EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Snow driving tips
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-20-2004 02:18:24 AM
How do you get up hills in the heavy snow? If I put my car in first and try to go slowly, nothing happens. If I try to speed my way through, I smell burning rubber and don't move and realise that's a bad idea. When I back up and try to get momentum I just slide up at whatever angle my car wants then slide back down. Is there a magic trick or is the answer simply "you can't?"

(Fyi, 200hp fwd accord, all season tires)

(ozzy saw this happen to a lesser extent when I was trying to drive him home earlier. happened again in a futile attempt to reach my own driveay. ended up parking at a nearby health club and walked home)

diadem fucked around with this message on 12-20-2004 at 02:19 AM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-20-2004 02:21:24 AM
Got chains?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-20-2004 02:24:12 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Got chains?

no. don't think they are legal here either. the snowplow will eventually come. sometimes, like now, situations arise when that isn't an option. i was wondering if there was a "proper" way to sneak a car up a hill in bad conditions.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-20-2004 02:28:47 AM
If you can't improve the traction on your tires you're probably SOL.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-20-2004 02:29:39 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
If you can't improve the traction on your tires you're probably SOL.

figured as much. thanks.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 12-20-2004 02:30:28 AM
Get a couple large buddies to stand over the front tires?

Most vehicles I've driven in the snow have been rwd, if it's my dads truck we throw these 5 huge tree rounds in the back, and that helps a lot.

My moms mini-van, we've got a double sized milk crate full of free weights we toss in the back.

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-20-2004 02:33:42 AM
If you're in a hilly area, then there's no excuse not to have a good set of snow tires in the wintertime. What I do is I have one set of tires (All-season) for summer, and one set for winter. If I take the tires to the place I bought them from, they switch them over for me for free each season.

The key thing to note is that if you're like me and you live in a snowy place in winters, then having a good set of snowtires can make all the difference in the world. There are many, many, many times I cruise past 4-wheel SUV's and trucks that are hopelessly stuck because my tires pwn

Mightion Defensor
posted 12-20-2004 04:12:20 AM
In an emergency, try backing up the hill. That shifts the vehicle's weight onto the drive wheels if it's FWD.

EDIT: Whoops, re-read; see you tried that.

Better tires, then?

Mightion Defensor fucked around with this message on 12-20-2004 at 04:13 AM.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 12-20-2004 07:04:54 AM
Salt the ice?

Perhaps you can make it up if the ice isnt to the point where it cant be broken. I know a lot of places just use sand, and that only turns into muddy ice. Large grain salt works best.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 12-20-2004 11:18:01 AM
My guess is that you have a manual transmission? Avoid using 1st gear and place the car in second or third gear to keep the wheels from spinning too much. The idea is to keep off where other people have driven and packed the snow into the road too so move your tires just off the beaten path that others might have driven over already. Sometimes I'll even put my passenger side tires just off the edge of the pavement and use the gravel or sand edging of the road to help get me up the hill. If there are curbs, your options are limited.

For bad areas it's not a bad idea to have a ice cream pail filled with sand and salt and a shovel.

As for better winter tires, I highly recommend Blizzak tires but make sure that you take them off as soon as the worst of the winter weather is gone. They are very soft spongy material that have incredible grip but that wears off quickly in the heat of summer.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 12-20-2004 11:20:15 AM
Why wouldn't chains be legal? I don't understand.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-20-2004 11:26:36 AM
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Nae stammered,
Why wouldn't chains be legal? I don't understand.
They damage the road surface.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 12-20-2004 11:27:19 AM
quote:
`Doc's account was hax0red to write:
They damage the road surface.

I see.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-20-2004 11:47:06 AM
quote:
Kaglaaz How'ler wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
As for better winter tires, I highly recommend Blizzak tires but make sure that you take them off as soon as the worst of the winter weather is gone. They are very soft spongy material that have incredible grip but that wears off quickly in the heat of summer.

That's what I used to use, for like 6 years

I got 'em taken off every spring, and put 'em on every fall, and they lasted years for me. And you're damn right about the incredible grip - I live on a mountain, and I had NEVER slipped once when I had those.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-20-2004 12:51:10 PM
Aparently I didn't explain the situation well enough. I was driving at around 2 am during a blizzard. There were no other cars my road home driving before me, and no plows before that. Putting weights in my car or anything that requires prepertion isn't an option. If I could have gotten home in the first place, why wouldn't I just wait for the plows? Messing with the public roads isn't an option either, and is just silly. Besides, there's no way i'm going to be able to clear that much snow, especially in the given weather.

There were only three options that I read that were useful to me -
Drive backwards, I never thought of that.
Don't go in first gear up hill in the snow. high torque bad. (not that I have much control w/ an automatic)
And the "you're shit out of luck for now, get blizzarks." This seems like the best solution.

edit: when I meant heavy snow I meant you can't tell the road from the not-road.

diadem fucked around with this message on 12-20-2004 at 12:54 PM.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-20-2004 12:57:05 PM
quote:
diadem really knows where their towel is...
There were only three options that I read that were useful to me -
Drive backwards, I never thought of that.
Don't go in first gear up hill in the snow. high torque bad. (not that I have much control w/ an automatic)
And the "you're shit out of luck for now, get blizzarks." This seems like the best solution.

Even in an automatic, you can put the car manually into 1st or second gear. Reverse doesn't have the same option, however.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-20-2004 01:34:50 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on `Doc!
Even in an automatic, you can put the car manually into 1st or second gear. Reverse doesn't have the same option, however.

i belive the point was i DON'T want the lower gears at that point. I can shift down, but not up. in other words, I can put it in first gear and be garneteed first. If it put it in second, i still could be using first and there's nothing i'd be able to do to stop it.

diadem fucked around with this message on 12-20-2004 at 01:35 PM.

Agent A
Underpowered on Purpose
posted 12-20-2004 01:35:44 PM
My dad use to make me put big bags of sand in my trunk, or something heavy. That tends to help alittle.
"How do you all feel about beastiality with taxidermy? It seems like most people aren't very down with it, in fact, alot of people are only medium down with it. But if you only get to second base, where's the harm, right?"
- Melora Creager
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 12-20-2004 01:51:11 PM
quote:
Agent A had this to say about Optimus Prime:
My dad use to make me put big bags of sand in my trunk, or something heavy. That tends to help alittle.

Only if you have rear wheel drive or all wheel drive vehical. Otherwise it's pretty much just dead weight.

Get snow tires you fruit cake, the place you buy them from should be happy to switch them out for your regular all seasons once the weather turns.

My tire place is more than happy to help me out with damn near any problem that I have on any vehical my family has. The own like that, and they're a chain type place too. I'll probably end up going to them to get my A/C recharged instead of trying to find someplace else to do it too, just becuase they have such awesome service. Shouldn't be to hard to find something like that near where you live.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-20-2004 03:45:38 PM
Normally I'd suggest some sort of dirigible, something stashed on the roof in one of those luggage thingers, moored to the chassis, with a release and several cannisters of helium to get the dirigible inflated, then just float above the landscape. Dirigibles do really shitty in the winter, though.

In this case, however, you really only have two options:

1. Rockets. A few directable turbines should get you up a hill no problem. These are fuel-hungry little bastards, though. Not good on a budget.

2. Legs:
2a. Walker legs. They worked for the Empire, they'll work for you. You want big wide feet to destribute the weight of your car more evenly. Just beware of snowspeeders and little whiny Jedi gits with grappling lines.

2b. Yabba Dabba Doo. Cut the floor out, rearrange the undercarriage items, and make your passenger help you Flintstone it up the hill.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael fucked around with this message on 12-20-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-20-2004 04:34:51 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Caid '5 Fists' Berrit was all like:
Get a couple large buddies to stand over the front tires?

you mean like.. run over a couple tall people for traction?

diadem fucked around with this message on 12-20-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-20-2004 05:19:27 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael obviously shouldn't have said:
1. Rockets. A few directable turbines should get you up a hill no problem. These are fuel-hungry little bastards, though. Not good on a budget.

Rockets, eh? Hmm... Interesting...

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Razor
posted 12-20-2004 05:56:06 PM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
you mean like.. run over a couple tall people for traction?

Front wheel drive with auto, best thing to do is get a couple 2"x8"x12' planks of wood, and place them down and the wood can help for traction, then get snow tires for the rest of the time. Driving in snow can be like driving on sand at times.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: