EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Could anyone give me a list and estimate for building a decent desktop?
Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-05-2004 03:55:38 PM
I know what I want for some of the features, but no idea what all I'd need or what type of motherboard/RAM/HDDs/etc would be best. So, I'll list some things I'd like in it and if anyone could provide a list and estimate with links to whereever they used to build it, I would appreciate it greatly.

CPU: Athlon 64 3.0 ghz or as near as it presently avaible. Higher than 3.0 is good of course. (note: this can be an OEM, I won't need a heatsink with liquid cooling...I think)
RAM: At least a gig.
HDD: At least one 200 gig, preferably two.
Video: Radeon 9800 xt 256 meg
Audio: something that can put out 5.1 surround (Audigy of some sort?)
DVD/CD: Dual Layer DVD burner and some form of CD-ROM/CD-RW/CD-R drive
Case: Koolance

Also need a diskette drive and possibly a 250 meg zip drive, but I can figure those out for myself. If I missed anything or you have recommendations, please make them. I'm a know nothing when it comes to computer building.

Maho fucked around with this message on 11-05-2004 at 04:06 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-05-2004 04:54:42 PM
2 grand.
Demos
Pancake
posted 11-05-2004 04:57:51 PM
Forget a zip drive. USB thumbdrives are far better now - I don't even know if they still make/sell ZIP drives. You can get more storage in a smaller package without the need for a drive with the thumbdrive.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Alaan
posted 11-05-2004 05:03:28 PM
You would probably want more video card if you go with a pretty high end processor. I'm not that up with the new ones though.
Tatsukaze
wants Kloie's mom OH SO BAD
posted 11-05-2004 05:07:09 PM
Processor: Athlon 64 3200+ Retail, $204
Motherboard: AOpen AK86-L, $89
RAM:
Corsair ValueRAM PC3200 1GB Kit, $158.24
Hard Drive:
Maxtor 300GB SATA HD, $206
Video Card:
Albatron Geforce 6800GT, $389 (this is probably too much)
DVD Burner:
Sony DRU710A DVD Burner, $109
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: