EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Yet another book thread... with a difference!
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 01-02-2005 09:01:20 AM
What books (graphic novels, stories, what-have-you) do you love to read again and again? How often do you read these books? Why do you re-read those books?

Also, if you were stranded on a deserted island and could take only three books with you, what books would you choose and why? (Bonus points if you know where this question originates.)

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-02-2005 09:34:16 AM
I read and re-read enders game over and over again.

Based my some of me decision making on it, and it worked very well for me.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Sean
posted 01-02-2005 09:39:28 AM
I don't exactly read it over and over and over (because it's so fucking long), but every once in a while I'll pick Romance of the Three Kingdoms back up and re-read a few chapters. It's bland reading, but a great story, I it.

If I was stuck on an aforementioned deserted isle, I'd have to go a little surreal; Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, etc.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-02-2005 09:43:18 AM
If I was stuck on a desert island I'd want to ahve the neverending story, the one from the movies, that keeps on going.

Would get boring on an island.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 01-02-2005 10:50:38 AM
Books I've reread almost a dozen times apiece: The Alienist and the Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr, the five Timothy Zahn books in the Star Wars Expanded Universe series, Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy, and another 'what-if-America-and-the-Soviets-warred' book called...Team Yankee. I just love everything about those books.

As for books on a deserted island? Red Storm Rising and the Caleb Carr books. They're my favorite out of the above.

bloodfyr fucked around with this message on 01-02-2005 at 10:53 AM.

"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 01-02-2005 10:53:32 AM
Book I've read the most... 'Sentenced to Prism'. God, got that thing back in like grade 4 and I've read it a hundred times since then.

Books I most want to read again and again, 'The Dresden Files' series, books 1-6 so far. Picked the set up recently and I am now like crack addict level of hooked on them.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 01-02-2005 10:54:00 AM
I've always loved reading Dave Barry's "Big Trouble" whenever I had nothing else.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 01-02-2005 01:32:49 PM
The Harry Potter books. I've read them each like 5 times.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 01-02-2005 02:31:04 PM
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 01-02-2005 02:51:13 PM
I don't really reread books. I read Siddhartha twice, The Cleric Quintet twice...thats really about it.
Razor
posted 01-02-2005 05:26:06 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Pirotess:
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Ares
posted 01-02-2005 05:36:23 PM
The Witches of Eilanan series by Kate Forsythe.

She's an excellent fantasy writter and needs more publicity. Her books carry lots of description and her plots and worlds are tightly woven and are truly believable. She also makes women the prime focus in the main characters.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 01-02-2005 07:24:14 PM
quote:
Ares had this to say about Duck Tales:
The Witches of Eilanan series by Kate Forsythe.

She's an excellent fantasy writter and needs more publicity. Her books carry lots of description and her plots and worlds are tightly woven and are truly believable. She also makes women the prime focus in the main characters.

Just wondering, how many books are in the series?

As for my own books, I don't tend to re-read many of them. I've always wanted to go back and re-read some of the more complex ones though. The Song of Ice and Fire books are too immense to get the whole scope of things on the first run through.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Burger
BANNED!
posted 01-02-2005 08:16:01 PM
I've reread most of my Heinlein at least once, but most espescially The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, The Number of the Beast, and Stranger in a Strange Land.

As for my three books to have on a deserted island? The SAS survival guide, the Boyscout Fieldbook, and an encyclopedia britannica.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Ares
posted 01-02-2005 08:20:26 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Rodent King was all like:
Just wondering, how many books are in the series?

As for my own books, I don't tend to re-read many of them. I've always wanted to go back and re-read some of the more complex ones though. The Song of Ice and Fire books are too immense to get the whole scope of things on the first run through.

6 books in total. At about 600 pages each.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 01-02-2005 08:59:29 PM
I've read through both the Belgariad and the Mallorian about 10 times each. Haven't been through them in a while, but i think time's coming closer to when i will again.

As for three books, Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings, Icon by Fredrick Forsyth, and Cryptonimicon by Neil Stevenson. I'd bring a deck of cards to learn Solitaire from Cryptonomicon too.

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 01-02-2005 10:48:47 PM
When I was a kid I read "Run Nicky(?) Run", sequal to "The Cross and the Switchblade", too many times.

"Amber" series, "Thorn Memory, and Sorrow", "Eon", "Eternity"(?), and the "Hyperion" series.

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Demos
Pancake
posted 01-02-2005 10:57:54 PM
I've reread the Shanarra series books by Terry Brooks countless times. Its just such a rich, detailed and enthralling environment its an experience every time.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 01-02-2005 11:08:25 PM
The Mission Earth series. Can't say I care for scientology or half it's members, but Hubbard spun some interesting characters and it was a good read most of the way through. The last book and a half are a bit slow compared to the first 8.5

Incarnations of Immortality. I reread them at random.

I'd reread Cthon, Pthor, Soma and Plasm, but I lost the first one to an old high school friend (she went to college with the book), I've only borrowed the second one once and I can't find the last 2.

I'd like to get book 3 of the Dresden Files so I can move on to books 4, 5 and 6. I've reread 1 and 2 twice now.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
CBTao
Pancake
posted 01-03-2005 12:18:49 AM
I've reread the Belgariad and Mallorean a hojillion times, same with the core dragonlance series (Chronicles, Legends). And the Shannara series. Hitchhikers about 5 times through. Dune only once, fixing to remedy that after I clear out my Arthurian Legend queue. LotR only once, that will be fixed after dune, by then it should start coming around to Harry potter 6 time, so I'll tear through that series. PREACHER!!!

if I had to choose 3 books?

Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide, my Preacher collection, and probably my Edding's collection.

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 01-03-2005 01:12:30 AM
I would take "Basic Desert Island Survival Tips," "Coconut Electronics Theory," and "The Big Book of Signal Mirrors"

bloodfyr
Pancake
posted 01-03-2005 01:26:43 AM
That's strange. I've never really found any other fans of Eddings before now, though I'm honestly more partial to his Elenium/Tamuli series.

But Polgara the Sorceress is still his best book.

"If you've got twins, why not sell one? You get a kid and a few extra bucks on the side." - George Carlin

*!Warning: Disregard everthing I post. The whiskey is probably speaking!*

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-03-2005 01:38:23 AM
There's only one book I've ever read more than once, and that was "I, Jedi." I'm not really ever compelled to reread books, I don't know why. Love reading through good ones once, and then I just like to savor them for like...ever.

If I could only have three books on an island, they would probably be: "I, Jedi," "Black Boy," (both of those are written in first person, which I think it just awesome) and "The Diary of Anne Frank."

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 01-03-2005 01:47:32 AM
One of mine would be Alexander at the World's End, by Tom Holt. It's a truly excellent book. A darkly witty historical novel, exceptionally well done.

As for the three books, I'd take Alexander at the World's End, The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, and Dune, by Frank Herbert.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 01-03-2005 03:26:54 AM
quote:
So quoth bloodfyr:
That's strange. I've never really found any other fans of Eddings before now, though I'm honestly more partial to his Elenium/Tamuli series.

But Polgara the Sorceress is still his best book.

ever read his earlier stuff, I'm a huge fan of The Losers.

also I mudded on a Belgariad/Mallorean based mud for some 7 years, heh.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 01-03-2005 04:13:03 AM
I've reread the Heir to the Empire series a bunch...

But, hands down I read Nick Hornby's 'High Fidelity' at least every couple months. I love it.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: