EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Your Console FPS Etiquette
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 01-06-2005 01:47:11 AM
I spent most of last night playing Halo 2 with my buds. One of my friends got very upset at us "looking at his screen", you know, his box of 4 on the TV.

What do all of you think of this? Do you look? Do you not?

I look occasionally, especially on Halo where the motion tracker sucks ass =p

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-06-2005 01:52:12 AM
Dude, the motion tracker rules. I don't look, mostly 'cuz I play on Live though.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-06-2005 01:52:25 AM
How can you help but not look?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-06-2005 01:54:19 AM
I suck too badly to not look. Although it's pretty overpowering to do so in Halo2 with swords-only. Pick a spot, watch your enemy come to you, giving you time to get a lock-on and then insta-kill.

My Nephew stopped playing with me after that.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Demos
Pancake
posted 01-06-2005 01:54:47 AM
My bro bitches too, but what am I supposed to do when he's fumbling around and tries to line up a snipe on my head, stand there?
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Somu Icewalker
Also known as Diet Dr. Evil
posted 01-06-2005 01:59:09 AM
My roommate refers to this as screen hacking. I told him just get better and kill me before I know where you are.
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-06-2005 02:07:37 AM
What is this multiple-people-playing-on-one-Xbox you speak of?

I seem to be the only friggin' gamer in my family... except for my nephew Connor who I am oh-so-slowly molding in this My image.

But, he's only eight and he doesn't have an Xbox.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 01-06-2005 03:11:43 AM
I thought looking at the other person's screen was part of the game. Especially in split screen if you don't have extra TVs. I mean shit, it's not like I can help noticing I'm in your sights in split screen.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 01-06-2005 03:39:04 AM
quote:
Batty attempted to be funny by writing:
I thought looking at the other person's screen was part of the game. Especially in split screen if you don't have extra TVs. I mean shit, it's not like I can help noticing I'm in your sights in split screen.

See, I think that too. And it's not like you still can't sneak up or snipe anyone, with 4 little screens, it's hard to even keep track of yourself!

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 01-06-2005 04:16:06 AM
No way, I stay totally locked on mine usually unless I suspect others of looking.

It's not hard to keep from seeing the other screens...

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Sean
posted 01-06-2005 06:18:36 AM
I go so far as to punch someone in the head as a distraction if they have gotten the jump on me in-game.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 01-06-2005 06:54:17 AM
I looked constantly when playing games like Perfect Dark or Goldeneye. It's just part of the game for me. Used to watch everyone's guns/crosshairs to see both where they were, and to dodge their shots when fighting.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Maradon!
posted 01-06-2005 08:40:14 AM
quote:
Sean spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I go so far as to punch someone in the head as a distraction if they have gotten the jump on me in-game.

Then there's the old "Yank the controller out of the socket" trick.

Particularly easy with X-Box's breakaway cords.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-06-2005 10:16:56 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Rodent King wrote:
I looked constantly when playing games like Perfect Dark or Goldeneye. It's just part of the game for me. Used to watch everyone's guns/crosshairs to see both where they were, and to dodge their shots when fighting.

Ditto

I watched my friends' screens when I play Halo as well, but then again I've only played that game twice

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 01-06-2005 04:11:44 PM
I never needed to look while playing Perfect Dark. But we only played with proxy mines, grenades, and assult rifles or pistols. Rarely sniper rifles, then again, none of the maps had really "good" sniping locations.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-06-2005 04:14:03 PM
Console FPS's? What? You mean there's a good one?

Oh I went there.

MorbId
Pancake
posted 01-06-2005 04:17:09 PM
I will, if the person's on the other side of the map and I can't find them.

Otherwise... it's more of a distraction.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 01-06-2005 04:54:41 PM
quote:
Mortious wrote this stupid crap:
Console FPS's? What? You mean there's a good one?

Oh I went there.

yeah, you've got halo and uhmm..... slave zero... and uh...... halo 2... and uh... did i mention halo?

plus, there's halo

---

as for the topic, other people do it, so I do it back to them rather than whine about it.

diadem fucked around with this message on 01-06-2005 at 04:55 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Maradon!
posted 01-06-2005 04:57:07 PM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
yeah, you've got halo and uhmm..... slave zero... and uh...... halo 2... and uh... did i mention halo?

plus, there's halo

Don't forget Turok 1-3!

Naj
I asked for a title and didn't get banned!
posted 01-06-2005 06:17:41 PM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Optimus Prime:

plus, there's halo

---

as for the topic, other people do it, so I do it back to them rather than whine about it.

He said good console fps.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-06-2005 06:21:23 PM
Halo, Golden Eye, and Perfect Dark were fun for me as far as console FPS's are concerned. I've heard that Ghost Recon and Unreal Championship are pretty good for the XBox, but I've never played them. I probably wouldn't count them anyway, as they are really modified versions of (more successful) PC games.

-Tok

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 01-06-2005 08:01:34 PM
Screen looking is for chumps, especially on 1 on 1 games. It's precisely why my friends and I won't play Halo without at least two x-boxes now, so each team can have one in seperate rooms.

For me, at least, looking at the other guy's screen ruins the fun of the game. I'd much rather get a kill because I was quicker on the draw, or effectively executed a surprise attack, rather than because I saw the enemy coming around the corner on his screen.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 01-06-2005 08:05:01 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Maradon!:
Don't forget Turok 1-3!

Rage Wars was pretty fun too.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-07-2005 01:14:03 AM
Played multiplayer MP2E with a friend the other day. Lots of looking at both parts of the screen.

There's nothing quite as fun as grabbing some weapon (say, the Death Ball, for example) and hearing the person next to go "Oh shit".

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Maradon!
posted 01-07-2005 02:06:19 AM
quote:
How.... Palador ChibiDragon.... uughhhhhh:
Played multiplayer MP2E with a friend the other day.

Max Payne, Second Edition?

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 01-07-2005 03:27:31 AM
Amongst my friends and gaming group, its considered extremely rude and newbish to look at other people's screens on purpose. We all sort of dodge reflexively at seeing someone scope and sometimes the color of someone's area background makes their location very obvious, but other than that we don't have a problem keeping our eyes on our quarter of the screen. It makes the game far more fun.
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-07-2005 02:18:06 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s account was hax0red to write:
Max Payne, Second Edition?

We defined MP2E in Nae's rant thread

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 01-07-2005 at 02:18 PM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-07-2005 02:26:26 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about pies:
We defined MP2E in Nae's rant thread

He knows. He's just taking a shot at everyone who even expressed any effort in making that distinction, along with letting it be a subtle hint that he would rather not acknowledge a Nintendo product.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 01-07-2005 05:30:36 PM
quote:
Kael got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Rage Wars was pretty fun too.

Cerebral Bore!

Bzzzzzzzzzzzz

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 01-07-2005 05:33:01 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about pies:
He knows. He's just taking a shot at everyone who even expressed any effort in making that distinction, along with letting it be a subtle hint that he would rather not acknowledge a Nintendo product.

That's rather deep.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-07-2005 07:53:29 PM
quote:
Arttemis had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Screen looking is for chumps, ... For me, at least, looking at the other guy's screen ruins the fun of the game. I'd much rather get a kill because I was quicker on the draw, or effectively executed a surprise attack, rather than because I saw the enemy coming around the corner on his screen.
Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-09-2005 12:11:16 PM
It depends. If I'm playing a game and the person is using it to be a prick (using it to cut off my approach on a weapon cache, etc) when there's no real way they would've otherwise known where I'm going, I get annoyed. Lyinar's nephew Wes did that a couple of times. I got around that in Red Faction by carrying a rail gun and scanning through the walls.

For the most part, though, I don't sweat it. I turn it into the fun. I've got Wes into trash talking, so now we banter back and forth when we grab guns, find ideal positions, etc.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-09-2005 03:17:54 PM
I'm more prone to simply punch the guy in the nuts, then kill him after he drops his controller. But then, I see console gaming as markedly similar to any activity my buddies and I might do together, that is: an excuse to drink beer and laugh at each other's pain.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: