EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Thank you, Obsidian Entertainment (who?) for screwing up KOTOR 2! Great job!
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-13-2005 05:37:30 AM
Why didn't you stay with tried and tested BioWare, LucasArts? WHY OH WHY OH WHY?

KOTOR 2 is.. such a major disappointment. Oh, let me count the ways I hate thee. These are just a few of the reports from myself and my fellow gamers ravaging the Obsidian Entertainment forums.

• Graphics are overall worse than KOTOR 1.
  • Graphics seem to use low-resolution textures.
  • Completely linear gameplay. KOTOR 1 was not.
  • Random crashes.
  • Random corrupted savegames.
  • Sound is worse than KOTOR 1. In fact the music in KOTOR 2 is all encoded in 22Hz 8-bit mono, whereas KOTOR 1 was 48Hz 16-bit stereo. HELLO? WHAT YEAR ARE YOU LIVING IN, OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT? The music sounds like it's being played through a cardboard tube.
  • You level too fast. I'm in the first planet and I'm level 9. Buuuuuuuh.
  • Boring enemies. Oh look another droid. Oh look another Sith. Oh look they're all the same and just come in waves.
  • The bad guys in KOTOR 2 just look stupid. Malek and Revan looked cool.

Hooray for ruined one of the game franchises with the most potentian, Obsidian Entertainment. Why LucasArts picked you to make this game, when it's your FIRST ONE, I will never know. Great job LucasArts.

Fuck you both with red hot pokers.

End of rant.

• Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 02-13-2005 05:44:43 AM
    More!

• Gameplay movies unlocked for playback randomly. I can play movies from planets two steps ahead of where I am in the game.
  • Dialogue skips or doesn't play back at all.
  • NPC's bouncing and looking like they're having a fit if they hit a wall wrong.
  • Team mates standing half a fucking mile down a corridor two blocks back while you're fighting and needing their god damn help. The AI isn't just stupid, it's non-existant.
  • More spelling and grammar errors than a Kagrama essay.

Mortious fucked around with this message on 02-13-2005 at 05:46 AM.

• Mod
    Pancake
    posted 02-13-2005 06:38:11 AM
    The game felt really rushed, yes, but on the whole I found it enjoyable. Your party is less stereotypical than in the first, the dark side choice is actually presented interestingly instead of just cartoony-evil, the story dialogue and voice acting are all at least as good as in the first.

It's exactly as linear as KotoR 1 was, an introduction part which is absolutely linear, followed by a phase where you have to fly around four planets doing things in whatever order you wish followed again by a linear conclusion (The ending was also the weakest and most hodgepodge part of it, really feels like they were trying to cobble something together on a deadline).

You level faster because there are more levels, you don't cap at lvl 20 any more.

The technical bugs all suck, I've been lucky only to have crashed once on my whole playthrough. The AI never gave me any issues as long as I checked for people stuck in walls and tables every once in a while, it did decently in combat.

What really bugged be about this game was the really low difficulty, even on the hardest setting. I was blowing through people that were supposed to be really powerful like through wet paper.

Atris(Spoilered name of late midgame boss), took me all of ONE combat round, I wasn't even trying for some broken character build, half my force powers had been made obsolete by force enlightenment and still I never died or had to reload against any boss in the game, if you play a melee based character and don't go around dumping points into utterly useless things the difficulty is an utter joke, I'm playing as consular now and it's a little better but I suspect that once I get my force powers and darkside mana cost reduction up and running it will turn back to cakewalk mode.

Oh and only one or two people ever used force powers against me for some reason, causing all those anti-foce items and powers to be pretty much wasted.

Mod fucked around with this message on 02-13-2005 at 06:39 AM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
    nem-x
    posted 02-13-2005 06:43:27 AM
    I actually liked it until the end game. I'm sure you'll go apeshit when you get there.
    Mod
    Pancake
    posted 02-13-2005 07:01:05 AM
    ==WARNING== Massive endgame spoilers:

The game progresses really well up to the point where Kreia owns up the new Jedi council, but the the pacing takes a massive nosedive there. The Ravager is a boring standard star destroyer level with sith soldiers that couldn't hurt you if you helped them, Nihilus suffers from the fact that they never finished Visas' storyline which I assume would have built him up a bit more than 'Ok, you're the world-consuming force threatening the galaxy? Just FYI Kreia set you up, WHACK'. Then, without a chance to even speak with anyone again, you get dumped on Malachor V. There would have been good opportunities for character development here, with people second-guessing themselves about weather they're following you for reasons other than your force-bonding ability, maybe a sequence like the one at the end of BG2 before you enter Irenicus' lair (You know the one). Instead you are now on a random-looking planet, alone, you will never see a dialogue option between you and your party again. You kill some native beasts, kill a million sith (those actually deal some damage although their HP are a joke) kill Sion, then kill Kreia, if you're light side you get to know what will happen to your party in the future, if not you don't, the end.

Oh and Obsidian are the people who made Planescape: Torment.

Mod fucked around with this message on 02-13-2005 at 07:02 AM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
    Bloodsage
    Heart Attack
    posted 02-13-2005 07:21:52 AM
    Thanks, Mort. Now I won't waste my time with it.
    To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Alberd
    Pancake
    posted 02-13-2005 08:17:37 AM
    I still plan on buying the game even after hearing that it doesn't live up to its predecessor, but now I think I'l wait till it goes down to $20 like the first KotOR instead of paying $50 for it.
    To live by the sword is to die by the sword.
    Honor those who honor thee, be merciful to those who show thee mercy.
    To those who offend thee and thine, show no mercy.
    Akiraiu Zenko
    Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
    posted 02-13-2005 09:02:32 AM
    Actually, I liked it alot more than KotOR 1...
    The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
    very important poster
    a sweet title
    posted 02-13-2005 10:29:45 AM
    I like KOTOR 2 a lot and find it a very enjoyable game.
    hey
    Arrenn Lightblade
    Yes. Yes he is.
    posted 02-13-2005 11:34:42 AM
    It felt more rushed, but some of the new features were pretty spiffy.
    Azrael Heavenblade
    Damn Dirty Godmoder
    posted 02-13-2005 11:37:57 AM
    Is this the X-Box version or PC version? I remember there being a good amount of difference with KotoR 1 from X-Box to PC, bug fixes, content increases, etc.

Still, considering I won't be getting any PC games until May, this is probably a good thing if the price drops.

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
    New Age Bane
    Waste Management Crisis
    posted 02-13-2005 11:44:39 AM
    I got the pc version, I'm on Telos and the graphics lag for some reason, I can fix it for a zone by changing a graphic option then it reloads the graphics and everything is fine an dandy until I zone again... Its rather annoying.
    What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
    KaLourin
    Illanae's Stooge!
    posted 02-13-2005 12:16:37 PM
    My friend The Unholy bought it, crashed his system hard enough to have to resort to a system restore.. twice. And this was just after installing it.

It went back to the store for a full refund the next day.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
    Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
    Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 02-13-2005 01:58:45 PM
    quote:
    New Age Bane painfully thought these words up:
    I got the pc version, I'm on Telos and the graphics lag for some reason, I can fix it for a zone by changing a graphic option then it reloads the graphics and everything is fine an dandy until I zone again... Its rather annoying.

Bad graphical coding. It lags in places it shouldn't, and I'm running it at just 1280x1024 on a monster of a machine.

For those who are enjoying playing it, more power to you. I think I'll enjoy it myself but only after it's been patched.

Matilda Jane
    ph33r my MIRVs
    posted 02-13-2005 02:22:41 PM
    I liked it. Working influence is really important to getting the most out of the game. Especially with Kreia. The game shows definite signs of being rushed, but they're not too detrimental to the game as a whole. Except when the game suddenly ends.

As for the bugs and glitches you're suffering from, I haven't experienced any of those on the Xbox version in three playthroughs. From what I've heard there were almost no changes from the Xbox to the PC version. Except the promise of patches.

It could have standed a few more months of development, but I think it's a fine sequel.

There was a signature here... it's gone now.
    Cavalier-
    Pancake
    posted 02-13-2005 06:39:08 PM
    quote:
    We were all impressed when Bloodsage wrote:
    Thanks, Mort. Now I won't waste my time with it.

.. or at least until it has a few patches to fix it up.

The scary thing is Obsidian is also developing Neverwinter Nights 2.... How the hell THAT happened I do not know.. but now I am seriously worried that NWN2 is going to suck serious ass..

tFUCKING RETARD
    Pancake
    posted 02-13-2005 06:45:55 PM
    quote:
    From the book of Mod, chapter 3, verse 16:
    [QBOh and Obsidian are the people who made Planescape: Torment.[/QB]

Yeah, and even though PS:T was a terrific game the sound quality and AI sucked horribly.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
    Anklebiter
    Pancake
    posted 02-13-2005 06:47:56 PM
    quote:
    Cavalier- had this to say about (_|_):
    .. or at least until it has a few patches to fix it up.

The scary thing is Obsidian is also developing Neverwinter Nights 2.... How the hell THAT happened I do not know.. but now I am seriously worried that NWN2 is going to suck serious ass..

As long as they don't fuck up the toolset, building, and so on, I'll be happy.

NWN2 could also do with some better rules than they had in the original, such as having quarter-staves as optional double weapons insteand of dinky 2h weapons.

EVE Online:
    Asha Vahishta, Minmatar Pilot.
    Mr. Parcelan
    posted 02-13-2005 06:49:52 PM
    NWN was an immense letdown
    Cavalier-
    Pancake
    posted 02-13-2005 07:10:24 PM
    quote:
    Mr. Parcelan stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
    NWN was an immense letdown

Hrmm.. I disagree. I found it to be quite an engaging game and very true to the 3Ed ruleset. The number of high-quality community-made servers, server-sets, and modules gave it a longevity that I still enjoy as a get-away from EQ or WoW.

Mr. Parcelan
    posted 02-13-2005 07:11:18 PM
    quote:
    Cavalier- had this to say about Captain Planet:
    Hrmm.. I disagree. I found it to be quite an engaging game and very true to the 3Ed ruleset. The number of high-quality community-made servers, server-sets, and modules gave it a longevity that I still enjoy as a get-away from EQ or WoW.

Probably because I played the single player...ugh.

"Hay guy, we got a plague, you wanna go do four three-hour long adventures?"

Too long.

Katrinity
    Cookie Goddess!
    posted 02-13-2005 07:20:02 PM
    quote:
    Mr. Parcelan obviously shouldn't have said:
    Probably because I played the single player...ugh.

"Hay guy, we got a plague, you wanna go do four three-hour long adventures?"

Too long.

Yeah, the single player was only mildly okies. To get the full experience, you have to try some of the A+ mods out there.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
    Furry Kitsune of Power!
    Pouncer of the 12th degree!
    "Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
    Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
    Cavalier-
    Pancake
    posted 02-13-2005 07:21:30 PM
    ok, yeah the whole "hay guy I have plague" beginning was a bit repetitive in some ways, but no more so than the "kill mob, rinse, repeat" treadmill to exp that was EQ1.

But yes, by far its greatest strength (at least IMHO) was the multiplayer once you got into the community-based servers etc.. plenty of different ideas out there to keep you interested.

[Edit:] Damn typos... I hate my keyboard...

Cavalier- fucked around with this message on 02-13-2005 at 07:23 PM.

very important poster
    a sweet title
    posted 02-13-2005 10:35:46 PM
    KOTOR 2 update from Jens!

I just finished it and I don't see why flying off into outer space in the Ebon Hawk is any better or worse than floating off to war with the Republic in the Ravager (KOTOR1). It was a good game with a lot of content.

hey
    Maradon!
    posted 02-13-2005 10:50:33 PM
    quote:
    Azrael Heavenblade enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
    Is this the X-Box version or PC version? I remember there being a good amount of difference with KotoR 1 from X-Box to PC, bug fixes, content increases, etc.

Actually the only content difference was one starport that had two lightsaber crystals that you couldn't get otherwise.

I think you can even download it from X-Box Live.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: