EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Man lives under important Chicago bridge for 3+ years
Alaan
posted 12-13-2004 10:39:19 AM
Chicago Sun Times

quote:
City pulls plug on home in drawbridge
December 13, 2004

BY ANNIE SWEENEY

The Lake Shore Drive drawbridge that spans the Chicago River carries thousands of cars a day.

It's among the first structures to catch the vicious winter winds off the lake.

And it's one of the final barriers for tall-masted rivercraft seeking open water.

To suburban native Richard Dorsay, though, it's home.

Or it was until Sunday, when the 36-year-old homeless man was evicted by police and city officials -- who were stunned to find he'd been living for at least three years in a little wooden village built into the beams and girders of the bridge's intricate underbelly.

Dorsay and several of his "neighbors" were able to enter through a slim, almost unnoticeable opening in the median of the double-decker bridge's lower level. They then crawled to their lair, which was replete with creature comforts and nearly invisible to anybody on the river.

Dorsay tapped into the bridge's electricity to power a space heater, television, PlayStation video game and microwave.

If he had to bathe, he might slip upstairs to the usually vacant -- and sometimes unlocked -- bridgetender's office and wash off in a sink.

Authorities were amazed not only by his elaborate setup, but that he had managed to survive so long inside a bridge that, in the warmer months at least, regularly rises and lowers, shifting gears and tons of steel.

But to Dorsay, that was just part of the pace of his life below, which included watching Bears games and sharing a few beers with friends.

When the bells rang, signaling the arms of the bridge soon would ascend, he braced for a ride and cruised with the bridge as it slowly pitched him forward. If he was sitting down, he'd soon be standing.

"The first time it was scary,'' Dorsay said in an interview. "After that, it was almost like riding a Ferris wheel.''

Kept the TV volume low

Dorsay said curiosity initially brought him there. He spotted a hole in a girder in the midsection of the lower bridge. The bar covering it was broken, so he went in. He wasn't scared, just looking for a place where he would feel safe and secure, and his belongings wouldn't be stolen.

Until then, he'd been hauling his gear with him, finding shelter at various spots around the city.

He settled in below and carried in anything that could fit through the hole, which is roughly 36-by-12 inches.

Two other people also found refuge there, including a 23-year-old homeless man from Schaumburg.

To get to Dorsay's nest, he'd burrow about three feet down, through the hole, then shinny about five feet across a cement beam.

Several wooden huts with sleeping quarters were built. Dorsay's was a little cramped, but there's a platform that provides clearance of nearly six feet in places.

Building and decorating -- and the installation of Dorsay's 19-inch television -- was difficult. A rope was enlisted, as well as extra hands, to hoist larger items into the bridge through other openings, Dorsay said.

He used an extension cord to tap into electrical outlets in the bridge to power a VCR, microwave and television that got "OK'' reception. He said he occasionally slipped into the tower office if it was unlocked to use the sink to clean. "They were Commonwealth [Edison] and the water company all at once,'' said Dorsay.

He kept the TV volume low to train his ears on the sounds of the bridge or to hear whether someone was approaching.

He came to like Sunday nights, the quietest time of the week. He thought to himself, "If I keep my mouth shut, this will be perfect.''

Whenever he left the bridge, Dorsay popped his head out of the hole -- like a "turtle'' -- to see if traffic was clear. Once out, he'd panhandle or find items to sell at junkyards. He also collects a welfare check, he said.

He had found, he figured, a place that was safe, secure and peaceful. Then last week, his 23-year-old bridgemate got arrested.

'Never seen this'

Michael Scipior was arrested Thursday in Streamwood on suspicion of possession of a stolen motor vehicle and burglary.

While in custody, he allegedly gave police Dorsay's name, implicating him in criminal activity and telling them about the bridge. Scipior also allegedly said there was a gun inside a cooler in their lair, Chicago Police said.

Streamwood cops contacted Chicago, and Central District officers were called to investigate.

They surrounded the bridge last Thursday but had difficulty getting at the platform, police said. But they did arrest Dorsay, who happened to come to the bridge during the search.

Dorsay went to Streamwood for questioning but was released over the weekend without being charged. He was brought to the Central District station, where he was charged Saturday with criminal trespass to property, a misdemeanor.

At 5 a.m. Sunday, the city raised the bridge, shutting down traffic for 40 minutes, to allow tactical officers to search for the gun. No weapon was found, and Dorsay's home was cleared out, with more cleanup to continue today.

Dorsay's nest was well-hidden, with blankets camouflaging the huts so they would be difficult to spot from the water.

Tom Powers, a deputy commissioner for the Chicago Department of Transportation, was on the scene Sunday. There have been other squatters inside the city's bridges before, Powers said, but he was surprised by the extent of Dorsay's furnishings.

"I've never seen this," he said. "Usually it's somebody trying to get warm for the night.''

The discovery likely will lead to a re-evaluation of the current security sweeps that are done weekly, Powers said. All the girders might also be checked to make sure any holes are barred.

'Can't be an idiot'

Sunday morning, hours after authorities were finished inside the bridge, Dorsay was ready to leave the Central District. He appeared tired, with bags under his eyes and a thick overgrown beard.

As he ate pieces of pizza police gave him and laced up Fila gym shoes given to him by a commander there, Dorsay talked about life inside the bridge and where he's going now. The Hinsdale Central High School graduate, who has dyslexia and a history of emotional problems, said he's long struggled against authority and rules.

His ability to create a home in a city bridge was instinctual.

"You've got to be kind of agile," he said. "You can't be a idiot. . . . It doesn't take long to figure out what you need to do. How long has mankind lived in caves?"

As Dorsay described this, his father arrived to take him to his Burr Ridge home. "I've always hoped that he would find a place and he would seek employment,'' Gary Dorsay said. "He is strong enough and bright enough to do something.''

Normally this would just be a strange story. But after 9/11 it is amazing this guy was never caught. All the bridges in Chicago are supposedly checked weekly, but he lives under one of the most important for 3-4 years. /boggle

Alaan fucked around with this message on 12-13-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 12-13-2004 11:31:21 AM
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 12-13-2004 11:31:56 AM
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 12-13-2004 11:50:15 AM
quote:
Vorago wrote this stupid crap:
That guy is freaking awesome

A true inspiration for the children!

I mean...he built a VILLAGE under a BRIDGE. The government should give him a job in urban management or something.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 12-13-2004 11:56:34 AM
quote:
Gunslinger Moogle stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
A true inspiration for the children!

I mean...he built a VILLAGE under a BRIDGE. The government should give him a job in urban management or something.

agreed.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-13-2004 11:59:30 AM
Hire him as a security guard at the bridge. He has to know all the hiding places by now.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Alaan
posted 12-13-2004 12:14:32 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when `Doc said this:
Hire him as a security guard at the bridge. He has to know all the hiding places by now.

They were kind of joking about whether to give him a medal or charge him with something on the talk radio I first heard it on.

Maradon!
posted 12-13-2004 12:17:48 PM
man that is pretty cool.

I want to live under a bridge now.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 12-13-2004 12:28:41 PM
trolls
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 12-13-2004 12:59:23 PM
Thats really impressive.
Alaan
posted 12-13-2004 01:02:19 PM
I want to know how he got the TV and the microwave up there without getting seen.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-13-2004 01:40:31 PM
quote:
Verily, Alaan doth proclaim:
I want to know how he got the TV and the microwave up there without getting seen.

It's likely that he was seen, but the people either didn't realize what they were seeing was something wrong, or they just didn't care.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 12-13-2004 04:30:00 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon's account was hax0red to write:
It's likely that he was seen, but the people either didn't realize what they were seeing was something wrong, or they just didn't care.

Yeah. Ever realize that sometimes when you are on a commute, you just sorta gloss over a lot?

And then you get to where you are going, and just wonder at some of the weird ass shit you saw on the way?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 12-13-2004 04:31:38 PM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Captain Planet:
Yeah. Ever realize that sometimes when you are on a commute, you just sorta gloss over a lot?

And then you get to where you are going, and just wonder at some of the weird ass shit you saw on the way?

Most of the time, it's "I can't remember driving that. But I'm here, so I must have."

Lokii
Pancake
posted 12-13-2004 04:52:07 PM
This man is my hero. ;_;
Maradon!
posted 12-13-2004 04:55:01 PM
Kinda sad too.

"Ok grampy, take your TV and microwave out of your comfortable home and go live on the street again."

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-13-2004 04:58:23 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Liam!
trolls

If the man was truely brilliant he would have kept a goat skeleton or two in his home as a joke should anyone find it.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-13-2004 05:56:03 PM
quote:
Liam had this to say about Optimus Prime:
trolls

damn hummies are talking our jerbs!

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 12-13-2004 08:52:28 PM
I want to hang out with that guy.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 12-13-2004 09:52:45 PM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:
Kinda sad too.

"Ok grampy, take your TV and microwave out of your comfortable home and go live on the street again."

Agreed.

Getting flashbacks to some Gibson books I've read.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-13-2004 10:15:14 PM
Yeah he should ply this into a real job somewhere. That's pretty cool.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: