EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Bone vs Steel
Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 01-18-2005 12:37:16 PM
Which is tougher to cut through?
Maradon!
posted 01-18-2005 12:38:52 PM
Is this a trick question?
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 01-18-2005 12:42:17 PM
Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 01-18-2005 12:44:35 PM
No. A friend of mine says that the scene in SAW where the doctor cuts his foot off wouldn't be possible because if the saw could cut through bone it could cut through the steel chain. I think steel is tougher, but don't know for sure.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 01-18-2005 12:46:15 PM
Suggestion: Go buy a hack saw and saw off his foot.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 01-18-2005 12:49:18 PM
Bone is porous. Steel is harder. You can cut through bone using a nicely sharpened butcher knife. You don't see butchers using bone knives to cut through bone.

*edit to remove an awkward '

Nae fucked around with this message on 01-18-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-18-2005 01:14:11 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Lee Taxx0r wrote:
No. A friend of mine says that the scene in SAW where the doctor cuts his foot off wouldn't be possible because if the saw could cut through bone it could cut through the steel chain. I think steel is tougher, but don't know for sure.

Your friend is wrong.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-18-2005 01:21:11 PM
Even if bone was somehow tougher than steel, you can cut at the joint.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Alaan
posted 01-18-2005 01:40:50 PM
It doesn't even make the least bit of sense. We have used steel weapons for a long time. If you hit somebody with a sword, and bone was harder than steel, the sword would be the thing to break, not the arm or whatever is that is being hit.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 01-18-2005 01:44:17 PM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Your friend is wrong.

His friend is also an idiot.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 01-18-2005 02:21:03 PM
Fuck you guys, I'm Wolverine.
Gork
Pancake
posted 01-18-2005 09:29:21 PM
Hey! We're talking about steel! Not Adamantium!
Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-18-2005 09:58:30 PM
Actually, it depends on the density of the bone. It's theoretically possible for bone to be tougher than steel. In almost all cases, however, bone is not dense enough to be more durable than steel, and it's probably impossible for human bone to be even as durable as steel.
Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Steven Steve
posted 01-18-2005 10:00:21 PM
Some cow skulls and bear skulls are as hard as steel, but it's just not going to happen with humans. Like Alaan said, swords were made to cut through flesh and bone, not break haha

stupid thread

Although if steel had the exact same shape as an adult male human's femur, the femur would be much stronger, lighter, and more flexible. If bone was somehow manufactured not to accomodate life and instead just be a solid substance, it would be stronger than steel.

Fazum'Zen Fastfist fucked around with this message on 01-18-2005 at 10:02 PM.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
posted 01-18-2005 11:27:32 PM
quote:
This one time, at Ruvyen camp:
Actually, it depends on the density of the bone. It's theoretically possible for bone to be tougher than steel. In almost all cases, however, bone is not dense enough to be more durable than steel, and it's probably impossible for human bone to be even as durable as steel.

Actually no, bone could never be tougher than steel regardless of density. You'd have to compress it to a point where it would no longer be identifiable as bone to achieve anything even close to the hardness of steel.

Faz, you're full of crap as well. The hardness of bone comes from calcium compounds. It's better for limbs BECAUSE it's not that hard and flexes some without breaking, but steel would still be lighter and stronger than bone. And there are no animal skulls that are as strong as steel, it's just not chemically possible.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-18-2005 at 11:32 PM.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-18-2005 11:40:45 PM
quote:
Maradon! said:
but steel would still be lighter and stronger than bone.

Most of what you say is true, but that right there needs some clarification.

Wood is stronger than steel on a same weight basis. If you're building something and need a support that weighs only 10 pounds, you go with wood instead of steel. If weight isn't an issue (and usually it isn't) or if size is the problem, then you go with the heavier but smaller steel support.

I do believe bone is the same way. Steel is stronger for volume, but weaker by weight.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Maradon!
posted 01-18-2005 11:42:02 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Palador ChibiDragon stammered:
Wood is stronger than steel on a same weight basis. If you're building something and need a support that weighs only 10 pounds, you go with wood instead of steel. If weight isn't an issue (and usually it isn't) or if size is the problem, then you go with the heavier but smaller steel support.

I do believe bone is the same way. Steel is stronger for volume, but weaker by weight.

So lighter or stronger.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-19-2005 12:06:32 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Maradon! was all like:
So lighter or stronger.

Bingo.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-19-2005 12:17:59 AM
quote:
Liam had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Fuck you guys, I'm Wolverine.

Fuck you! I wanted that line.

-Tok

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 01-19-2005 01:48:35 AM