EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Workout Hints and Tips (or perhaps a critque?...)
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 12-14-2004 01:11:11 AM
I know quite a few of you work out or are well versed in that area, so I have a question for you.

Ok, I'm in pretty decent shape, but recently I decided I wanted to shape up my body.

So, using what I know from PE, I set out to the gym (Free, well equipped Offut AFB Gym =p)

My Workout is Thus:

-Stretch

-4 Laps around the very very large track (This gym is a converted hanger...3 laps is one mile, 4 is 1 1/2 Miles). I run the straights, pushing myself, then walk/jog the curves, with one cool down lap. I sweat a little, and, strangely, I'm only really out of breath/hurting sometimes

-Stretch

-20 Minutes on a hanging bag, intense kicks and punches, this one gets me sweating and working hard.

-Stretch

-10 sets of 10 situps. 1st and 6th in a set are "regular" situps, the other 8 are elbow to opposite knee situps.

-Stretch

-Machine work: Starting on The Machine that's basically a Bench Press but you're sitting, the machine and gym workers say it works exactly like the bench, but you don't need a spotter. Ok. So, on that machine I start at 40 and do 20. Then down to 25, do 20, then 10 and do 40.

-Curling Machine: 25 of 25, 25 of 10

-Stretch

----------

And that's it. I've done every other day for a month now, loyal every time, and I like it, I think it's fun. The first few times I was sore as fuck afterwards, but now I'm fine. Now, is this a sign I need to increase the intensity?

I dunno if it's my mind playing tricks on me, but I notice an increase in my arms, a bit in my pecs, and small, small lines in my abs starting to form. Although, there is still (sadly) a small bit of flub there to work down.

So, is this a good workout? Takes me about an hour to do.

My goals are to define my abs, build my arms a bit, burn that flab, and build my wind up. Should I refine it? Intensify it?

Thanks

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Error
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 02:35:58 AM
Before/After pics?
Flea
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 02:46:12 AM
If you want a real good work out, alternate days of working certain muscles with other muscles.

Like on Monday Wednesday Friday, work upper body on the machines and on Tuesday Thursday Saturday, work out your lower body (legs). And then alternate Sundays or take it off for rest.

The best thing to do is just talk to a trainer at your club about a possible workout plan. They are there to help so that you can get the most from your workout.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 02:56:48 AM
quote:
3 laps is one mile, 4 is 1 1/2 Miles

Wait a minute, how the hell does this work? Are you jumping down a pipe and going to Warp Zone during the last lap?

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Kael
Whistlepig
posted 12-14-2004 03:01:44 AM
I could also use a few tips to improve my running game. I can only do about 3/4 of a mile running a full bore, maybe a mile if I pace myself a little. After that I'm dust.

Yet, I can ride bike, mountian trails or normal street trails, for 4 to 6 hours only stopping to eat. Sparring or working on the hanging bag I can also do for an hour or two. D:

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-14-2004 03:04:29 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe said this about your mom:
Wait a minute, how the hell does this work? Are you jumping down a pipe and going to Warp Zone during the last lap?

Are you aware, sir, that your mask appears to be leaking ice cream at an alarming rate?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-14-2004 03:09:44 AM
That's more than I do, though I use heavier weights and low reps for building muscle mass (low weights and high reps are for toning).

Sounds fine to me if you can keep that up, just don't overstretch yourself and burn out after doing it for a week or two.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-14-2004 10:20:58 AM
My workout.

--Stretch

--open beer tab

--curl 12 fl oz

--curl 10 fl oz

--curl 8 fl oz

--curl 6 fl oz

--curl 4 fl oz

--curl 2 fl oz

--crush can

--walk 15 ft

--arm pull

--walk 15 ft

I usually repeat that 6 times or so.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-14-2004 10:25:42 AM
The aerobics sound good. I've been told to vary my own routine, but it sounds like you've got a pattern going. My only reccommendation is to periodically raise the difficulty. Try sprinting the first lap one time (straightaway and curves). After a while, add a fifth lap. If you were on a treadmill, I'd suggest adding an incline. But really, it's a good run as long as you're getting what you want out of it. It's more than I can do (my lungs suck). If you get bored, then try doing something else, like bicycling or stairclimbing.

I don't use a punching bag, but from what I understand, it's a great stress reliever.

A lot of professionals reccommend crunches instead of situps. I personally advise a mix, as they emphasize different (neighboring) muscle groups. In my own routine, I've been using an inclined situp bench with small (10 lb/arm) hand weights, alternating with crunches on a level mat (unweighted). My chief reccommendation here is to experiment, and don't do what's easiest. Also, if you use an inclined bench and your head starts to hurt from the blood rushing to it, reduce the incline.

When using machines (or freeweights), don't set the weight too low. Back in highschool I saw two overweight girls put 5 lbs on a weight machine and just flap their arms (and their lips) for an hour as if they were doing work. If it isn't at least somewhat difficult, it isn't doing you any good at all. When you bench or curl with 10 lbs, does it feel like you're doing work (i.e. does it tire you out)? If so, okay. If not, raise the weight, even if it means less repetitions. Also, on any machine that uses both arms (or both legs) to lift one weight, make sure one arm isn't doing the lion's share of the work.

I reccommend the rowing machine rather than the curler. Curls work only one muscle group, while the rowing machine (like the sitting bench) works some muscles in your torso and shoulders along with the arms.

Sets of 25 really aren't the best way to go. It'll raise your endurance some, but your strength won't build as quickly. Use sets of 10-15, raise the weight if possible, and do at least 3 sets. Consult what Mortious said about this, because I've received the same information.

Stretching will keep you flexible, but keep in mind it also takes time and cools you down. If you're not in a warm environment, this can be a problem. Cold muscles cramp when overworked.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 10:32:04 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe wrote, obviously thinking too hard:

Probably each lap is a little more than a third of a mile, so with rounding 3 ls 1 mile, but by adding the 4th lap it then rounds to 1.5 miles.

ie, each lap is .38 miles- .38 x 3 = 1.14, .38 x 4 = 1.52

I don't know what the exact numbers are, but that makes sense.

Noxhil fucked around with this message on 12-14-2004 at 10:32 AM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-14-2004 04:41:02 PM
quote:
Khyron's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Are you aware, sir, that your mask appears to be leaking ice cream at an alarming rate?

I'm still cracking up at that comment!

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-14-2004 05:08:06 PM
Getting in shape is two things
1) Workout
2) Diet

you need to make sure you keep a proper diet and drink lots of water to see a good improvement.

as for the weights, try to start low and get higher, don't start high and get lower. as was stated before, sets of 10-14 reps are best. three sets are fine, just down the reps and boost weight as the sets continue. you'll hate it the first two or three times, just to warn you.

btw, you seem to be focusing more on endurance then strength building... but the weights help...

i'll post more later

edit: I envy your frequency of streching

edit2: for better situps, put your hands on the side of your head and point outwoards, while looking straight up. don't use htem to support your head, just keep them there. once that gets easier, put your hands up like you are getting arrested as you do the situps, but keep looking straight up at some point of the cealing above you..

edit: as sage said when i asked for advice myself.. and my research verifies.... you can't lose weight in a spacific place... so there's no way to stop the "flub" you speak of

diadem fucked around with this message on 12-14-2004 at 05:14 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 12-14-2004 06:17:24 PM
quote:
Noxhil had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Probably each lap is a little more than a third of a mile, so with rounding 3 ls 1 mile, but by adding the 4th lap it then rounds to 1.5 miles.

ie, each lap is .38 miles- .38 x 3 = 1.14, .38 x 4 = 1.52

I don't know what the exact numbers are, but that makes sense.

I figured he was rounding off; I was just going for the Mario reference

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: