EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Car shopping!
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 11-22-2004 09:49:17 AM
So I am now in the market to get my hands on my own transportation. I have limited funds, so a used car is what I am aiming for.

Actually.. I've got one picked out. A 1999 Kia Sportage.

Anyone have any opinions on them? ANd don't say "They sux". I want factual proof of it, if it is true.

Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 11-22-2004 10:19:40 AM
Resell value down the road will be slim to slimmer.

I guess it is better then a Daewoo.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 11-22-2004 10:43:57 AM
Amazing what pops up on Google . . .

Let the experts tell you about the car

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-22-2004 11:17:07 AM
Kia can be good or bad. If you pick up a good one it's like a honda but cheaper (and with no resale value) if you pick up a bad one, you're going to be doing all kinds of repairs to it, and you will not save money in the long run.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-22-2004 11:54:16 AM
My toyota treats me good. They never die.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-22-2004 12:26:42 PM
Jaja needs a clown car. Or one of those three wheeled car things that Cousin It drives. That would rock for Jaja.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 11-22-2004 01:17:59 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress's account was hax0red to write:
Amazing what pops up on Google . . .

Let the experts tell you about the car

Yes, I've been going through those this past weekend. Problem is, the one I am looking at isn't that lil 2 door sporty thing. It's a 4 door. *keeps looking*

Alaan
posted 11-22-2004 02:17:17 PM
quote:
Jajahotep had this to say about (_|_):
Yes, I've been going through those this past weekend. Problem is, the one I am looking at isn't that lil 2 door sporty thing. It's a 4 door. *keeps looking*

I've personally heard nothing but bad about Kia. And my dad is an auto teacher, and our neighbor owns three repair shops.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 11-22-2004 02:21:16 PM
Consumer Reports usually has helpful auto reviews.

[edit] Bah, you have to be a subscriber. My dad gets them in paperback, but we don't keep them very long once we're done reading them. Check your local library for back issues of the annual auto review.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 11-22-2004 at 02:22 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 11-22-2004 02:45:13 PM
http://www.jdpower.com/index.asp

JD Power has great reviews, all done by people who have owned the cars. Free service.

Reynar fucked around with this message on 11-22-2004 at 02:45 PM.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-22-2004 02:50:10 PM
www.edmunds.com
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 11-22-2004 03:00:07 PM

or

for Jaja.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 11-22-2004 03:02:20 PM
LOL

On a serious note, I love my Neon.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 11-22-2004 03:28:16 PM
quote:
Jajahotep spewed forth this undeniable truth:
So I am now in the market to get my hands on my own transportation. I have limited funds, so a used car is what I am aiming for.

Actually.. I've got one picked out. A 1999 Kia Sportage.

Anyone have any opinions on them? ANd don't say "They sux". I want factual proof of it, if it is true.

since i drive one, the 1999 and 2000 series are the worst kias ever made. It will cause trouble, and it will do weird things, like the spedomiter breaking 4500 miles into having it, BUT! I'm pretty sure since it is a 1999, your bumper to bumper warenty is 10 years, 100000 miles so more or less you'll get everything fixed for free. well that's what happend to me at least.
I've had pistons pop two times, the speedometer broke, Stalled randomly this summer, and doesn't drive well in winter *if you have the manual transmition*. but while has given me shit... it get's where you need to go, it has a great warenty, and very very low gas milage (I spend no more than 14 bucks when I fill up).

uhhh I love my kia, even though it's a piece of ass sometimes

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-22-2004 03:44:18 PM
If you're looking for a rugged vehicle, get a real truck, or an SUV based off a real truck, if you must. If it's five years old and has less than 80K miles on it, then odds are it wasn't used for work. All the important parts are heavy duty, anyway, so you can beat the shit out of it and will come back, grinning, for more. It's much like my relationship with Snoota; I always come back.

If, however, you're just looking for any car and this one has merely tickled your fancy, I'd suggest you look at sedans, instead. As money is an issue, you will, in general, be able to get a newer, better sedan for the same price as a an SUV, especially if you're looking at 4X4 models.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 11-22-2004 06:48:29 PM
NO CLOWN CARS DETH!

An SUV wasn't my original choice. I just came across it, and as Karnaj put it, it did tickle my fancy. I've listened to what everyone has said about them (both good and bad) and am going over it with my dad (he really likes the look of the Sportage and stuff).

But, checking out other vehicles is still an option so...

anyone care to reccomend some good sedans then?

I have to have a 4-door vehicle, preferably an automatic. I did have a Honda first off and I loved it (save for the constant oil leakages). I also had a Neon and had nothing but problems with it (my bil has it now and he still is having problems with it).

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 11-22-2004 09:12:26 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Jajahotep:
NO CLOWN CARS DETH!

Why not? it looks sporty! It looks like an SUV! It's got a "pointy thing" standard on all models!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: