deity of Ramen
posted 02-24-2005 01:33:52 AM
quote:
So quoth Vinven D`Slyfox:
Cut Mullein Leaf, Cut St John's Wort, Salt, Garlic, Red Sandalwood Powder, mullein, yarrow, mistletoe, etc are the more common demon warding stuff.

You can also try this I found for a protection talisman, I have yet to test it for effectiveness, it may vary depending on how you can focus your energy.

Wearing a pentacle (symbol of protection for witches) or any similar faith symbol could do, annoited in a protection oil. Drawing a protective circle around you with a dagger. Black candles generally serve for protection, but can vary depending on lore. Violet, white, or blue may also work fine. Insence such as sandlewood, but again can vary. Just make sure it is a light pleasant scent. While annointing, recite the following:

Ego vocare (I call)

et animas (bravery and)

in fidem recipere (To Take Under Protection)

pax ex nox (peace from dark)

omni malum APAGE TE! (of all kinds evil, you go!)

(Okay this is my poor translation of latin, but you get the point)

Your ritual needs an update.

Put a picture of a pentacle on your computer. Better yet, post it in a thread here. The more people look at it, the "bigger" it is. (And yes, size can matter.) If people in other countries have it on their screens, the you have a pentacle that actually touches across the world.

Record the chant, and loop it. Intent is what's important here, not losing your voice.

There's nothing very sacred about your average sandlewood, or any other insence. Candle colour isn't as important as some people think, either. Look around, and see if something just feels/smells right to you. Trust your instincts. (And your allergies to certan scents, if you have them. )

The dagger is a tool for focusing your will and power. (The shape suggests such a thing, with the power focusing at the tip.) However, other things can be used. Swords work for some. However, the question is what do YOU use to focus your will and place it upon the world? There are those that would do better using a hammer, a pen, or even a computer mouse. Also, tracing a circle in something other than scratches (such as a line of salt) then going over it with the focus item can work. Usually, it's suggested that such circles/lines be made of something pure, such as salt. Personally, I suggest kosher salt, as it's allready blessed.

Above all else, follow your instincts. If a deviation from the norm just feels right to you, then go for it. This is an art, not a science.

"Hey guy, need a light?"
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 02-24-2005 04:46:14 AM
I'm going to do something I've not done in a very long time here. I'm going to be honest.

Some of you people are pretty fucking pathetic.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-24-2005 05:00:25 AM
quote:
Snoota obviously shouldn't have said:
I'm going to do something I've not done in a very long time here. I'm going to be honest.

Some of you people are pretty fucking pathetic.

Yeah... maybe...

But when you encounter a demon or devil, you'll wish you had read this thread.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 02-24-2005 at 05:00 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
nem-x
posted 02-24-2005 05:38:25 AM
Vinven D`Slyfox
posted 02-24-2005 07:28:00 AM
quote:
Teagan stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Your ritual needs an update.

Put a picture of a pentacle on your computer. Better yet, post it in a thread here. The more people look at it, the "bigger" it is. (And yes, size can matter.) If people in other countries have it on their screens, the you have a pentacle that actually touches across the world.

Record the chant, and loop it. Intent is what's important here, not losing your voice.

There's nothing very sacred about your average sandlewood, or any other insence. Candle colour isn't as important as some people think, either. Look around, and see if something just feels/smells right to you. Trust your instincts. (And your allergies to certan scents, if you have them. )

The dagger is a tool for focusing your will and power. (The shape suggests such a thing, with the power focusing at the tip.) However, other things can be used. Swords work for some. However, the question is what do YOU use to focus your will and place it upon the world? There are those that would do better using a hammer, a pen, or even a computer mouse. Also, tracing a circle in something other than scratches (such as a line of salt) then going over it with the focus item can work. Usually, it's suggested that such circles/lines be made of something pure, such as salt. Personally, I suggest kosher salt, as it's allready blessed.

Above all else, follow your instincts. If a deviation from the norm just feels right to you, then go for it. This is an art, not a science.

You seem to know your stuff well. I was under the assumption swords were mainly just used for dragon magic.

For those with questions, ask others. I used to be more knoweldgeable of this stuff, used to read alot on Gerald Gardner and the oldies.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-24-2005 07:44:49 AM
quote:
Monica's fortune cookie read:
Ashley Simpson: Because punk rock is so much better when there's no punk or rock!

*snickers*

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 02-24-2005 09:26:52 AM
Do you know what happens to a demon when it's struck by lightning?
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Alaan
posted 02-24-2005 06:31:52 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on nem-x!
[xIMG]http://www.homestead.com/batutisz/files/nem-x/stuff/rosetto.jpg[/IMG]

The use of Sacred has been authorized.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 02-24-2005 10:41:36 PM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe had this to say about Captain Planet:
Do you know what happens to a demon when it's struck by lightning?

The same thing that happens to everything else!

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 02-24-2005 11:28:50 PM
quote:
Ruvyen probably says this to all the girls:
The same thing that happens to everything else!

Worst...movie line...ever...

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: