EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Exercise advice
diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-08-2004 08:12:54 AM
I've got a few quick questions for you jocks out there.

- Is there any "proper" ratio for the amount of weight you can lift with your arms vs legs? I realize I was focusing way too much on my upper body and not enough on my lower body. At least I was spreading out my upper body workouts so I don't look like a freak who is only strong in certain muscle groups.

- How do you get "six pack" abs? Through a lot of crunches, certain types of weights that use your stomach, of a combination of both?

edit: My main goal is to bulk up. I've been doing that rather well, but I need to tone my stomach.

diadem fucked around with this message on 11-08-2004 at 08:14 AM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Maradon!
posted 11-08-2004 08:16:21 AM
Lift with your arms until you can drop a guy in one hit.
Nike
Pancake
posted 11-08-2004 08:23:31 AM
quote:
diadem's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

- How do you get "six pack" abs? Through a lot of crunches, certain types of weights that use your stomach, of a combination of both?

Well the look of a 6 pack is shown by your rectus abdominus, but there are 3 other abdominal muscles (external oblique, internal oblique, transverse abdominus). Your best bet is to do as many work outs that tone the stomach area. Just remember, even if your stomach isn't crunching or anything, doesn't mean you aren't working your abs. Long jumpers need amazing abs.

Anyhow, any ab work outs, like with a ball... side crunches... using that funky machine at the gym where you're on an incline and you use your ab muscles to lift you up ( i havent been to the gym in awhile to know the name :S)

Good luck! It's really great you're working all muscle groups equally. I know some guys who just work their biceps and not their triceps... and their always hunched over with a ridiculously large levator scapular muscle... its gross!

Winning IS everything
Bacon369
Pancake
posted 11-08-2004 10:59:01 AM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Duck Tales:

edit: My main goal is to bulk up. I've been doing that rather well, but I need to tone my stomach.

Side Cruches 4 the six-pack win. If you are strong enough, hold plate(s) to your chest and do sit-ups. Or do knee to chest lifts holding a dumb bell.

What kind of bulking are you doing? You could make the six-pack dream difficult because of your diet.

"He who pays the piper calls the tune."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-08-2004 12:20:19 PM
For the first question: no, there is no set ratio. But I always like laughing at the dudes with 40" biceps and stick legs. A properly proportioned physique isn't the only reason to work legs, though: your quads are some of the largest muscles in the body, and you'll gain huge metabolism increases by working them.

For the second question, working the muscles is only part of the secret to well-defined abs. Yes, you should work all of the muscles. . .but don't spend a huge amount of time--and for sure don't use weights--working side crunches unless you enjoy thickening your waist. Don't forget also to spend an equal amount of time working your lower back muscles to balance the stomach, or you'll have back problems. But, to achieve the six-pack look, you really need to focus on diet; having huge bulging muscles covered by a layer of fat does no good.

Spot-toning is a huge myth. If spot-toning worked, everyone who chewed gum would have a thin face. Sure, work on strengthening the muscles. But the only way to get the definition is to reduce the covering layer of fat, which means a strict diet and plenty of aerobic work along with the weights.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

CBTao
Pancake
posted 11-08-2004 03:20:59 PM
the ratio, if I remember it, is to be able to bench your own weight, and I -think- leg press double your weight, that may however be the standards of our football team when I played...
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-08-2004 03:24:03 PM
quote:
CBTao was listening to Cher while typing:
the ratio, if I remember it, is to be able to bench your own weight, and I -think- leg press double your weight, that may however be the standards of our football team when I played...

I've heard this ratio tossed around as well. It is currently what I am shooting for infact. Being a racquetball player though I am probably going to focus more on trying to get my legs up for the jumping and running and whatnot.

Steven Steve
posted 11-08-2004 06:26:56 PM
Bloodsage is right on both. There's no ratio for arm to leg strength, but legs really are more important than arms, so you should work them more. As for six pack abs, it's more important to lose fat than to gain muscle since there isn't much to gain around the abdominal area. Your best bet is to do some cardio/cutting training.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 11-08-2004 07:27:08 PM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I've got a few quick questions for you jocks out there.

- Is there any "proper" ratio for the amount of weight you can lift with your arms vs legs? I realize I was focusing way too much on my upper body and not enough on my lower body. At least I was spreading out my upper body workouts so I don't look like a freak who is only strong in certain muscle groups.

when you say "Arms" I imagine you mean Benching, if so, your weight should probably be your max, 80% of your max should be your regular repetition set (3 sets of 10). If you meant Curling (for the bicepts) then anywhere between 20 and 40 is good. (I do 30)

Leg-wise, you want to be Leg pressing about twice your weight. Squating just like bench-- Max should be your weight, 80% of max should be your repetion set.

I find that for the "6-pack abs" (which I have yet to get) Side crunches are very good. Also, if you have any sort of bar that is attached to a wall (like the kind you do pull ups with) then you can attempt to do curl ups with your abs by hanging over it-- I DONT SUGGEST THIS FOR SOMEONE JUST STARTING TO WEIGHT LIFT.

If you want more definition in your muscles, do 90% of whatever you max out at 2 sets of 8.

If you want to get larger muscles, I suggest doing Regular repition sets between 80 and 85% of your max.

These are the "standards" of my football team, The six pack thing is just something I picked up from the kids who were very concerned with getting laid. (You look very badass if you're holding a weight and doing the curl ups thing)

Manticore fucked around with this message on 11-08-2004 at 07:29 PM.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-09-2004 08:23:39 AM
Thanks. I’m not sure how much I can bench because I can’t get a spotter; I had a trainer, but none of my friends who are still in this state work out. That’s probably one of the reasons I feel like a skinny bitch; a lot of my friends weigh more than twice as much as I do.

As for the ratios I heard in this thread, I can already lat press my own weight (130lb), leg-lift (250lb) almost twice my own weight, and curl 25lbs, all in reps of 12, so I guess I’m on the right track. Still, when you only weigh 135lbs, lifting your own weight doesn’t count for much. Would it be realistic to shoot for lifting twice my own weight and leg pressing four times that, or is there a point where it gets much harder to improve vs. the work you put in? This is with going to the gym twice a week for an hour each visit.

Oh, another thing. For a lot of workouts, my arms or shoulder blades keep “cracking.” Like when you crack your knuckles, only for me it’s with the joints around whatever I’m working out with. Anyone know what could be the cause of this? It used to hurt when I started working out, but now it just feels weird so I ignore it. This isn't for every exercise, only some. For other exercises, it eventually goes away after a few weeks of working out on said areas.

What exactly are side crunches?

tl;dr: What are side crunches? Is it realistic to try to be able to lift twice your own weight or is there a point where your body doesn’t improve as much vs. the work you put in? Any idea why my joints keep cracking when I work out?

ps: As for the diet thing, as soon as I joined the gym, the first thing they had me work on was my diet. I went from mcdonlands or taco bell and ellios pizza to pasta, steak, eggs (whites only), and oatmeal. Instead of eating a random candy bar, I now down a protein drink. I'm also trying to work on balance as well (curling while standing on one leg, etc).

pps: I'll make sure I'll spend an equal amount of time working on my back as doing the crunches. I'd have no problem with a thicker waist, it's too damn skinny.

diadem fucked around with this message on 11-09-2004 at 08:33 AM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: