EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: You call that a bomb?
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 11-08-2004 06:03:55 PM
THIS is a bomb.

quote:
Eglin Studying Massive 30,000-Pound Bomb
Bomb Would Be 40 Percent Bigger Than MOAB

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- The Air Force built a weapon so big it was nicknamed "Mother of All Bombs" on the eve of the war with Iraq, but MOAB would be dwarfed by a much larger munition now under study.

The proposed Massive Ordnance Penetrator, or MOP, would weigh 30,000 pounds, nearly 40 percent more than the 21,000 pound MOAB -- officially Massive Ordnance Air Blast -- that never saw combat.

"The reason it's heavier than MOAB is that it has to penetrate a target," said Fred Davis, technical director for assessment and demonstrations at the Air Force Research Laboratory's Munitions Directorate.

MOP would be designed to explode deep in the ground or inside a structure to destroy tunnels and bunkers or topple tall buildings.

MOAB, on the other hand, explodes just above the ground. It is a larger version of the BLU-84 "Daisy Cutter" that was used during the Vietnam War to blast out helicopter landing zones in jungle areas.

The 15,000-pound Daisy Cutter also was dropped during the 1991 Persian Gulf War to clear minefields and more recently to blast caves believed to be hiding terrorists in Afghanistan.

MOAB can be against similar targets and structures or vehicles susceptible to surface blast damage. Both also are seen as psychological weapons that can demoralize an enemy.

During the next 16 months the Munitions Directorate at this Florida Panhandle base will look at everything from MOP's shape to its guidance. The Pentagon's Defense Threat Reduction Agency is providing $500,000 in initial research money.

If the project gets beyond the initial research and development phase, MOP probably won't see its first armed drop until 2006 or later.

MOP would have inertial and satellite guidance, just like MOAB, but it would have a more slender shape so it could be dropped from high altitude by a B-52 or a B-2 stealth bomber.

The Daisy Cutter and MOAB are too bulky to be carried by sleek bombers and must be pushed out of the rear door of lower-flying and slower cargo planes.

I thought it was pretty nifty. Good alternative to nuclear busters too, considering the problems with those.

Either way, that is one huge bomb.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-08-2004 06:08:17 PM
I'm still looking forward to those ship-mounted railguns.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 11-08-2004 06:10:11 PM
Well.. I think it is cool they use the bombs in constructive ways as well. Need a mine field cleared? OK!

The Landing Zone thing is also cool

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-08-2004 06:21:53 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about dark elf butts:

As in.. Gauss-rifle like technology? (No explosive powder, just a bigass magnet propelling the round)

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 11-08-2004 06:41:25 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Captain Planet:
As in.. Gauss-rifle like technology? (No explosive powder, just a bigass magnet propelling the round)

Yeah the navy is taking about having them by 2015 or something.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Peter
Pancake
posted 11-08-2004 06:59:09 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Tron:

Err, That would be a Coil gun, a Rail-gun is diffrent.

The basic Rail run has two rails, one positive, and one Negtive, the metal slug sits between the two, to move the slug a High voltage Pulse is sent into rails, the slug not being fixed is moved down the rails due to EMF(Right hand Rule iffin I rember right). The thing is, most rails guns happen to invole enough Power that the slug is often turned into plasma, though I belive the Navy is pushing slugs thqat remain solid. Biggest issues with the guns are the forces pushing the Rails out wards during the shot, Power, and rail crosion/pitting. Honestly, I Am kinda wondering why The Navy even wants them, the days of Navy Big Guns are long gone.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 11-08-2004 07:15:04 PM
quote:
Peter had this to say about pies:

The basic Rail run has two rails, one positive, and one Negtive, the metal slug sits between the two, to move the slug a High voltage Pulse is sent into rails, the slug not being fixed is moved down the rails due to EMF(Right hand Rule iffin I rember right). The thing is, most rails guns happen to invole enough Power that the slug is often turned into plasma, though I belive the Navy is pushing slugs thqat remain solid. Biggest issues with the guns are the forces pushing the Rails out wards during the shot, Power, and rail crosion/pitting. Honestly, I Am kinda wondering why The Navy even wants them, the days of Navy Big Guns are long gone.

I disagree with you there to an extent. Right now anti ship missiles and Anti missile technology just about counter each other out. the current CWIS gattling weapons have a very high shoot down record. When you figure that a Carrier will have a ring of cruisers and Destroyers around it for protection then it becomes very hard to hit them. A rail Cannon Provides a shell that will hit the same place every time, can fire pretty much to the horizon and has one shot kill capabilities.

In addition think smaller. Anti Aircraft weapons, anti Missile weapons. Rail cannons provide a much better option for both of these.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 11-08-2004 07:23:23 PM
I can't help but wonder if with a dedicated computer program taking into account the effects of gravity and wind resistance, the railgun could be used to fire at targets beyond line of sight by arcing it around the curve of the Earth.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 11-08-2004 07:35:02 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop's fortune cookie read:

REPAIR THE RAIL GUN!!!

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-08-2004 09:05:01 PM
PopSci did a big thing a few months back. For electromagnetic accelerator weapons to work, they have to find a way to cut energy expenditures. The answer is Trimaran ships, which reduce power output by like 33%, which is right around how much of a ship's power it would take to fire one of those bad boys.

But yeah they are under development. First Trimaran ships are scheduled to launch by 2010, I read, and the Electromagnetic accelerator weapons would be part of the first major upgrade within five years of launch.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-08-2004 10:04:33 PM
Sister Ray is next.
Razor
posted 11-09-2004 12:35:39 AM
quote:
Peter was trying to sing "I'm a little tea pot" but poured out:

There's two type of rail cannon, then there's a coil type as a third
you presented the basic, the one being tested is another which is siilar, but the inner workings are very different than a coil type.

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Bacon369
Pancake
posted 11-09-2004 01:15:46 AM
quote:
This one time, at Vorago camp:
I can't help but wonder if with a dedicated computer program taking into account the effects of gravity and wind resistance, the railgun could be used to fire at targets beyond line of sight by arcing it around the curve of the Earth.

Fort Huachuca in AZ has been testing many types of these weapons for the past decade. Wind doesn't matter much when the round is burning its way through the atmosphere and for the curve of the earth, think of the shot like this /o\.
(the circle in the middle being the curve of the earth and the lines being the trajectory).
The Lawrence Livermore website is a really fun place to play in if you want more specific info.

"He who pays the piper calls the tune."
Demos
Pancake
posted 11-09-2004 01:18:08 AM
Well, I've been considering the Navy, but if they put in rail guns, thats gonna seal the deal.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-09-2004 08:00:43 AM
quote:
Verily, Mr. Gainsborough doth proclaim:
Sister Ray is next.

Metal Gear Rex.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: