EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Car Accident
Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 05:00:36 PM
So I go to pick up my younger brother and my cousin from their middle-school today. I'm driving home, everything's normal. I'm not a race-car driver or anything but I do pride myself with keeping a good eye on the rear-view mirror. I look in the mirror and I see that the closest car to me is still pretty fall away. I think to myself, "That's good." (I hate it when people tailgate me.) I'm approaching a light when it turns yellow so I stop. I come to a complete stop and a couple of seconds later BAM!!!11one

My head whips forward then back, slamming the back of my head into the seat very hard. If I wasn't wearing my seatbelt I probably wouldn't be posting this right now. Thankfully, both my brother and my cousin were wearing their seatbelts and emerged unscathed. Meanwhile, I was in a daze from hitting my head and for about 30 seconds I had no idea what had happened. Feeling light-headed, I looked around in confusion for a little while until I realized that someone must've hit me. Sure enough, I look in the rear-view mirror and see a ton of smoke.

I get out of the car to see if everyone's OK and I hear this girl say "My leg hurts." so I'm like "Oh, Jesus." Thankfully, she got out of the car and was fine. Immediately, the driver of the car asks "Why did you stop?" and not knowing what to say I tell him that the light was yellow. It's at this time that I realized that he pushed my car into the intersection. The damage to my car is minimal (my bumper was dented) so I park it on the side of the street so that traffic can get by. His car, on the other hand, was completely totaled. Radiator fluid was all over the ground and it looked like the front of his car had exploded with shards of glass and plastic all over the ground.

I've never been in an accident before and I felt light-headed from slamming my head so I didn't really know what to do. We all ended up waiting for the police officer to come and take our statements. The police officer comes and immediately seperates the two parties involved in the accident and get our licenses and registrations. He talks to the other guy for a while and then asks me how the accident happened. I tell him and he tells me to wait in the car. After talking to the other guy for about 5-10 minutes (the guy starts yelling at one point) he comes over and gives me my stuff back and tells me how to fill out the accident form. I wasn't nervous or anything because I knew that it wasn't my fault but for some reason I felt wierd and wasn't sure if I should ask him anything. He was really nice to me though. I thought he was going to be stern or something but he called me "Jay" instead of "Jason" or my last name so that was encouraging. Then he told that I was all done and could go home.

I feel kind of sorry for the other guy though. He was just picking up his kids from school and now his car is totaled. Plus, now his insurance rate is going to sky-rocket. Also, he's a Puerto Rican guy with at least two kids so this is gonna suck for his whole family.

I almost feel like I should've just ran the yellow light but if I did I might've gotten into an accident with someone else. I don't know. I'm probably just confused. Sorry for ranting like this but I just wanted to get some of this off of my chest.

There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-04-2005 05:11:48 PM
Accidents happen. You did the right thing and followed the laws. It might look like you could of avoided alot of headaches if you had ran the yellow light, but what if it suddenly turned red and another lane of traffic plowed into you?

I was recently hit myself going to work one morning a few weeks back. I was driving up a street that slates slightly upward and in the morning faces right into the sun, so have to pull visor down to see at all. Anywho, there was a long line of people waiting in my lane for a red light to turn green. I pull to a stop behind a mini-van and listen to the radio while I wait for the lane to get moving. A few seconds later, BAM!, a little old lady in a car slams into the back of me cause the glare of the sun blinded her. I get hit hard enough to slam into the person in front of me as well. Luckily in this case, no body was hurt and the only major damage down was to my back bumper and the woman's car behind me.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Ares
posted 02-04-2005 05:12:45 PM
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-04-2005 05:14:55 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Ares said:
The main thing is that everyone is okay.

Yeah, as Ares said. That guy should be thankful he survived this and be glad yourself that no one in your car got banged up. Though check with a doctor to make sure you don't have any injuries. I thought I was fine after the hit the other week, but now I may have a slipped disc in my back. (Or something, my siatic nerve is acting up real bad)

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
D Spot
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 05:19:46 PM
It's probably a good thing that I didn't end up going to school today, because you and I both know that I wouldn't have been wearing my seatbelt. I'm also kinda surpised that those other fools were wearing their's, Not that I'm complaining.

Glad that you are all okay!

nem-x
posted 02-04-2005 06:26:29 PM
Maradon!
posted 02-04-2005 07:25:06 PM
Sorry man but if you stop at a yellow light I can't really find sympathy for you getting rear-ended.

People stopping at a yellow light is my #2 biggest driving irritation, #1 being people who come to a complete stop before turning off of a main thoroughfare.

Maradon!
posted 02-04-2005 07:26:53 PM
quote:
This one time, at Katrinity camp:
Accidents happen. You did the right thing and followed the laws. It might look like you could of avoided alot of headaches if you had ran the yellow light, but what if it suddenly turned red and another lane of traffic plowed into you?

Impossible. Traffic lights have around 5 seconds of overlap. Opposing traffic will not get a green light until both sets of lights have been red for a while. As long as you're across the "stop here at light" line before the light turns red, you're fine.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 02-04-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Ryuujin
posted 02-04-2005 07:33:26 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about (_|_):
[QB]
People stopping at a yellow light is my #2 biggest driving irritation.[QB]

That's actually pretty silly.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-04-2005 07:33:28 PM
quote:
The propaganda machine of Maradon!'s junta released this statement:
Impossible. Traffic lights have around 5 seconds of overlap. Opposing traffic will not get a green light until both sets of lights have been red for a while. As long as you're across the "stop here at light" line before the light turns red, you're fine.

1) In New Jersey, it's illegal to run a yellow light. Even if you can't stop safely, a cop can ticket you.

2) I won't speak for SC, but the lights in NJ have maybe a one second overlap, if any. Some lights switch instantly. You take your nuts into your hands when you run a yellow around here. Of course, it is New Jersey, so...

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 02-04-2005 07:39:53 PM
If I was behind someone who was stopping for a yellow, I would be annoyed, I wouldn't assume however that they're going to go thru the light.

I always watch the walk signals when I'm coming up on a light, to see what they're saying. If they're don't walk, I'll be expecting the light to change soon, and thusly be expecting the traffic in front of me to be ready to stop.

Though I've rear ended 2 people at 1-2mph in my driving career already. In both cases, the drivers in front of me suddenly stopped while making a left hand turn. The first case, for no reason, the second case was someone wanting to make a U turn having to stop for someone making a right on red. There wasn't damage to either vehicals in either event, not even scuffs on my plastic bumper. No insurance involvement or anything. I came back to talk to the U turn guy but he had already driven off.

But I've been more careful since. Not that it can't happen again. It's just part of the risk we all take when we get behind the wheel.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 02-04-2005 07:40:10 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about dark elf butts:
Sorry man but if you stop at a yellow light I can't really find sympathy for you getting rear-ended.

People stopping at a yellow light is my #2 biggest driving irritation, #1 being people who come to a complete stop before turning off of a main thoroughfare.

Yellow means the light is changing. You *have* to stop if you are capable. Ticketable offense if you get caught not doing it. I speak from experience because I got nailed for it once. Depending on how the cop is feeling, he may also decide to toss reckless driving, and in the case of most yellow light racers... speeding, in addition to disregard of traffic signals.

Sorry if its one of your biggest irritations, but it *is* the law.. and he followed it.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 02-04-2005 07:41:20 PM
Let's take a trip back to grade school boys and girls.

Red means stop.

Green means go.

What does yellow mean? That's right, Billy! SLOW DOWN.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Maradon!
posted 02-04-2005 07:47:19 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
What does yellow mean? That's right, Billy! SLOW DOWN.

That's right, NOT STOP. If you can't go through a yellow light then why have them?

I'm not talking about flooring it from a fifty yards away.

Suddar
posted 02-04-2005 08:12:06 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
That's right, NOT STOP. If you can't go through a yellow light then why have them?

I'm not talking about flooring it from a fifty yards away.

To warn you a red light is coming so you have time to reduce speed? durr

Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 08:14:27 PM
[Note:] The follow describes Australian Traffic regulations, which may (or may not) be different to local, state, orfederal road laws in the US.

Depending on how close you are to intersection, you can go through a yellow light without being booked. Usually this distance is the solid white line for the lanes leading up to the interscetion marker (the white line that crosses the road at which you must stop). Being within that line is termed "beyond the point of no return" by most traffic cops, as there is no way, even travelling at the posted limit, you can come to a safe stop (ie: without locking up all 4 wheels and coming to a screeching, smoking halt two inches from the line).

However, it is considered to be a lot better to stop on a yellow light if you are able to safely do so (see "screeching, smoking halt" above). The car behind has 100% responsibility to avoid an accident at all times, regardless of whether the driver in front "stopped too soon".

Cavalier- fucked around with this message on 02-04-2005 at 08:15 PM.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 08:16:16 PM
Didn't you people ever watch Starman?

Red means stop.

Green means go.

Yellow means go very fast.
Seriously though, you're supposed to slow down and prepare to stop at a yellow light; Maradon's been huffing Twinkies or something.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Taylen
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 08:16:39 PM
The yellow is that lag time in case you can't stop for some reason, if you can safely come to a stop you are supposed to.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Ryuujin
posted 02-04-2005 10:08:02 PM
Crabs was driving defensively. You can run a yellow light if you want, but the fact of the matter is: Yellow means CAUTION. It means slow the fuck down or stop because the light's about to turn red. If you run the yellow light and the light turns yellow while you're in the intersection, then you've just ran a red light.

Crabs did nothing wrong. The man behind him was at fault for not watching the road. "Why did you stop?" indeed. Crabs should have said "Why didn't you?"

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-04-2005 10:29:57 PM
It's perfectly legal if you don't have to increase your speed to get through it before it turns red. There's no reason to slam on one's brakes all of a sudden just because a yellow came up. That's much more dangerous than running a yellow. I'm not saying, "if it's yellow and you're like 50 yards away, it's perfectly fine to gun it and go through like 5 seconds later" or anything. Nor am I saying that Crabs did the 'wrong' thing. I'm just trying to validate Maradon's point

edit: I can spell I promise

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 02-04-2005 at 10:30 PM.

Mightion Defensor
posted 02-04-2005 10:33:58 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Maradon! keeps posting things like this:

I quote:

quote:
I'm approaching a light when it turns yellow so I stop. I come to a complete stop and a couple of seconds later BAM!!!

Monsieur Crabs had time to come to a complete stop. He was hit a couple of seconds after coming to a complete stop - which usually takes a few seconds in itself.

And you think it's HIS fault?

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 02-04-2005 10:38:55 PM
If the light is red before you come to a complete stop, I say it's no way in hell your fault.

Also, indeed, why didn't HE stop?

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
nem-x
posted 02-04-2005 10:49:57 PM
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-04-2005 11:28:28 PM
If he had time to stop at the yellow light, the guy behind him was probably either:

1) not paying attention

or;

2) tailgating

In either case I have no sympathy for the guy. Here in Michigan if you get rear ended it is almost 100% certain that the other guy will get the ticket, because if you rear end someone, the cop will assume you were tailgating, since you're "supposed" to stay 4 seconds behind the car in front of you.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 01:13:27 AM
quote:
Katrinity stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Yeah, as Ares said. That guy should be thankful he survived this and be glad yourself that no one in your car got banged up. Though check with a doctor to make sure you don't have any injuries. I thought I was fine after the hit the other week, but now I may have a slipped disc in my back. (Or something, my siatic nerve is acting up real bad)

Ouch. That really sucks.

My neck was sore earlier but it feels a little better now. I'm worried that I'm going to wake up tomorrow with a stiff neck though.

Razor
posted 02-05-2005 04:13:18 AM
Quick note from good ol Cali...

Green - proceed
Yellow - Proceed with caution/ slow the fuck down if you're too far back, but if you're 20 yards away and it just turned yellow, go on through, it's a 3 second minimum between Green -> Yellow and Yellow -> Red then there's a 3 second lag between the red's to greens fire off.

if you're care is more than 50% through on the intersection measured from the stop line to the front tire, then you may proceed through a red if it just turned, otherwise if you're less than, and/or going otherwise, running a red and if you're at one of our lovey intersections, you may be photographed.

Red - Stop, unless a right hand turn and unless posted.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-05-2005 05:17:35 AM
I didn't take much notice of what Parce said in another thread, but I really am beginning to believe that Maradon argues just for the sake of arguing.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-05-2005 08:26:29 AM
If you rear-end someone, you were, by definition, following too closely--which is illegal most places and will earn you a ticket.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-05-2005 09:00:01 AM
Mr Crabs: When the officer asked, "Is anyone hurt?" what did you tell him? It was your first time, and you sounded shaken up. Most people in that situation say that nobody's hurt. Insurance companies tell you to say, "I'm in shock right now, but nothing feels broken." Good to know you're still able to walk around, though. I've had a couple shake-ups myself in the 9 years since I got my license. Thankfully they've all been minor.

I'm glad to hear everyone was able to walk around. You did the right thing, even if most people wouldn't have expected it. I'm a NY driver, and when someone stops at yellow, I stop, look at the car in front of me, and go, "Uhm... okay..."

Maradon: While places like the New York City area and wherever you learned to drive have traffic lights with the change pattern Yellow-tic-tic-Red-tic-tic-Green, a lot of places only have Yellow-tic-tic-Red/Green. The laws say you're supposed to stop on yellow if possible. Depending on region, having any part of your car in the intersection when the light turns red can get you a ticket. The whole point of the yellow light is to make sure everyone can clear the intersection or stop before the other direction gets the go-ahead to drive through.

There's an expression I've heard, "Generally, yellow means slow down and red means stop. In NY, yellow means floor it and red means only three more cars." It's accurate. I've even made errors in judgement on occasion where I entered the intersection as the light switched to red. That doesn't mean it's what people are supposed to do. What it means is that most people around here accept that it happens and ignore it, because it happens all the bloody time.

Katrinity: Ow.

General: One accident I was in, I was stopped at a light. My rear bumper got hit by the rear bumper of another car, which was then hit by the rear bumper of a third car. Downhlll plus ice plus stoplight equals bad. The intersection had at least five accidents by 10AM that day (including one where a small schoolbus was the middle car), and it's a really minor intersection. A policeman came to take our statements, but he had to call a second car to close off the road.

On a more relevant note, it's important to remember that there's a difference between stopping on yellow and omfg slamming on the brakes on yellow. If Mr Crabs had time to come to a relaxed stop, so did the car two seconds behind him. Plus this happened in or near a school zone, if I'm reading correctly. What if a kid had run into the road in front of Mr Crabs? Instant junior pancake, that's what, because the driver behind him pushed him into the intersection.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Blackened
posted 02-05-2005 09:42:18 AM
Goddamn you guys. You have the worst luck with cars.

Soon, you'll be try to switch lanes, hit a car in your blindspot, then get similaniously rear-ended causing your car to run over a tree.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
D Spot
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 10:55:46 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Blackened said this:
Goddamn you guys. You have the worst luck with cars.

Soon, you'll be try to switch lanes, hit a car in your blindspot, then get similaniously rear-ended causing your car to run over a tree.

And then Stop&Shop will offer you a job.

Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 12:14:04 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when D Spot said:
And then Stop&Shop will offer you a job.

Hahahaha!

Have you told Blackened the story of Hit & Run yet?

D Spot
Pancake
posted 02-05-2005 08:36:14 PM
quote:
Mr. Crabs had this to say about Knight Rider:
Hahahaha!

Have you told Blackened the story of Hit & Run yet?

Hahaha yeah.

I told him about all the stupid things that have been happening around here since he left.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-06-2005 04:37:20 AM
I remember one time I had to slam on the brakes for a yellow. I would have gone (I didn't need to speed up), but noticed a cop at the intersection, and came to a big screeching halt (Throwing my nice sandwich on the car floor. ). He just looked at me, I kinda laughed, shrugged, he turned by me and shrugged back because I still stopped on the line, heh.

Good to hear you're alright.

Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 02-06-2005 10:31:37 AM
Awile back I was riding with this girl Carissa. It was her first day driving on her own because she had JUST gotten her lisence a few hours before hand. We are approaching a major intersection. The light is green. Green. Green. Bam, as soon as we get about five feet before the light, yellow light. She begins to stop, afraid she'll get introuble if she runs it but then proceed's safely thru the intersection.

All good right? No. A cop was about 5 cars behind he. He flips the blue lights and RUNS THE RED LIGHT. Gets behind us, she's like 'why isn't he going around!?' I wasn't sure myself but I told her to just put on her blinker and pull to the side.

Yeah. He was pulling us over. I have repsect for cops, but this guy.. he just wanted to be a dick. He asked her why she was trying to beat the light etc etc. She began crying, saying she was unsure what to do. He then wrote her a ticket for a seat belt infraction, wreckless driving, and running a red light. I know not to get an attitude with a cop but I asked him on what grounds he had to write these tickets. He then proceed'd to tell me to get out of the car because I was going to jail. I just ignored it and he decided to leave me alone to. Made her sign the ticket and then sped off.

Her parents got a lawyer which did some research on the cop. Found he was doing this to mulitple younger females and they still have a law suit against him/his deparment today. I don't really agree with it, but still he was just out of line.

Edit: She had her seatbelt on the entire time but wrote her the ticket anyways.

KiranĂª fucked around with this message on 02-06-2005 at 10:32 AM.

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 02-06-2005 10:46:51 AM
I nearly got side swiped by some jackass on the highway going 160 km/h the other day...

I was making a lane change (blinker and all, checked my blindspots, I swear, not speeding, plenty of room) and this guy comes up on my left after pulling out from behind an eighteen wheeler at top speed *which, in the time of checking my blindspot, was in my rearview mirror about 50 yards back, so he could see me*

He then (without signalling) decides to take over my lane (with me in it.)

Thank god for young drivers emergency turning practice... I almost went into the acura beside me and SOMEHOW stopped, unharmed.

then he rolled down his window and told me to be careful.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 02-06-2005 10:48:51 AM
quote:
Mix Cavalier- with water, and you get:
[QB][Note:] The follow describes Australian Traffic regulations, which may (or may not) be different to local, state, orfederal road laws in the US.
[QB]

It's the same here, if you can stop at a yellow light safely, then do so.

I want to know why the guy behind him didn't slow down when he saw the yellow (if he saw it at all)

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 02-06-2005 12:01:37 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when BeauChan said this:
It's the same here, if you can stop at a yellow light safely, then do so.

I want to know why the guy behind him didn't slow down when he saw the yellow (if he saw it at all)

He probably thought that I was going to run the yellow light and looked away. Thing is, he didn't even brake at all. It was a common case of a driver simply not paying attention to the road.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: