EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: turn on fox
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-02-2005 09:23:59 PM
the state of the union address is on

edit: so basicly we can throw our social security cash into something like QQQ if we want?

diadem fucked around with this message on 02-02-2005 at 09:30 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 02-03-2005 05:03:19 AM
quote:
diadem probably says this to all the girls:
the state of the union address is on

edit: so basicly we can throw our social security cash into something like QQQ if we want?

QQQQ, but yeah...

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 02-03-2005 05:05:04 AM
But.... If people are stupid, wont this hurt them?
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-03-2005 08:19:22 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
But.... If people are stupid, wont this hurt them?

from what i gather you'll have to put your money into diverse and low risk stocks.

pros he pointed out
-it's your money now. not the governments.
-when you die it goes to your children, if you want, instead of back into the pool
-you should theoreticly get a higher yield
edit: oh... the whole not collapsing on itself thing, too.

diadem fucked around with this message on 02-03-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-03-2005 08:28:02 AM
The problem with this plan is right now the government is living happy on the $100BB excess that social security brings in every year. If they can't control it, it will just drive up the deficit. The good news is that at least we can be sure this money will be invested in the economy. Short term, bigger deficit and more added to the debt. Long term, stronger economy (hopefully) and better retirement options for us 20 somethings.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-03-2005 09:57:15 AM
We survived the Reagan deficits quite handily, so this one hardly worries me.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-03-2005 10:07:35 AM
quote:
Bloodsage enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
We survived the Reagan deficits quite handily, so this one hardly worries me.

it's not the deficit that scares me, it's the growing percentage of our national budget the interest payments consume.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-03-2005 10:13:57 AM
quote:
Blindy.'s account was hax0red to write:
it's not the deficit that scares me, it's the growing percentage of our national budget the interest payments consume.

In adjusted $, is it significantly more than it's ever been, as a percentage? The raw numbers are pretty meaningless.

For example, hark back to the wailing and gnashing of teeth about oil prices reaching $50/barrel. All the talk was about how, in the '70s, the recession took off when oil hit that price, so the doomsayers were predicting global disaster. Except that, in constant dollars, the price would have to hit $80/barrel to be equivalent in today's market.

Constant dollars and % of GDP are about the only useful ways to comparing money across time.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-03-2005 10:24:38 AM
Ambitious, but SS reform is such a hard sell. I believe I heard on TV that all 45 Democrats in the Senate will fight Bush's SS reform tooth and nail, and I know that various arch-conservatives will not back the reform until Bush starts pushing the gay marriage ban again. That's definitely gonna take some work.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-03-2005 10:36:31 AM
Bush will just invade their state an remove them from office if they don't do what he wants.

Oh wait, I'm a conservative... He will use diplomacy and his amazing wit to bring them to his point of view. That's the ticket.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 02-03-2005 11:26:01 AM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about (_|_):
Ambitious, but SS reform is such a hard sell.

Which is why it's being proposed now. To get the public thinking and talking about it. And the doers will go ahead and invest in their retirement anyway, not expecting to receive any Social Security Benefits upon their retirement.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 02-03-2005 11:37:09 AM
As long as I can afford a gun and two bullets for it, I'm all set for the day I'm too worn out and broken down to be able to work for a living.
I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-03-2005 11:50:52 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Palador ChibiDragon wrote:
As long as I can afford a gun and two bullets for it, I'm all set for the day I'm too worn out and broken down to be able to work for a living.

two bullets?

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-03-2005 01:14:45 PM
quote:
From the book of diadem, chapter 3, verse 16:
two bullets?

well of course you shoot your boss first.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 02-03-2005 06:02:52 PM
I thought it was a bit odd how he had the acumen to note that the problems of Social Security were not something that could not have been predicted on its inception, and then almost immediately went on to say that the revamped system will be forever immune to shortfalls--so that no one will ever have to change it again.
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 02-03-2005 06:15:11 PM
quote:
Vorbis obviously shouldn't have said:
I thought it was a bit odd how he had the acumen to note that the problems of Social Security were not something that could not have been predicted on its inception, and then almost immediately went on to say that the revamped system will be forever immune to shortfalls--so that no one will ever have to change it again.

yeah, he does that.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-03-2005 10:10:40 PM
From what I understand it is designed so that it can't have shortfalls. You get the money that you put in plus a little intrest from the mutual fund. While giving you a tax benefit.

To me it sounds like a great idea. But what do I know.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 02-03-2005 10:13:55 PM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
From what I understand it is designed so that it can't have shortfalls. You get the money that you put in plus a little intrest from the mutual fund. While giving you a tax benefit.

To me it sounds like a great idea. But what do I know.

What I mean is, he said something to the effect that the original Social Security was designed so it couldn't have shortfalls. However, circumstances that weren't previously thought of changed, and shortfalls arised.

So how can he just sorta say, "oh, well this one is going to be completely infallible"?

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 02-03-2005 10:16:29 PM
Because of the way it is designed. People are not entitled to other peoples money. You get from it what you put in. Unless the design is changed the variables are just too few to have something break.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-03-2005 10:16:45 PM
quote:
Vorbis had this to say about dark elf butts:
What I mean is, he said something to the effect that the original Social Security was designed so it couldn't have shortfalls. However, circumstances that weren't previously thought of changed, and shortfalls arised.

So how can he just sorta say, "oh, well this one is going to be completely infallible"?

God told him so.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 02-03-2005 10:17:11 PM
quote:
How.... diadem.... uughhhhhh:
two bullets?

As unlikely as it may be, the first one might be a dud, and I don't want to lose the moment.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: