EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Justification for Abu Ghraib: The Cheerleader Defense
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-10-2005 08:37:16 PM
"Don’t cheerleaders all over America form pyramids six to eight times a year. Is that torture?" said Guy Womack, Sergeant Graner’s lawyer, in opening arguments to the ten-member military jury at the reservist’s court martial.

It's either a huge joke played upon the media, or the guy's lawyer isn't even gonna bother phoning it in and is just making shit up as he goes along. Either way, it's gotta be the most absurd thing I've heard in at least eight months.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 01-10-2005 08:45:55 PM
"Children in grade schools use Pyramids often in Math. Will you, you fine jury, tell me that school children are also capable of Torture?"

It's like the wookie defense.

bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 01-10-2005 08:48:27 PM
...wow.
"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 01-10-2005 08:48:38 PM
what

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Suddar
posted 01-10-2005 08:50:57 PM
I guess this is his way of saying that what they did doesn't really have a defense.
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 01-10-2005 08:51:15 PM
This is Chewbacca. Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now why would an 8-foot tall wookie wanna live on a planet with a bunch of 3-foot tall Ewoks? Why, I tell you why because it doesn't make sense, that's why.

So when you go into that jury room, I want you to think about your answer, about Chewbacca. And ask yourself, "Does my vote make sense?" Thank you, your honor.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 01-10-2005 09:01:44 PM
A good explanation could be Zimbardo's pathology of power, as shown by his prison experiment.
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 01-11-2005 01:15:25 AM
quote:
Pvednes obviously shouldn't have said:
A good explanation could be Zimbardo's pathology of power, as shown by his prison experiment.

Just looking at the setup, I would have to say the study shows no validity from an experimental standpoint. Not a large enough sample, there's nothing involving a control or any kind of double-blind, etc...

Going with Karnaj's post, I have to say it'd be neat if cheerleaders did the pyramid naked though.

Waisz fucked around with this message on 01-11-2005 at 01:16 AM.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 01-11-2005 03:40:14 AM
quote:
Waisz had this to say about Captain Planet:
Just looking at the setup, I would have to say the study shows no validity from an experimental standpoint. Not a large enough sample, there's nothing involving a control or any kind of double-blind, etc...

Going with Karnaj's post, I have to say it'd be neat if cheerleaders did the pyramid naked though.

Yes, it was a poor experiment. The factors that he controlled were personality and race. (He chose only the most non-violent of applicants, and only caucasians.) Randomisation was present, but the experiment could not be replicated. The damning thing, though, is that Zimbardo himself, and his assistant participated actively, as the 'superintendant,' and 'warden,' and this introduced his own systematic bias to the experiment.

I wouldn't mention it at all, except that the situation created in Zimbardo's study was very similar indeed to what happened at Abu Ghraib. The soldiers who were to guard them were not trained for such duty, and they received directions to "loosen up" prisoners for interrogation.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 01-11-2005 at 09:08 AM.

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 01-11-2005 09:25:00 AM
Great, now I've got an image of Pvt. England in Toni Basil attire going "Ready? OK!" in front of a pile of nude POWs burned into my brain

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: