EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: OK, so, yeah.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 12-09-2004 01:49:21 PM
I spent my $500 clams on a new chip (3.0 Intel P4), mobo (Intel PERLL), RAM (2x512 PC3200), and case (Raidmax with three fans and a 420W PS). Everything else in my old system I am keeping because it's more or less state of the art (video card will need an upgrade but I am holding out a bit longer).

(If you're dying to know here's what I am getting -- case, memory, mobo, and processor.)

Everything should be arriving on Monday or Tuesday (my big online poker nights, but what are you gonna do). I plan to put them together when they arrive. I have not constructed a system since 1994 or so (although I have added numerous componenets over the years, especially in my 2001 Dell I am replacing).

Are there any big issues I should be preparing for in the installation process that won't be intuitive or printed in the instructions that will come with the components? Since I won't be overclocking, will the standard heatsink/fan plus the three fans in the case be sufficient for cooling? Are there any tools I should have other than a screwdriver that I might not anticipate needing?

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-09-2004 01:52:12 PM
Not bad for $500, not bad at all.

The retail fan will be perfectly fine as long as you don't overclock.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-09-2004 01:58:03 PM
quote:
Mortious got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
The retail fan will be perfectly fine as long as you don't even if you overclock.

The OEM intel cooler is pretty good. If you don't go more than .250 over stock voltage you'll be fine.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 12-09-2004 02:09:14 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Cuba:
The OEM intel cooler is pretty good. If you don't go more than .250 over stock voltage you'll be fine.

I wouldn't even know how to overclock, so that won't be an issue I don't think.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Blindy.
posted 12-09-2004 02:14:10 PM
quote:
Gydyon attempted to be funny by writing:
I wouldn't even know how to overclock, so that won't be an issue I don't think.

Hit F2 or DEL on startup, whatever goes into bios, go to "Frequency/Voltage Control" set your AGP/PCI Bus to 100/66/33, then change your front side bus to higher than stock.

Voila.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-09-2004 02:14:47 PM
You spent your $500 clams!? But those were collector's clams!
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Gydyon
posted 12-09-2004 02:15:21 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Karnaj wrote:
You spent your $500 clams!? But those were collector's clams!

They were starting to smell funny.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-09-2004 02:16:46 PM
quote:
The propaganda machine of Gydyon's junta released this statement:
They were starting to smell funny.

That's the smell of collectability!

And rotten clam insides, but mainly collectability!

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Gydyon
posted 12-09-2004 02:17:36 PM
quote:
Karnaj said this about your mom:
That's the smell of collectability!

And rotten clam insides, but mainly collectability!

Don't worry, I kept two. One is in your sock drawer!

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Burger
BANNED!
posted 12-09-2004 04:55:21 PM
since you're going to a new motherboard and such, you'll probably have to do an O/S re-install. Even if it does work, it'll be much more stable and quicker after a fresh windows install. So back up your files before you tinker with it, then start fresh after you get the hardware put together.
Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Gydyon
posted 12-09-2004 05:09:42 PM
quote:
So quoth Burger:
since you're going to a new motherboard and such, you'll probably have to do an O/S re-install. Even if it does work, it'll be much more stable and quicker after a fresh windows install. So back up your files before you tinker with it, then start fresh after you get the hardware put together.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Really? That's a gonna suck. All of my source files, games, etc. etc. etc. are in various places in various boxes in my house. I was hoping to avoid such pain.

Can I do a fresh install without losing everything on my drive? See how dumb I am?

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 12-09-2004 05:13:16 PM
quote:
Gydyon had this to say about Duck Tales:
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Really? That's a gonna suck. All of my source files, games, etc. etc. etc. are in various places in various boxes in my house. I was hoping to avoid such pain.

Can I do a fresh install without losing everything on my drive? See how dumb I am?

You can indeed. It's called windows repair, but it's really just a reinstall. All you lose is the service packs/updates you've put on since install.

Assuming Win XP.

Waisz fucked around with this message on 12-09-2004 at 05:13 PM.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 12-09-2004 05:32:40 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Burger said:

Strange, I've taken a hard drive with WinXP and put it in a completely new box on several occasions without having to reinstall. Sure, I had to re-register with Microsoft but it didn't change any of the data on the drive.

That said, making a backup before you tear up your PC is a really good idea; just don't worry too much about having to reinstall everything.

Maradon!
posted 12-09-2004 06:58:43 PM
quote:
Blindy. thought about the meaning of life:

1) OEM Intel processors don't come with a fan

2) If you get a retail boxed Intel processor and use a different fan from the one boxed with it, you technically void the warranty, however you can just bullshit tell them you were using the original fan. In-warranty exchanges for retail boxed Intel processors MUST include the original fan.

Blindy.
posted 12-09-2004 07:06:29 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
1) OEM Intel processors don't come with a fan

2) If you get a retail boxed Intel processor and use a different fan from the one boxed with it, you technically void the warranty, however you can just bullshit tell them you were using the original fan. In-warranty exchanges for retail boxed Intel processors MUST include the original fan.

well it's a good thing he got a retail box then isn't it?

Gydyon
posted 12-14-2004 11:18:54 AM
Thanks for all the help. Put the system together last night and I did have to do a fresh Windows install, but it went fairly smoothly. Some of my compenents aren't getting plugged and played (in favor of "Legacy" drivers and the like), but I think that's fixable by fiddling around with the settings. I just hate those yellow question marks in Device Manager even if everything seems to work.

40 degress in the processor area, 27-35 elsewhere on the board. Not bad considering the computer is under a desk near a radiator. Plus the board came with the Norton Security Suite, which is pretty cool. And it's much faster and everything is running much smoother.

Just a matter now of re-installing my core programs, and I have most of those.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: