EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: My new computer :)
Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 10:12:52 AM
Since my old computer gave up the ghost unexpectedly, I'm purchasing a new system from Newegg. The parts are below (I'm only buying the parts I need, I'm scavenging the sound card and a couple other things from the current corpse). Comments and stuff are appreciated.

MB K8N NEO2 PLATINUM MSI
CABLE HD|COOLMAX SATA 24" 2H BLUE
VGA PNY|6800GT 256M VCG6800GAPB
POWER SP|480W(P4)W0013 (SL) TT RTL
CPU AMD 64 |3500+ ATHLON 939P 90 RT
2 x DDR DIMM 512MB|PC3200 PT CORSAIR RT
HD 250GB|HITC SATA 8MB 14R9464
DVD+/-RW 16X SONY DRU710A RTL
DVD|SAMSUNG 16X TS-H352A/WBGH

Aaron (the good one)
posted 11-06-2004 10:16:05 AM
Whatever you say Blindy
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 11-06-2004 10:16:39 AM
looks uber, How much was the whole thing?
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 10:20:11 AM
quote:
Delidgamond came out of the closet to say:
Whatever you say Blindy

No, I'm really asking for comments because my knowledge isn't all that up to date with the new hardware and stuff. I haven't put together a new computer since late 2001.

I've based these on what I've read is good, but I don't know if there's better or whatnot, or hell, if even all this stuff is compatible. For example: it appears the GeForce 6600 (which is the newer, cheaper, better price/performance one) only has a PCI-Express bus, but it doesn't appear that there are any Athlon64 mobos that have PCI-Express slots.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 11-06-2004 10:21:56 AM
quote:
Drysart is attacking the darkness!
MB K8N NEO2 PLATINUM MSI
NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!

Other than that, looks

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 11-06-2004 10:36:01 AM
I'd really change to a ASUS Motherboard not MSI.

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 10:59:57 AM
quote:
Holden came out of the closet to say:
I'd really change to a ASUS Motherboard not MSI.

Is this just vendor preference or is there a legit reason for it? Ars Technica recommended the MSI board.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 11-06-2004 11:11:04 AM
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Drysart stammered,
Is this just vendor preference or is there a legit reason for it? Ars Technica recommended the MSI board.
MSI boards have about the same reliability as a streetcorner whore taking an HIV test.

No offense intended to streetcorner whores or the whore population in general.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-06-2004 11:55:18 AM
I've really liked MSI boards...

From everything I've been told, MSI and Asus are the ONLY reliable brands for Motherboards. Asus tends to cost a little more from what I've seen.

I just ordered my new computer last week, because this one is growing a bit decrepit. Everything is broken in one way or another and has a quick fix applied to it

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Suddar
posted 11-06-2004 12:23:54 PM
I don't see what's wrong with MSI. I've had an MSI board for years and it works fine.

I'm really in no place to comment on computers though, because I haven't looked at hardware for years, either.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 11-06-2004 12:25:09 PM
*sniff* It's a thing of beauty.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Noxhil
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 12:25:59 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent `Doc said:
MSI boards have about the same reliability as a streetcorner whore taking an HIV test.

So they are very reliable?

I have an MSI board and it works fine. My last board was MSI and it worked fine too. Asus is the same thing for more, as far as I can tell.

Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 11-06-2004 12:44:01 PM
When I bought the AMD 64 3500+ CPU chip (Same as you) I was recommended by them to buy an ASUS Motherboard (So I bought a Asus A8V Deluxe).

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 02:12:56 PM
I've bought one MSI board and I've had nothing but troubles with that computer. I've switched out every component on it but the mobo and it still gives me crap, so I'm of the opinion it's the cause

HOWEVER, I had compusa run tests on it and they can find nothing wrong with it. So whether or not it truly is the cause is anyone's guess.

Feed my hungry soul.
Bacon369
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 03:02:11 PM
quote:
Drysart probably says this to all the girls:
Since my old computer gave up the ghost unexpectedly, I'm purchasing a new system from Newegg. The parts are below (I'm only buying the parts I need, I'm scavenging the sound card and a couple other things from the current corpse). Comments and stuff are appreciated.

MB K8N NEO2 PLATINUM MSI

Have you used SATA hardware before? If not, stick with the MSI, if so, get an Asus.

"He who pays the piper calls the tune."
Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 03:33:30 PM
quote:
Bacon369 came out of the closet to say:
Have you used SATA hardware before? If not, stick with the MSI, if so, get an Asus.

No. What's there's to "use" about it? It's just a different bus, isn't it? Like the difference between IDE and SCSI?

Mightion Defensor
posted 11-06-2004 03:36:42 PM
* insert stereotypical Mightion Brand Abit mobo/Intel chipset + CPU recommendation.
Error
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 03:40:42 PM
If you're going to use PCI express you need to have a certain type of power supply. One that has the PCIe adapters.
Bacon369
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 03:49:51 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Captain Planet:
No. What's there's to "use" about it? It's just a different bus, isn't it? Like the difference between IDE and SCSI?

Sort of. But they can be a real pain in the ass depending on what brand of HD you get and what brand of Mobo you use. Plus, if you are going to use it with windows that just adds more spice to the issue.
That Hitachi said it was boxed with the HD only. Make sure the website has proper drivers available. Seagate SATA drives are the most user freindly (they need nothting for windows to recognize them other than the proper Bios settings). Raid is also a really good way to go with the large drives and the amount of balls you would have backing them up. Just about all the new Asus boards have Raid 0 , 1 and 2 built on.

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-06-2004 04:00:17 PM
Drysart, with SATA, Windows doesn't have SATA drivers, so you have to install some drivers through DOS before you can actually have a HDD.

I don't like it, =/

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Tier
posted 11-06-2004 04:14:01 PM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

I could say the same about a lot of Asus boards. It all boils down to models, not vendors.

Bacon369
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 04:22:39 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Lashanna stammered:
Drysart, with SATA, Windows doesn't have SATA drivers, so you have to install some drivers through DOS before you can actually have a HDD.

I don't like it, =/

He won't have to worry about DOS. Assuming he is going with Windows, Drysart is also purchasing a 64bit processor. Durring the install of XP there is a point that it asks you to hit F6 for additional drivers.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 11-06-2004 04:23:48 PM
quote:
Lashanna was naked while typing this:

I don't like it, =/

This is incorrect.

Straight Windows XP/SP2 install with an ASUS K8N-E using a Seagate SATA drive.

Works just fine

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-06-2004 04:26:00 PM
You bought the video card just for the watch didn't you?
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 04:26:30 PM
I've got an IDE drive I can salvage from my existing system to use as a boot drive, if necessary.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 04:27:20 PM
quote:
Rodent King came out of the closet to say:
You bought the video card just for the watch didn't you?

How can you pass up a watch that comes with a free video card?

Alaan
posted 11-06-2004 04:30:14 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Drysart said:
How can you pass up a watch that comes with a free video card?

I did pass up on the beach towel I think it was when I got my processor and motherboard.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 04:46:26 PM
I'm actually going for the pen that comes with the memory. A pen is much more useful to me than a probably cheap plastic watch.
/dev/null
Pancake
posted 11-06-2004 04:54:38 PM
(1) SATA is basically the same as IDE, but without jumpertag. (you can have a master/slave SATA setup, but most things don't support it these days). SCSI is a different critter and will not be disucssed here.

(2) Windows XP SP1 or greater on install (I don't know about stock) will recognise a SATA HD on an Intel chipset motherboard just fine. I installed one yesterday, didn't have to change a thing.

(3) I've had issues with MSI in the past, I'd recommend ASUS over them personally.

(4) The SATA hard drive needs *NO* drivers. A SATA HD is a SATA HD. I wouldn't recommend Segate personally because their IDE drives have had a bad history, but most manufacturers seem to be using their SCSI based hardware in making SATA drives so it might be ok. I'd recomend Maxtor or Western Digital for the HD. It's all a question of if the OS will support the controller or not. That's where you run into issues.

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-08-2004 03:14:56 PM
Sorry to bump this from the bottom of page two.. but I was curious; WTF is "PCI-Express"? And why does alienware offer nothing BUT it in terms of graphics cards? I thought AGP was like, fast or something.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 11-08-2004 03:22:06 PM
Just get it together and join me in game dammit!!
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-08-2004 03:22:26 PM
PCI Express is basicly the next gen of AGP but they plan on using the divided channels for basicly everything in the future. Back in the day you had AGP then they went up to AGP 2x then 4 then what we were at before 8x. PCI Express is much the same way. Currently the extra bandwidth is pretty much wasted as it is once again twice as much bandwidth as AGP 8x. The current technology can't produce that much traffic so it is largly wasted and the reason is mostly to make your motherboard future proof for later graphics cards.

They are also going to start using parts of PCI Express bus to drive other add in slots but that phase of the expansion hasn't really kicked in yet so it is pretty much a moot point.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-08-2004 03:34:22 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I've got an IDE drive I can salvage from my existing system to use as a boot drive, if necessary.

It's the same process you need to undertake when installing windows to a RAID array that doesn't have it's drivers on the windows disk. It's not all that complicated. I don't know why people all fuss about it.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 11-08-2004 at 03:35 PM.

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 11-08-2004 03:54:11 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Punky Brewster:

MB K8N NEO2 PLATINUM MSI

Cpu Cooling? Go with The Zalman.

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Kamikaze Flying Squirrel
Pancake
posted 11-08-2004 03:59:49 PM
quote:
`Doc had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Depending on what you're expecting, that could be fairly reliable.

Last time I mixed letters with numbers I got indigestion.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-08-2004 08:26:25 PM
quote:
Delidgamond had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Whatever you say Blindy

COMEDY GOLD!

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 11-08-2004 11:36:05 PM
quote:
From the book of Naimah, chapter 3, verse 16:
PCI Express is basicly the next gen of AGP but they plan on using the divided channels for basicly everything in the future. Back in the day you had AGP then they went up to AGP 2x then 4 then what we were at before 8x. PCI Express is much the same way. Currently the extra bandwidth is pretty much wasted as it is once again twice as much bandwidth as AGP 8x. The current technology can't produce that much traffic so it is largly wasted and the reason is mostly to make your motherboard future proof for later graphics cards.

They are also going to start using parts of PCI Express bus to drive other add in slots but that phase of the expansion hasn't really kicked in yet so it is pretty much a moot point.

PCI-X has *dick* to do with AGP.

AGP was developed to give a dedicated bus to the video subsystem. That's all. They could have called it the IBBH (Insert Blue Balls Here) slot and it would have been the same.

PCI-X is the evolution of the PCI bus itself. These slots have been in servers for a few years now and are starting to be migrated into mainstream computing. The original PCI spec allowed for a 128 bit bus at 66mhz at max. Most PCI-X slots are 64 bit at 100 or 133mhz. If you check your motherboard you generally have 3 busses on the board. One is the AGP, one is the PCI bus associated to all on-board hardware (drive controllers, USB, PS/2, etc) and then one devoted to *ALL* the PCI slots in the PC. On your upper grade motherboards you have some of the slots on seperate busses (Maybe a 2 / 3 split for a 5 PCI board). For servers this was not sufficient and most of your Server grade boards carry a dedicated bus for 2 or 3 of the slots out of 5 or 6. I'm not sure how the plan to play this out for mainstream computing, but I'd expect the same from the upper grade board makers in due time.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: