EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Family Computer Technician to the rescue!
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 01-08-2005 09:50:44 PM
So my mother needs to open documents. Microsoft Word documents that she has recieved in an e-mail. No go, I guess she doesn't have word. Her plan?

She has XP. She has the Windows 98 install disk. She will INSTALL 98 over XP in order to get Microsoft Word.

Am...I missing something? Did I miss some kind of memo?

CBTao
Pancake
posted 01-08-2005 09:53:49 PM
open office.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 01-08-2005 09:59:54 PM
Not asking for what to do, just demonstrating that when left to her own devices, my mother will destory the computer.
CBTao
Pancake
posted 01-08-2005 10:01:35 PM
no, I meant the program Open Office, opens ms office documents without having to pay for Office.
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 01-08-2005 10:05:09 PM
Oh! Okay, cool.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-08-2005 10:08:51 PM
quote:
CBTao got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
no, I meant the program Open Office, opens ms office documents without having to pay for Office.

AND saves in a format readble by MS Office.

It's what I have my brother use since he has to often use my printer and I'm not installing Microsoft (Doesn't) Works on my machine.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-08-2005 10:43:38 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Ozimander stammered:
So my mother needs to open documents. Microsoft Word documents that she has recieved in an e-mail. No go, I guess she doesn't have word. Her plan?

She has XP. She has the Windows 98 install disk. She will INSTALL 98 over XP in order to get Microsoft Word.

Am...I missing something? Did I miss some kind of memo?

Oi.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 01-09-2005 02:44:25 AM
At least you stopped her. My mom was halfway through the Win98 reinstall when I found her. Her reason? Because she had accidentally shrunk the taskbar all the way down and couldn't get it back up.
"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 01-09-2005 04:09:06 AM
why not use a MS Word Viewer? Or better yet, have the sender start using RTF.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 01-09-2005 01:11:06 PM
quote:
How.... bloodfyr.... uughhhhhh:
At least you stopped her. My mom was halfway through the Win98 reinstall when I found her. Her reason? Because she had accidentally shrunk the taskbar all the way down and couldn't get it back up.

that's like building a new house because you left the garage door open in your old one and didn't want to bother closing it

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-09-2005 01:26:01 PM
Everybody starts somewhere, remember that.

It's the ones who can't learn the simple things after a year plus that piss me off.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: