EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A Tradeskilliery Question
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 04:50:19 PM
Here's the situation: I'm currently a level 26 warlock, and my skills from the beginning to present have been tailoring and skinning. I had considered enchanting, but chose skinning because, early on, any green drops/tailoring creations were more valuable as items for sale than disenchanting fuel, and I figured I could use the leather for the handful of tailoring patterns that required it.

Now, however, it seems that it would be more efficient to buy what little leather I need from the auction house, plus I'm beginning to see the value of enchanting.

My question is: would it be feasible to drop skinning for enchanting at this point? Should I have done so much sooner/wait till later on? Also, I'm not in a guild, so any reagents I need I've been either farming myself or getting from the AH.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Zair
The Imp
posted 02-05-2005 04:54:36 PM
I dropped skinning for enchanting when I was about 45 or so. I thought skinning would be a good compliment to tailoring, but hardly any recipies use it. I picked up enchanting but I haven't really worked at it much yet (at only 135 atm). The problem is that the green items I get now yeild components that I won't use for a long time.

I soloed some early instances like Ragefire and Wailing Caverns for fun and got a bunch of low green items that way. It is pretty long and boring though.

Zair fucked around with this message on 02-05-2005 at 04:55 PM.

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 05:37:22 PM
quote:
Zair obviously shouldn't have said:
I dropped skinning for enchanting when I was about 45 or so. I thought skinning would be a good compliment to tailoring, but hardly any recipies use it. I picked up enchanting but I haven't really worked at it much yet (at only 135 atm). The problem is that the green items I get now yeild components that I won't use for a long time.

I soloed some early instances like Ragefire and Wailing Caverns for fun and got a bunch of low green items that way. It is pretty long and boring though.

As a tailor, you have a massive advantage. Tailoring can craft literally ALL the greens you'll ever need, and in fact, if you're lucky, the blues. Although on my server, linen cloth is very expensive.

I would really recommend shopping around to see what lower level tailored items you can make.. It removes the need to farm boring low level instances.. Or at least lets you make lots more greens from a single run.

EDIT: Enchanting is worthless for making money, just by the way. At least, mostly so. If you want to be useful, it's one of the few tradeskills that is (useful in the high end game, that is), but you won't make a profit at it.

Zaeron fucked around with this message on 02-05-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Mod
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:07:01 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Zaeron said:
As a tailor, you have a massive advantage. Tailoring can craft literally ALL the greens you'll ever need, and in fact, if you're lucky, the blues. Although on my server, linen cloth is very expensive.

I would really recommend shopping around to see what lower level tailored items you can make.. It removes the need to farm boring low level instances.. Or at least lets you make lots more greens from a single run.

EDIT: Enchanting is worthless for making money, just by the way. At least, mostly so. If you want to be useful, it's one of the few tradeskills that is (useful in the high end game, that is), but you won't make a profit at it.

As a rogue farming mid-range blues with stealth to disenchant and sell as shards you will make tons of money.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:08:32 PM
quote:
Zaeron had this to say about Punky Brewster:
As a tailor, you have a massive advantage. Tailoring can craft literally ALL the greens you'll ever need, and in fact, if you're lucky, the blues.

I'm aware of that It's the only reason I even considered Enchanting.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Maradon!
posted 02-05-2005 06:11:01 PM
Pretty much, the money making trades are the harvesting trades

Once people catch on and the market begins to flood more and more with miners, herbalists, skinners and (dis)enchanters looking to make easy GP, components will become cheaper and cheaper making the actual production trades more profitible.

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:19:39 PM
I guess I should make it clear that I'm really more interested in the utility/something-interesting-to-do aspects of tradeskills, moreso than the money-making aspect. My question was basically whether, starting a new tradeskill at this point, I would be able to get it to a level where it would be useful to me. In other words, would my enchanting be able to catch up with me.

Bloodcookie fucked around with this message on 02-05-2005 at 06:20 PM.

KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:21:08 PM
Actually, on Earthen Ring tailoring is quite profitable. There is apparently currently a "tailors war" in which all tailors agree not to sell below a certain point and keep pushing the prices of their goods higher and higher.

Well, that's what I hear from tailors talking in General and Trade in IF, that is. I could be wrong.

My sig is not too big!
KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:21:53 PM
quote:
From the book of Bloodcookie, chapter 3, verse 16:
In other words, would my enchanting be able to catch up with me.

Stop leveling and just enchant/disenchant for a while. It's how I got to be an artisan alchemist at level 35.

My sig is not too big!
Maradon!
posted 02-05-2005 06:22:28 PM
quote:
Bloodcookie had this to say about Pirotess:
I guess I should make it clear that I'm really more interested in the utility/something-interesting-to-do aspects of tradeskills, moreso than the money-making aspect. My question was basically whether, starting a new tradeskill at this point, I would be able to get it to a level where it would be useful to me. In other words, would my enchanting be able to catch up with me.

It's generally very, very easy to work a trade up to the point where it's on par with your level.

Maradon!
posted 02-05-2005 06:24:54 PM
quote:
KestarTheBlue had this to say about dark elf butts:
Actually, on Earthen Ring tailoring is quite profitable. There is apparently currently a "tailors war" in which all tailors agree not to sell below a certain point and keep pushing the prices of their goods higher and higher.

That's one of the huge flaws with AH selling. As one of the very few alchemists on Doomhammer that sells greater and superior healing potions, my best customer is a guy named "Pharmecuticals", the only other alchemist that sells them regularly. I undercut him, so he buys all my potions and resells them at a higher price.

Price fixing is bad.

KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:28:39 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Knight Rider:

Price fixing is bad.

I'm just waiting for the market to bottom out on these mooches. That or raw materials selling at massively inflated prices.

My sig is not too big!
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:28:56 PM
Wunderbar, I'll give it a shot.

Maradon!
posted 02-05-2005 06:32:03 PM
quote:
KestarTheBlue Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Stop leveling and just enchant/disenchant for a while. It's how I got to be an artisan alchemist at level 35.

Yeah, fat lot of good it does you when the components you need are all in zones with roaming bands of aggro 50's

KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:34:37 PM
quote:
Maradon! probably says this to all the girls:
Yeah, fat lot of good it does you when the components you need are all in zones with roaming bands of aggro 50's

Nonsense! I love fighting ??'s for that little blade of sungrass!

Edit: Did I say fighting? I meant weeping-while-getting-rammed-in-the-ass. ing.

KestarTheBlue fucked around with this message on 02-05-2005 at 06:37 PM.

My sig is not too big!
Flea
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:41:50 PM
I make a killing in the AH on just the sungrass I sell. I sell 20 for 8 gold, and I can usually get 80-100 in a couple hours. If I'm ever short on money and I need quick cash, I just head over to the hinterlands and farm the sungrass. People bash herbalists because silverleaf, peacebloom and the like are very plentiful, but when you're at 315 herbalism skill and can get herbs from places that most die in one hit, it is very profitable.

fucked around with this message on 02-05-2005 at 06:43 PM.

KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 06:42:47 PM
quote:
Dr Flea had this to say about John Romero:
I have sungrass

GIVE ME SUNGRASS

My sig is not too big!
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 02-05-2005 06:45:04 PM
He's pushing the 'grass' d00d... Sells a 20 pouch for 8g's? That's awesome... whose up for some White Castle?
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Maradon!
posted 02-05-2005 07:28:31 PM
quote:
KestarTheBlue Model 2000 was programmed to say:
GIVE ME SUNGRASS

Best place to pick sungrass as a lowbie is in Azshara.

The circled area has lots of sungrass (I got a stack of 20 in about 45 min) and only non-aggro deer. There are some aggro griffins roaming about, but they're easily avoided and generally stick to the indicated area.

The hard part is when you see that juicy sungrass sitting in the griffin area, and start to convince yourself that you could pick it and make it out alive...

Oh, and I almost forgot, there's some kinda aggro satyr infested construction in there somewhere. Hard to miss.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-05-2005 11:11:24 PM
I like Feralas for Sungrass as well, even if it is virtually impossible to see it there.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-05-2005 11:29:22 PM
quote:
From the book of JooJooFlop, chapter 3, verse 16:
I like Feralas for Sungrass as well, even if it is virtually impossible to see it there.

Der Hinterlands has provided me with masses of Sungrass and this nifty Mug O' Hurt at 45.

Kuroi Madoushi fucked around with this message on 02-05-2005 at 11:30 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Alaan
posted 02-05-2005 11:47:42 PM
quote:
Kuroi Madoushi had this to say about Pirotess:
Der Hinterlands has provided me with masses of Sungrass and this nifty Mug O' Hurt at 45.

That is a great item. Must get two and Dual Wield Mugs!

Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-05-2005 11:52:29 PM
quote:
Verily, Alaan doth proclaim:
That is a great item. Must get two and Dual Wield Mugs!

I ended up selling the thing, my main mace ( The Shatterer ) is superior to it and I never used it. Got me a good 2g and some silver.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-06-2005 12:31:36 AM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:
A big map

Oh man, awesome! Hadn't even thought about going to Azshara. Thanks!

My sig is not too big!
Flea
Pancake
posted 02-06-2005 01:55:21 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop obviously shouldn't have said:

In some high level areas, I've noticed that you can be standing right on top of a spot that a herb is supposed to be, and you won't be able to see it, mouse over it, nothing. IMO, it's worse than the bug that causes you to stay crouched when you go to loot a herb or a vein.

KestarTheBlue
Pancake
posted 02-06-2005 01:57:22 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Dr Flea:
the bug that causes you to stay crouched.

Yeah, but at least then you look damn silly.

My sig is not too big!
Lashanna
noob
posted 02-06-2005 02:51:53 AM
quote:
Kuroi Madoushi's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

Mug is nifty, it's a world drop

We got really lucky, and Addy got one in Zul'Farrak, and then I got one in Tanaris while soloing

Sold it for a ridiculous amount of money at the AH

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: