EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Suppose you and some friends were diving in international waters...
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 02-15-2005 04:55:32 PM
Or whatever you call the areas of the ocean where no country owns. While diving you find a ship full of treasure... gold coins and items, statues, etc...

You and your friends spend days hauling the stuff up to your boat. In the meantime news of your discovery somehow goes around the world, and the stuff you are pulling up has the potential to set you and your friends for life. Or would it?

Who would the treasure belong to? Can a country send a warship out and demand you give the treasure to them, even though the treasure obviously belongs to no one existing today and that the waters you got them from aren't in any country's jurisdiction(sp?)?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-15-2005 04:58:28 PM
The person who discovers a shipwreck becomes its owner, or rather, he can become its owner and do with it as he pleases. I'm fairly sure you have to register the wreck with some sort of governing body.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 02-15-2005 05:00:26 PM
As long as they do it with a reasonable amount of discretion, sure.

(to clarify, I'm referring to getting a warship sent after you. I'm not sure if it would be entirely legal, but since it's international waters they could probably get away with it)

Gunslinger Moogle fucked around with this message on 02-15-2005 at 05:01 PM.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 02-15-2005 05:01:11 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about pies:
The person who discovers a shipwreck becomes its owner, or rather, he can become its owner and do with it as he pleases. I'm fairly sure you have to register the wreck with some sort of governing body.

I believe the law is 'finders keepers' in international waters, no registration of any sort required.

But then again all my experience with this is from the movie Ghost Ship.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 02-15-2005 05:13:19 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Karnaj said:

In most countries, this holds true as long as the Governement hasn't decreed grave peace (rough translation from swedish, forgive me) over the wreck. In some, you also have to pay tax on what you find.

In international waters, finders keepers.

Zaza fucked around with this message on 02-15-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-15-2005 05:23:21 PM
I would take the treasure, then use the money to hire a hitman to go lay some smackdown on everyone who posts hypothetical questions on a daily basis.
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-15-2005 08:47:11 PM
Mel Fisher fought this battle years ago when he found the Spanish treasure ship "Atocha" off the Florida Keys. You find it, it's yours. The only possible exception I can think of would if the ship and its cargo were insured and the insurance company paid a claim on the loss of ship and cargo.

Other than that, you'd be in the clear.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-15-2005 08:55:36 PM
yeah international salvage laws, etc.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

OrangeBrand
By a Truck
posted 02-15-2005 09:18:10 PM
maybe he found all the lost ships in the bermuda triangle and is asking "hypo" to just get info and not alert to many people.. now the little secret is out..

I want half.

SPELLCHECK is a four letter word.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 02-16-2005 09:49:03 AM
I'm not too sure, but I think the government you are a part of (US, UK, etc) would govern what you can do with it. However, said government would probably have to deal with all sorts of foreign affairs and whatnot from other countries who think it should be theirs.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-16-2005 09:50:21 AM
quote:
Azakias got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I'm not too sure, but I think the government you are a part of (US, UK, etc) would govern what you can do with it. However, said government would probably have to deal with all sorts of foreign affairs and whatnot from other countries who think it should be theirs.

If it's valuable or it's a financial gain I imagine the government gets what it wants in tax.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 02-16-2005 10:29:05 AM
quote:
Verily, OrangeBrand doth proclaim:
maybe he found all the lost ships in the bermuda triangle and is asking "hypo" to just get info and not alert to many people.. now the little secret is out..

I want half.

I'm not sure Kennatsu ever leaves his home.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 02-16-2005 12:39:21 PM
quote:
Waisz said this:
I'm not sure Kennatsu ever leaves his home.

And you do?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-16-2005 12:55:51 PM
quote:
Callalron had this to say about Robocop:
Mel Fisher fought this battle years ago when he found the Spanish treasure ship "Atocha" off the Florida Keys. You find it, it's yours. The only possible exception I can think of would if the ship and its cargo were insured and the insurance company paid a claim on the loss of ship and cargo.

Other than that, you'd be in the clear.

I thought that precedent had been overturned recently, with the Titanic and a couple of others.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 02-16-2005 01:17:08 PM
Suppose you and some friends were diving in international waters...

...and you farted like sixty feet underwater. Would it still be a fart when the bubble reached the surface? Would it dissipate into many small bubbles or remain one large one? Would it smell better or worse?

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 02-16-2005 01:24:45 PM
quote:
Bloodsage probably says this to all the girls:
I thought that precedent had been overturned recently, with the Titanic and a couple of others.

That was actually a choice made by Dr. Ballard, who discovered the HMS Titanic. He chose to leave it in peace. He could just as easily have stripped it for valuables, which has happened more often than not. It's really up to who discovers the wreck. I heard something about a group who were talking about recovering part of the Titanic, but nothing since.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-16-2005 01:35:11 PM
I thought Titanic was American-flagged?
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 02-16-2005 01:41:53 PM
quote:
Big Easy was naked while typing this:
That was actually a choice made by Dr. Ballard, who discovered the HMS Titanic. He chose to leave it in peace. He could just as easily have stripped it for valuables, which has happened more often than not. It's really up to who discovers the wreck. I heard something about a group who were talking about recovering part of the Titanic, but nothing since.

I remember reading in some book written by one of Ballard's teammates that he regretted revealing the position of the Titanic because people have been stripping artifacts from it ever since.

I also recall a documentary once where they raised a chunk of the hull.

"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-16-2005 05:29:11 PM
quote:
Bloodsage said this about your mom:
I thought Titanic was American-flagged?

Nope, RMS Titanic was British-flagged. From the Cunnard line. And it might have been a combination of Dr. Ballard deciding not to haul up any more artifacts and the fact there might be an interested insurance lurking about somewhere.

I also remember hearing something afoot about making the wreck an international cultural monument or some such thing. Which would then prohibit anybody taking anything from the wreck ever again.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 02-16-2005 05:50:10 PM
Also because of the extra visits it has recieved the ship has began to deteriorate at a faster rate. In some cases from damage done by subs that run into the hull. But there's also speculation that some bacterias being brought deeper into the ocean are causing the Titanic to rust away even faster.
http://www.bloodfin.net
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: