EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Good books?
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 02-03-2005 03:50:22 PM
I just finished a book called The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel. It's about an Indian boy exploring different religions, and then how he survives when his ship wrecks on his way to Canada. Very good read; I reccomend it.

I'm getting ready to read the Iliad and the Oddysey, because I have never read them and should have years ago. I was wondering what people think books are that everyone should read? I need to read more...

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 02-03-2005 03:58:49 PM
If you enjoyed Life of Pi, read The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. I'm in a book club where we chose to read both, and those who loved The Alchemist were those who loved Life of Pi. I'm not one of them.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 02-03-2005 04:44:00 PM
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

It's The Da Vinci Code for smart people. I had to look up about 90% of the references though.

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 02-03-2005 04:45:13 PM
I just bought a book yesterday on a whim..
Its called The shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Its really good so far.
Razor
posted 02-04-2005 01:02:40 AM
"The story of e" for math junkies
reading through some of Einstein's early woork on special relativity *translated of course* Also reading about some history of astronomers/cosmologists and the bullshit that they got from the catholic church.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 01:09:00 AM
Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

It will change your life.

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 02-04-2005 01:30:59 AM
quote:
Kinanik thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I'm getting ready to read the Iliad and the Oddysey, because I have never read them and should have years ago. I was wondering what people think books are that everyone should read? I need to read more...

The Bible.

I'm not saying that you should believe it, but it's an important influence on our culture, and worth a read. I won't blame you if you skip over the boring parts though, especally in the Old Testament. You don't really need to know the laws about what to do if there's mold in your house.

In the New Testament, you should read the first four books, and the last one (Life of Christ and Revelations). The rest is good and important, but honestly it's a bit dry.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 02-04-2005 01:08:39 PM
quote:
Kinanik enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

Tee hee, Kin doesn't know his Homer...

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-04-2005 01:22:28 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 02-04-2005 02:06:36 PM
Anthem, Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged.
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Kinanik
posted 02-04-2005 03:00:14 PM
I'll check out all these books, thanks
The Bible's on my reading list; being at a catholic college is kinda hard when pretty much every teacher in every class makes references to the Bible, and I haven't read it since I was in lower school.
I've of course read HHGG. Atlas Shrugged is one of my favorite books, with 'Ball Four' by Jim Bouton and 'The Stand' by Stephen King, I've also read Anthem... haven't quite made it through the Fountainhead yet. I'm actually currently reading 'We the Living,' which is one of her not as good, but still decent novels.

I read the Oddysey back in middle school but I neither remember it, nor did I appreciate it as much as I could have... I wasn't a big reader in middle school.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination
Ares
posted 02-04-2005 05:11:09 PM
I didn't like Life of Pi.. My friend LOVED it. (Canadian author, BTW)... But I read some of it and didn't enjoy it..

Turtle killer.

Kinanik
posted 02-04-2005 06:08:04 PM
Hey, he's out in the middle of the ocean, what's he supposed to do?
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination
Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 06:12:10 PM
You must read American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Then Good Omens, The Dark Tower, and Thomas Covenant. The Iliad and the Oddysey are excellent as well. This semester I'm taking a Shakespeare class and I appreciate it much more than I did in high-school. I suggest you give a few of his plays a look.

There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-04-2005 06:32:35 PM
ODYSSEY! NOT *ODDYSEY* THIS IS NOT A FUCKING ODDWORLD GAME GRAAAAAAAH!
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Kinanik
posted 02-04-2005 07:59:19 PM
Sorry... Don't hurt me!
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 02-04-2005 08:53:03 PM
quote:
I was wondering what people think books are that everyone should read?

Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury.

Brave New World, Aldous Huxley.

The Once and Future King, T.H. White.

Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison (not H.G. Wells).

The Red Badge of Courage, Stephen Crane.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain.

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Sentow, Maybe fucked around with this message on 02-04-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-04-2005 08:58:52 PM
To any fans of HP Lovecraft, I wholeheartedly recommend "The Crawling Abbatoir" by Marvin Mundt.

Delicious weird stories.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 02-05-2005 03:18:06 AM
Ulysses by James Joyce
On The Road by Jack Kerouac
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 02-05-2005 03:57:38 AM
Let's see...

• Alexander at the World's End, by Tom Holt.
  • Nineteen Eighty-four, by George Orwell. Try some of his political essays, too.
  • Kings of Albion, by Julian Rathbone.
  • Just about anything written by David Eddings, especially the Belgariad and Malloreon.
  • Once you've read the Iliad and Odyssey, read the poet Virgil's Eclogues, Georgics, and Aeneid, especially the Aeneid.
  • Try Vintage Stuff and Blott on the Landscape by Tom Sharpe.
  • The Dune Chronicles of Frank Herbert. Also buy every copy of Brian Herbert's prequels, but burn them all without polluting your mind.
  • Anything by Terry Pratchett.
  • Dante's Divine Comedy
  • The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson.
  • Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.
  • Frankenstein or The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley.
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula.

That should be a good start.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 02-05-2005 at 04:11 AM.

• Vernaltemptress
    Withered and Alone
    posted 02-05-2005 05:04:10 AM
    quote:
    This insanity brought to you by Pvednes:
    Let's see...

• Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

That should be a good start.

• I second this nomination!

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
    Mr. Crabs
    Pancake
    posted 02-05-2005 12:16:52 PM
    Oh yeah! I forgot about Paradise Lost by John Milton.
    There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
    There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
    There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
    There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
    Peter
    Pancake
    posted 02-05-2005 12:27:31 PM
    Last books I read were The Live Ships Books by Robin Hobb and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep By Philip K. Dick, Sot bad reads.

All Quiet On the Western Front is a good read to.

KestarTheBlue
    Pancake
    posted 02-05-2005 12:43:18 PM
    quote:
    Mr. Crabs wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
    Oh yeah! I forgot about Paradise Lost by John Milton.

Satan is the man!

Edit: though I agree with many of these, I would add Jitterbug Perfume, The Satanic Verses, and Infinite Jest (which I have been reading on and off for over 3 years and still haven't finished)

Double edit: The Golden Bough by James Frasier and The Hero with 1,000 Faces by Joseph Campbell

KestarTheBlue fucked around with this message on 02-05-2005 at 12:45 PM.

My sig is not too big!
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: