EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mac mini
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-11-2005 04:00:03 PM
The $500 dollar Mac rumors *were* true.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Personally, I'd like to have one for a cheap headless file/print/web/FTP server for the house. Apple's management GUIs for Samba and Apache are kick ass.

-Tok

Toktuk fucked around with this message on 01-11-2005 at 04:00 PM.

Maradon!
posted 01-11-2005 05:08:12 PM
I can't see it doing well.

Generally speaking, the only people who buy Macs are people who want to spend a lot more on one.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-11-2005 05:11:55 PM
Awwwww...
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-11-2005 05:23:04 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I can't see it doing well.

Generally speaking, the only people who buy Macs are people who want to spend a lot more on one.

Clearly you haven't read the overwhelming response to it around a million different sites on the web. Apple Store is overloaded from the pre-orders.

Keep telling yourself that it's a bad idea if it makes you feel better, though.

-Tok

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-11-2005 05:24:13 PM
My sister would love one of those. She's always whining about how much space her computer takes in her apartment.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maradon!
posted 01-11-2005 05:30:42 PM
quote:
How.... Toktuk.... uughhhhhh:
Clearly you haven't read the overwhelming response to it around a million different sites on the web. Apple Store is overloaded from the pre-orders.

I didn't say it was a bad idea. Keep telling yourself I did if it gives you an excuse to be belligerent though.

I only said that it didn't seem to be aimed at the tiny niche market that comprises nearly all Mac sales.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-11-2005 05:35:26 PM
It's not aimed at the traditional Mac niche. It's aimed at everyone who has said, "I'd love to own a Mac, but they're just a little to pricey for my tastes." And the response has been an explosive outpouring. It was immediate. As soon as it was added to the Apple Store online, pre-orders FLEW in. There's nothing to theorize about it's success. It's already working in a big way.

It's okay to admit you're wrong sometimes.

-Tok

Toktuk fucked around with this message on 01-11-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-11-2005 05:35:29 PM
quote:
Toktuk's fortune cookie read:

-Tok

When you blindly hate something as Maradon does, you fail to see that a good bit of their market is the lower end iMac and iBook, which are a great price for what you get, better value than many PCs considering what you get with em.

Maradon!
posted 01-11-2005 05:36:42 PM
quote:
Toktuk Model 2000 was programmed to say:
It's not aimed at the traditional Mac niche. It's aimed at everyone who has said, "I'd love to own a Mac, but they're just a little to pricey for my tastes." And the response was been an explosive outpouring. It was immediate. As soon as it was added to the Apple Store online, pre-orders FLEW in. There's nothing to theorize about it's success. It's already working in a big way.

It's okay to admit you're wrong sometimes.

-Tok

I wonder how many of the people ordering them already own at least one top-dollar mac

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-11-2005 05:40:57 PM
quote:
From the book of Maradon!, chapter 3, verse 16:
I wonder how many of the people ordering them already own at least one top-dollar mac

Why don't you wander over to OSNews, AnandTech, or Slashdot and read the responses to the announcements and see how many people are saying, "Finally, a Mac I'd consider buying!" or "I am now officially a Mac owner!" I'm not talking out of my ass, I actually did some reading before I opened my mouth.

-Tok

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 01-11-2005 05:42:07 PM
Most likely I will have one of these in 3 to 6 months.

It's small, cheap, and it's a Mac. What's not to like?

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-11-2005 05:47:46 PM
quote:
/dev/null had this to say about Captain Planet:
Most likely I will have one of these in 3 to 6 months.

It's small, cheap, and it's a Mac. What's not to like?

It's a wonderfully polished Unix desktop too! As much as I enjoy the work the GNOME guys have been doing in Linux (I've mostly switched from XP Pro to Ubuntu Hoary as my main workstation at work), it still has a lot of ways to go before they reach the UI polish that OS X has.

iWorks and iLife '05 also look promising.

-Tok

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 01-11-2005 05:55:14 PM
Not a Gnome person myself... I use KDE since Enlightenment stagnated forever ago.

Too bad they don't make a multiple display version of this critter. And the cost to make it a 1gb unit

My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-11-2005 05:56:41 PM
I could definitely see buying one of these to use as a DVD player/wmv/quicktime player for the TV. Possibly DivX stuff too. Connect it to the network and such.

Much fun.

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 01-11-2005 06:00:07 PM
It will be in my room. And if it wasn't for the games it would be my primary console.

Of course I have yet to look at what it takes to get GCC installed on OSX and how much of a pain in the ass it is to build crap on it, but I'll get kicked in the nuts by that later.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 01-11-2005 06:08:31 PM
The problem that I am seeing with it right now is that it dosn't have any available USB expansion slots. Which is sad. Other then that I think it is pretty sexy.
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 01-11-2005 06:10:22 PM
quote:
/dev/null's fortune cookie read:
It will be in my room. And if it wasn't for the games it would be my primary console.

Of course I have yet to look at what it takes to get GCC installed on OSX and how much of a pain in the ass it is to build crap on it, but I'll get kicked in the nuts by that later.

GCC is installed on OS X by default. Also, Apple includes a free IDE - Xcode - which is very nice.

Also check out the Fink Project, which is a port of Debian's apt-get stuff to OS X. They have some repositories that allow you to pull down commonly used Unix stuff. Apache, ftpd (not sure which one), and Samba are all installed by default, you just need to go to the Sharing control panel and enable the services.

I've got a buddy that works for Apple, so if you've got any questions about stuff, let me know.

-Tok

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 01-11-2005 06:11:48 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Toktuk wrote:
I've got a buddy that works for Apple, so if you've got any questions about stuff, let me know.

Yeah, can he send me a unit for *cough* testing?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-11-2005 06:18:58 PM
I'd recommend at least 512mb, though. Even just for normal OS X use. A friend of mine has an iBook and you can feel the effects of having half the RAM that my Powerbook does just in normal use of the OS.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 01-11-2005 06:33:22 PM
This is a brilliant addition to Macs products, though I would never buy one simply because I'm not a fan of "console" computers. It's still a bit overpriced, but I have a feeling its aesthetic appeal will sell a lot more than its computing power.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-11-2005 06:37:23 PM
Also: don't buy extra RAM from Apple.
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 01-11-2005 07:25:46 PM
If I get a job sometime in the near future (again) I might have to get one of these for shits and giggles. I've spent more on things I haven't used since a week after I bought them.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 01-12-2005 06:06:11 AM
It's almost as cute looking as the new PSTwo.
"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: