EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The great RPG binge of 2005.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 01-16-2005 11:54:28 AM
One of my new years resolutions this year, was to finally finish the mountain of unfinished video games I have up in my room. I always end up buying games, getting about 75% through, then get distracted by OTHER games, get 75% through, then distracted by ANOTHER game, etc.

This year, my goal is to finish them all. I've been playing them on my PC using my TV Tuner Card

The first game on my list, that I have ALREADY finished, is Tales of Symphonia. Next, I have Skies of Arcadia on the list (I'm about 80% through). I figured I would get the gamecube games out of the way first

To be finished is :

• Final Fantasy X-2
  • Wild Arms 1 (Alter Code : F)
  • Wild Arms 2
  • Wild Arms 3
  • Star Ocean 2
  • Star Ocean 3
  • Dragon Warrior 7
  • Xenosaga Ep.1
  • Disgaea
  • Alundra 2
  • Breath of Fire 4
  • Final Fantasy 5
  • Final Fantasy 6
  • Shining Force 3 Scenario 1

My question to you all is, what RPG games are going to be coming out this year? I already know that Xenosaga Ep.2, Wild Arms Alter Code : F, and Kingdom Hearts 2 will be on my list. What else should I expect to add to this?

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 01-16-2005 12:02:28 PM
Isn't FF12 supposed to be coming out this year? I haven't checked in some time but that sticks out for some reason or another.

Edit: Go play/finish/re-finish Seiken Densetsu 3.

Liam fucked around with this message on 01-16-2005 at 12:04 PM.

Khyron
posted 01-16-2005 12:15:25 PM
quote:
Liam had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Isn't FF12 supposed to be coming out this year? I haven't checked in some time but that sticks out for some reason or another.

Edit: Go play/finish/re-finish Seiken Densetsu 3.

FFXII is due out later this year, yeah. October 1st if you believe Gamestop.com's ETA. But chances are I'll be too busy playing KH2 which is due out September 15th.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-16-2005 12:26:48 PM
Suikoden 4.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Khyron
posted 01-16-2005 12:32:03 PM
I was looking at that. Not sure if I want to. I'm the type that would want to play 1-3 first, and I don't want to add another four games to the list just yet
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 01-16-2005 12:36:42 PM
I should give Xenosaga another chance... I got fed up when I was sick and tired of trying to find a good spot the level up in that game, but its freaking hard.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 01-16-2005 12:50:51 PM
Add xenosaga 2 to that list. It comes out soon.
Khyron
posted 01-16-2005 01:10:34 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Y.O.T.C was all like:
Add xenosaga 2 to that list. It comes out soon.

Re-read my post. Especially the bit at the end.

bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 01-16-2005 01:50:55 PM
Are you gonna go through just Disgaea's storymode, or EVERYTHING?
"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

Khyron
posted 01-16-2005 02:03:07 PM
quote:
bloodfyr had this to say about Robocop:
Are you gonna go through just Disgaea's storymode, or EVERYTHING?

Storymode, most likely.

I'll probably level up quite a bit in the item worlds (Or that one map with invuln square everywhere but 1 square ) just because then the story mode will be a cinch, however.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-16-2005 02:16:53 PM
Let's see. I picked up GamePro's latest issue cause they had an expose on the Year of the RPG. Some things I wouldn't really call RPG but more Adventure, but to each his own

BioShock (FPS/RPG)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts II
Dragon Quest VIII
Musashi: Samurai Legend
Shining Tears
Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseis von Gut und Bose

A couple have already come out that they mention

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

They don't mention Wild Arms Alter F but I remember reading about that one a while ago in either EGM or Game Informer.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Khyron
posted 01-16-2005 02:24:07 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts II
Dragon Quest VIII
Shining Tears
Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseis von Gut und Bose

They don't mention Wild Arms Alter F but I remember reading about that one a while ago in either EGM or Game Informer.

Wild Arms Alter Mode F is just a total remake of the original Wild Arms game. I listed it here since I did a search on Gamestop, and it's due out in March. Clicky here.

Can't wait for the next Elder Scrolls game, and KoToR 1 was fun. I didn't know at all about Dragon Warrior 8, though... and the info I have on Shining Tears puts it at a 2006 release date, but that's old info and has probably been updated. I've been too busy searching for better sega saturn emulators, to be honest

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-16-2005 02:28:11 PM
I believe Shining Tears is 2005. I've been hearing tons about it lately.

And doesn't Alter Mode F have some additions? Or is it just a straight port? If it's just a straight port I may not bother. I already have the 1 for Playstation.

Interesting that you mention BoF. That and Suikoden are the only RPG series I haven't played for Playstation I think. EB had III and IV. Which console were I and II on? I've seen them on GB. Actually, I believe I have BoF itself, just not II for there.

I need to pick up the GB Phantasy Star I and II as well. Oh, and I just got Zelda Minish Cap. Forgot to add that one up there, although again I see that as more adventure.

Now I just have to finish GS: The Lost Age

bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 01-16-2005 02:30:27 PM
From the way I read it, Alter Code F is a complete remake of the first one with some of the features from later in the series.

It's been a while since I read anything about it, so I could be wrong.

"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

Lazzay
omg mack attack :(
posted 01-16-2005 02:40:14 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael attempted to be funny by writing:
Musashi: Samurai Legend

No way! Finally, a sequel for the Brave Fencer? All of my wildest dreams have now come true.

one two three fo let me see that tootsie roll
Khyron
posted 01-16-2005 03:06:17 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote this stupid crap:
I believe Shining Tears is 2005. I've been hearing tons about it lately.

And doesn't Alter Mode F have some additions? Or is it just a straight port? If it's just a straight port I may not bother. I already have the 1 for Playstation.

Interesting that you mention BoF. That and Suikoden are the only RPG series I haven't played for Playstation I think. EB had III and IV. Which console were I and II on? I've seen them on GB. Actually, I believe I have BoF itself, just not II for there.

I need to pick up the GB Phantasy Star I and II as well. Oh, and I just got Zelda Minish Cap. Forgot to add that one up there, although again I see that as more adventure.

Now I just have to finish GS: The Lost Age

BoF 1 and 2 were originally released for the Super NES. They were later ported to the GBA.

3 and 4 were released for Playstation. 3 is, in my opinion, the best of all the series. It has the coolest dragon transformation system, the best characters, and is the most fun.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-16-2005 03:09:24 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

I and II were for the SNES.

If you have not played BoF III yet, get to it! It's the best of the series by far.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 01-16-2005 03:19:57 PM
Breath of Fire 4 isn't too great.

Play Suikoden 1-4! 1-3 are AWESOME. Playing 4 now.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 01-16-2005 03:45:00 PM
quote:
Khyron thought about the meaning of life:
3 and 4 were released for Playstation. 3 is, in my opinion, the best of all the series. It has the coolest dragon transformation system, the best characters, and is the most fun.

Completely true.

BoF4 was very dissapointing.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-16-2005 03:46:41 PM
Musashi better be a sequel to Brave Fencer. That game kicked ass.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-16-2005 04:33:59 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Lyinar Ka`Bael:
Dragon Quest VIII

*drooooool When does that come out in the states? I waaaant it. @__@

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-16-2005 05:40:49 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Knight Rider:
Musashi better be a sequel to Brave Fencer. That game kicked ass.

I liked that game a lot. Except I got to a point where I couldn't go back to buy more hp-ups and saved with 3 hp.

Talonus
Loner
posted 01-16-2005 05:43:06 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Inferno-Spirit wrote:
Completely true.

BoF4 was very dissapointing.

I'm weird. I actually liked BoF4 and Dragon Quarter, which most people hated.

Khyron, should I ask why FF6 is on that list? You've been a RPG gamer for how long and haven't played it? FOR SHAME!

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-16-2005 05:45:16 PM
BoF2 was awesome, imo. I fell in love with it due to the awesome characters.

I'd give anything to see it remade with better graphics, translations and a better dragon system.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 01-16-2005 06:59:57 PM
Full metal alchemist rpg maby? Thats supposed to hit the states this year some time.
Khyron
posted 01-16-2005 07:52:53 PM
quote:
Talonus spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I'm weird. I actually liked BoF4 and Dragon Quarter, which most people hated.

Khyron, should I ask why FF6 is on that list? You've been a RPG gamer for how long and haven't played it? FOR SHAME!

I've played it a lot. I got to the part where Kefka reshapes the world, and you get off the island with the one chick, but I never actually finished it.

Janus.
I am not a woman
posted 01-16-2005 08:59:31 PM
Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced

I plan to hunt down a copy of Legend of Dragoon.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 01-16-2005 10:22:30 PM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze thought about the meaning of life:
Suikoden 4.

My hastings is getting it tomorrow. I'll be getting it tomorrow too. ^_^

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-16-2005 11:59:49 PM
quote:
Janus. said this about your mom:
Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced

I plan to hunt down a copy of Legend of Dragoon.

Legend of Dragoon is awesome

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-17-2005 12:10:13 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote:

I really should acquire a copy and finish it.

Although I think I lost all the saves I had. :|

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Gadani
U
posted 01-17-2005 12:10:23 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Lyinar Ka`Bael was all like:

Yes.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 01-17-2005 12:12:20 AM
Favorite part of Legend of Dragoon was on the second disc, near the beginning when you find out that Rose is actually the Black Monster
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Alaan
posted 01-17-2005 12:12:28 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Random Insanity Generator wrote:
I really should acquire a copy and finish it.

Although I think I lost all the saves I had. :

Other than a bit of Disc 1 it isn't too bad to play through again. Once you get to disc 2 it kicks all kinds of ass.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-17-2005 12:18:34 AM
quote:
Alaan's account was hax0red to write:
Other than a bit of Disc 1 it isn't too bad to play through again. Once you get to disc 2 it kicks all kinds of ass.

I know I was into at least disk 2... I can't remember if I got on to Disk 3 or not..

I'm assuming that I had been to disk 3 since I had multiple dragoon transformations, but it's been about a year and a half since I played.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 01-17-2005 12:34:45 AM
Yeah, the FMA game looks good.

I don't see Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on that list, that's definitely a game worth playing. I'm still playing it, maybe just under halfway through it so far, and I'm really enjoying it.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga is supposed to be coming out in a couple of months too, and I'm looking forward to that one.

You've really gotta finish FF6, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 01-17-2005 01:10:12 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael probably says this to all the girls:

Agreed. I should also play it again...

*Glances over at his tv, to see his playstation and copy of Legend of Dragoon calling to him*

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Mr. Duck
Likes to ____!
posted 01-17-2005 01:24:27 AM
quote:
Mooj stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Yeah, the FMA game looks good.

I don't see Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on that list, that's definitely a game worth playing. I'm still playing it, maybe just under halfway through it so far, and I'm really enjoying it.

If you haven't already gotten rid of the pixie you got at the begining of the game. Keep it and never get rid of it.

I seconded Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. It's a great game but it's incredibly hard at times

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 01-17-2005 01:37:16 AM
quote:
Mr. Duck had this to say about the Spice Girls:
If you haven't already gotten rid of the pixie you got at the begining of the game. Keep it and never get rid of it.

Oh yeah, I know. Hell, I kept her just because she had the most experience of all my creatures, and because she was cute. I didn't even know about the bonus for keeping her until about the time I got to Ikebukuro.

Mr. Duck
Likes to ____!
posted 01-17-2005 01:46:26 AM
quote:
Mooj had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Oh yeah, I know. Hell, I kept her just because she had the most experience of all my creatures, and because she was cute. I didn't even know about the bonus for keeping her until about the time I got to Ikebukuro.

Once you do get the uber pixie, don't let it change into the high pixie. All the stats are reset if it changes.

And don't do the Maniacs(True Demon) ending. At the final boss right now, pretty sure he's going to kill me just by staring at me.

Rhiannah
WAI!!!
posted 01-17-2005 04:33:59 AM
quote:
Khyron was listening to Cher while typing:
Storymode, most likely.

I'll probably level up quite a bit in the item worlds (Or that one map with invuln square everywhere but 1 square ) just because then the story mode will be a cinch, however.

If you have a full team of 60+, the end should be a cinch... or you could be like me and level Laharl to like 200 and destroy everything.

I'm an individual. Just like everyone else!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: