EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Odd LAN problem
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-26-2005 09:56:05 PM
'Kay, we're setting up a LAN here at home. We're using a 4-port D-Link Router, two D-Link Ethernet NICs (Forget the model numbers of the cards and router ATM), my on-motherboard Ethernet adapter, and three computers. One computer is running Win98, one is running WinXP Home, and my computer runs WinXP Pro.

Now, we have connectivity between all computers. Each computer can ping each other computer and the router via IP address (DHCP'd from router, shown on router web config page). However, the XP Home box refuses to acknowledge the other two exist in My Network Places, and cannot ping the other two boxes by name. It has to use IP address. All IPs are correct, they're all on the same network, all on the same workgroup. The XP Pro and Win98 boxes acknowledge each other, but neither will acknowledge the XP Home box, and the XP Home box can't even acknowledge itself as on the network, let alone the other two computers. Pinging the DNS server works, same address as the router (router runs DNS software).

What stumps me is, we have connectivity and communication between all computers. The XP Home box can ping each computer and the router, so we can communicate. However, nothing shows up in My Network Places in the XP Home box. Not even itself. The other two boxes have no problems with the network.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-26-2005 10:04:26 PM
(1) Disable Simple File Sharing.
(2) There's supposed to be a client update for the 98 box that you'll need to work with XP
(3) Can the Pro box see anything?
(4) Do the same users exist on all boxes?
(5) Is Client for MS Windows loaded and enabled on all systems?
(6) Is File Sharing loaded and enabled on all systems?
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-26-2005 10:28:11 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about pies:
(1) Disable Simple File Sharing.
(2) There's supposed to be a client update for the 98 box that you'll need to work with XP
(3) Can the Pro box see anything?
(4) Do the same users exist on all boxes?
(5) Is Client for MS Windows loaded and enabled on all systems?
(6) Is File Sharing loaded and enabled on all systems?

1. Not sure how to disable Simple File Sharing, as I'm new to XP Pro.
2. The 98 box can already work with the XP Pro box, and the XP Pro box can work with the 98 box. It's just the XP Home box that's having problems.
3. The Pro box can see the 98 box.
4. Haven't gotten around to setting up users at the moment, we're just trying to get everything connected.
5. and 6. Yes, both Client for MS Networks and File and Print Sharing are enabled on all systems.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
--8-Bit Theater
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-26-2005 10:33:23 PM
quote:
This one time, at Ruvyen camp:
1. Not sure how to disable Simple File Sharing, as I'm new to XP Pro.
2. The 98 box can already work with the XP Pro box, and the XP Pro box can work with the 98 box. It's just the XP Home box that's having problems.
3. The Pro box can see the 98 box.
4. Haven't gotten around to setting up users at the moment, we're just trying to get everything connected.
5. and 6. Yes, both Client for MS Networks and File and Print Sharing are enabled on all systems.

(1) It's in Folder Options where you turn off "Hide Files" and "Keep stupid people from fucking up and deleting important files"... Down at the bottom of the list. I didn't know it was there for a while till someone pointed it out. I never looked at that full list.
(2) XPH = suck.
(3) This is good
(4) Do this if step 1 doesn't fix the problem.
(5) and (6) Cool.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-26-2005 10:46:20 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator Model 2000 was programmed to say:
[QB
(2) XPH = suck. [/QB]

Yeah. I get the feeling that's the problem.

--8-Bit Theater
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 01-27-2005 03:13:43 PM
Do you have the firewall for XPH enabled? If you do it has this stupid thing that disallows other computers on a network to see them/vice versa. You need to go into the actual firewall settings and take the check outta "omg there are PEOPLE out there" aka The Hedgehogs Delima
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 01-27-2005 10:57:51 PM
Do you have Service Pack 2 installed on the XP comp?

Had problems with that myself at the last LAN party.. kid came with his laptop.. We tried everything to get it working, finally uninstalled SP2, worked perfect.

Noni
Pancake
posted 01-27-2005 11:03:39 PM
Damn SP2.....cause of more problems....like AOL
The One Mexican To Rule Them All
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-28-2005 12:23:57 AM
XP Home is not firewall'd, both XP boxes are running SP2.
--8-Bit Theater
bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 01-28-2005 01:51:21 AM
My XPPro had the same problem when I moved in here...and for some strange reason we figured out that it was because NetBIOS was turned off. Probably not the case for you...but something to check.
"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: