EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What were your favorite games in 2004!?
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 01-03-2005 07:54:14 AM
Every major game reviewer place pretty much has their game of the year awards. But this is not for that! This is YOUR game of the year. It can be a game that just came out in 2004 or one that you've played for the first time last year.

Ready, go.

Playstation 2 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Gamecube - Pokémon Colosseum (I barely bought anything for my cube this year. )
X-Box - DDR Ultramix 2
Gameboy Advance - Pokémon Fire Red
Nintendo DS - Feel the Magic
PC - Sacred
Other - Super Castlevania IV for SNES

Honorable Mentions - Halo 2 for X-Box, Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls for GBA

Game of the Year - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 01-03-2005 at 07:54 AM.

Gadani
U
posted 01-03-2005 08:06:35 AM
XBox - Fable
GBA - Final Fantasy I and II: Dawn of Souls
PC - World of Warcraft

Game of the Year: World of Warcraft.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-03-2005 08:14:16 AM
XBox - Halo 2
PC - HL2
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Kael
Whistlepig
posted 01-03-2005 08:16:25 AM
Playstation 2 - Tie - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
GameCube - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
PC - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
GameBoy Advanced - Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls

Honorable Mention: Samurai Warriors, PS2 Pun intended? Perhaps.

"A" for Effort: Front Mission 4, La Pucelle: Tactics, Psi Ops. All PS2

Biggest Letdown: Lord of the Rings: The Third Age. Had too much FFX for my taste, and the story was rather boring

As for my "Game of the Year", I really can't choose one game. But it would have to be Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I have logged at least 100 hours playing this, doing the story line missions, odd jobs, and just goofing off. The only other games I've played for over 100+ hours have been Disgaea, Front Mission 3, and Final Fantasy Tactics (if you count multiple playthroughs).

To get this much replay value out of an action game is a real treat. If you own a PS2, or you're willing to wait till June for PC/X-Box, I reccomend, nay, I command you to get GTA: SA. You will not be dissapointed.

Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 01-03-2005 08:23:07 AM
World of Warcraft.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 01-03-2005 08:30:01 AM
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-03-2005 08:56:22 AM
EverQuest II

I've been playing it religiously since I got it.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 01-03-2005 10:37:04 AM
PS2: GTA:San Andreas (of course it's the only console game I bought in '04)
PC: LoTR Battle For Middle Earth. I mean, wow. I know it's the Tolkien fanboy in me, but I can't stop playing this game. KOTOR is a close second, though.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Blackened
posted 01-03-2005 10:40:06 AM
World of Warcraft was my 2003 game of the year ( ) , so...

PC: Half-Life 2
PS2: GTA:SA
Xbox: Fable

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-03-2005 10:44:30 AM
XBox: Halo 2
GCN: Final Fantasy Crystal Cronicles
Mod
Pancake
posted 01-03-2005 11:04:28 AM
All my console games are pre-2004, for PC WoW is probably the one I enjoyed most, Rome: Total War comes in a close second and the thrid place is a tie between VtM: Bloodlines (Great except for the shitty bugs) and HL2 (Great except for the dumbest ending since Matrix: Reloaded).
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 01-03-2005 11:17:08 AM
PC: World of Warcraft
Xbox: Fable
PS2: Xmen Legends
Gamecube: Metroid Prmie 2
Feed my hungry soul.
bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 01-03-2005 11:18:29 AM
For PC, I'm going with Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. Sure it required a LOT of patience to play, but luckily it sufficiently freaked me out enough (Ocean House Hotel, anyone?) to make up for it.

LaPucelle and Katamari Damacy are up there...but nothing I truly, truly loved came out this year.

"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-03-2005 12:51:47 PM
KotoR.

It's awesome.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 01-03-2005 01:00:09 PM
PC - Half Life 2
PS2 - MGS3: Snake Eater
Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 01-03-2005 01:03:13 PM
Greetings,

PS2 - Phantom Brave, La Pucelle Tatics, Technic Beat, Katamari Damacy, Taiko Drum Master, Hot Shots Golf Fore

XB - Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2

GC - Donkey Konga

GBA/DS - FF Dawn of Souls, Metroid Zero Mission, Mr Driller

PC - City of Heros, Everquest 2

MultiPlatform - ESPN Football 2k5, X-Men Legends

Game of the Year - Katamari Damacy

I find myself yearning, and often, playing this game every single day. Sometimes at work I will just break out and start humming the game's theme. In fact I have not had a game that I found this enjoyable since Everquest first came out.

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-03-2005 02:34:47 PM
Playstation 2 - Phantom Brave
Gamecube - Tales of Symphonia
X-Box - Madden 2005
Nintendo DS - Mario 64 DS
PC - World of Warcraft
Bargain Bin - Katamari Damacy, 20 bucks at release = rock
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-03-2005 02:53:08 PM
PS2: GTA - San Andreas
PC honorable mention: World of Warcraft

Game of the Year: Half-Life 2

Janus.
I am not a woman
posted 01-03-2005 04:22:01 PM
PS2: Jak 3, Metal Gear Solid 3
GBA: Final Fantasy: dawn of souls
PC: Half Life 2
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-03-2005 05:07:13 PM
PS2: Champions of Norrath. Despite the many bugs, this is one of the most fun RPGs I've ever played. It even beats BG: DA2 (Although I got that one for XBox). Had I bought DA2 for PS2, it would be second.

XBox: HALO 2. It should be very obvious. Demon Stone comes second, DA2 a close third.

PC: Unreal Tournament 2004. This game is pure awesome, stuffed in a box, thrown into a wood chipper, and scattered around some soil, thus allowing even more pure awesome to grow. I don't really like the vehicles, they're an absolute bitch to control with mouselook, but I don't much care for the game types in which you find vehicles, either. Invasion is absolutely amazing, and is even better if you have the UT2004RPG mutator. Deathmatch is just as good as always. And they have ASSAULT MODE!! This was one of my favourite game types in original UT. And the coolest part? New super weapons. One of which is a giant orbital death laser. Enemy defenses? What defenses? Bot difficulty seems to be increased across the board, as well. I'm playing with Novice bots and, while not necessarily hard, the bots are still pretty good. UT2004 is the ultimate slaughterfest.

As for second, even though I've no interest in it, I gotta give this to HL2. It is an awesome game, it's just not my kind of game.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-03-2005 05:30:55 PM
The giant orbital death laser was in 2003
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-03-2005 05:41:04 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Kegwen said this:
The giant orbital death laser was in 2003

I haven't played 2k3. 2k4 = t|eh pwn.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
--8-Bit Theater
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 01-03-2005 05:47:45 PM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
PS2: GTA - San Andreas

Game of the Year: Half-Life 2

i r so original

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 01-03-2005 05:55:50 PM
PS2 - GTA:SA
PC - Civ3 (w/Conquests)
Xbox - Morrowind (GotY edition)
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-03-2005 06:20:21 PM
Ah! One thing about UT2k4 I forgot to add...

There's one downside to bot play, the fact that if you use the map default number of bots, there doesn't seem to be nearly enough. Some maps in 2k4 are huge, so you'll need to cram 32 friggin' bots in if you want a slaughterfest. However, the good thing there is you can cram 32 bots in, whereas in original UT you could only get 16 maximum. It's a little odd, though. Some maps say they're meant for 4 to 8 players, when they're big enough for 32 or possibly more.

--8-Bit Theater
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 01-03-2005 07:35:34 PM
Ps2: Call of Duty
PC: WOW
Honorable Mention: Madden.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-03-2005 09:23:26 PM
Strangely enough, my game of the year is Planetside...I've spent the most time with it by far...

And I can't really pin down why...but it's fun!

Naj
I asked for a title and didn't get banned!
posted 01-03-2005 09:59:48 PM
|
|
|
|
v
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 01-04-2005 04:16:14 AM
Rome: Total War
World of Warcraft

A bit of a draw between the two but I think Rome wins out because it captures my imagination a bit more.

I only had a few days to play it while I was home for a week and a half but I loved it so.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-04-2005 12:11:50 PM
quote:
Naj had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
|
|
|
|
v

I can't heap enough love upon that video. It's just...awesome.
Skaw
posted 01-05-2005 03:57:01 AM
I'm gonna cheat, since I don't own a PS2, but do own a GameCube!

PS2 - Viewtiful Joe 2
XBX - Heylow 2
GCN - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
PC - Half-Life 2
GBA - Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls.

Cysa Damerc
Pancake
posted 01-05-2005 04:02:15 AM
Xbox - THUG2
PC - WoW

Over all - WoW

Ohsnap back with avengeance
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 01-05-2005 02:25:46 PM
WoW, the first game of any kind I've purchased in... gee, two years.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-05-2005 03:04:40 PM
The only new games I bought this year were Unreal Tournament 2004 and EverQuest II, but I've been extremely satisfied with both of them! I think I'm getting old and cheap, because I like to wait for games to stay out for awhile and see the price come down before I buy them.

-Tok

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: