EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hey there hi what's up
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 11-04-2004 08:19:04 AM
I am planning to upgrade my system soon. Dumb question -- will this Intel chip and this motherboard work together? Thanks.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Maradon!
posted 11-04-2004 08:21:07 AM
Yes, but PERL motherboards suck.

If you fill all their RAM slots, they lock up.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 11-04-2004 08:22:55 AM
quote:
Maradon! stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Yes, but PERL motherboards suck.

If you fill all their RAM slots, they lock up.

I will therefore accept suggestions for replacements! I need to buy a chip, motherboard, case, and 1 gig of memory for under $500. My current total with this motherboard is $425.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-04-2004 08:26:03 AM
From what I've heard, Asus motherboards are nice. I'm not too wise in the ways of pc building myself so I'm not sure how good my word is on this...but yeah...
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Bloodrose
Pancake
posted 11-04-2004 09:01:39 AM
I've been using Abit, Asus and Soyo boards with AMD processors pretty much exclusivly for the past few years with little to no problems.
~That which yields, is not always weak~
Maradon!
posted 11-04-2004 09:03:23 AM
This is the performance board my company uses. I've never had to RMA one in the time I've been here, and that puts it's reliability WAY above that of PERL boards, of which I've RMA'd six when we use about the same number of each.

Not too spensive at around $110, too.

Gydyon
posted 11-04-2004 10:44:38 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
This is the performance board my company uses. I've never had to RMA one in the time I've been here, and that puts it's reliability WAY above that of PERL boards, of which I've RMA'd six when we use about the same number of each.

What does socket 478 Intel mean? It says it can use that, but I don't know how that's different.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Maradon!
posted 11-04-2004 11:10:40 AM
quote:
Gydyon had this to say about Cuba:
What does socket 478 Intel mean? It says it can use that, but I don't know how that's different.

If you check out the back of the processor, there are a bunch of little pins.

If you count them, there will be 478, thus, it will require a socket with 478 holes. That socket...is Socket 478.

Some times processor manufacturers try to be fancy and name their sockets stupid names, like Socket 7 or Socket A.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 11-04-2004 01:24:38 PM
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Maradon! stammered,

My family has had only bad experiences with MSI motherboards. My brother had one die on him, which he replaced with an ASUS board. My dad had a shop custom build him a system. They put in an MSI board, which died on him after only 7 months. When he had the shop replace it under warranty, the new one arrived with dead USB ports. They changed it again for a different model MSI board, which died less than a year later.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 11-04-2004 02:24:29 PM
D865PERLL Motherboard... Filled all the ram slots with PC3200 RAM (total of 1.5gb worth)... No issues detected. Unfortunately I had to rip out half a gig and return it (it wasn't mine to keep) so all I can say is I've had no issues while watching anime, playing a few emulators, ripping a DVD (but not encoding it), playing RO and getting as far as login for EQ (I logged into FV for all of 2 minutes before I got bored and logged out).

I'm using the 2.8 version of that CPU. Prescott Core, 1mb L2 Cache.

Is there a BIOS update or something that may have needed to be applied, Maradon?

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: