EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Grade School cancels Halloween events so as not to offend Wiccans...
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 10-22-2004 01:13:49 PM
Omg, Witch constumes offend Wiccans! BAN, BAN I SAY!

quote:
Wiccans who have met with school officials have not asked for cancellation of Halloween events, she said. They are entitled to protection like other religions under district rules.

"But they do ... express displeasure with witches, with pointy noses and witches flying on broomsticks, and that offends them and we don't want to be offensive to anyone," she said.

Article

I can understand the "Interferes with instructional time since it is a distraction" argument (Although that is retarded as well, this has been traditional for years... It was such a great time to look forward too to have fun in school like that when I was a kid.. It's ONE FREAKING DAY! Let the kids have fun!) but the whole "Lets not offend the trendy religion!" is pure crap, again... Like an 8 yrd old is thinking about Wiccan's or anything like that. While we're at it, let's ban the Wizard of Oz from society so kids don't read it in school, ban it from school library's! Lets ban the Black Cauldron, or half a million other young reader books with such obviously offensive material..., or hell, just about anything else that could be potentially offensive to them.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-22-2004 01:15:07 PM
Our school isn't allowed to give out "F"s because the F for Failure is emotionally damaging to children. (I'm in a college.)

You get an E instead.

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 10-22-2004 at 01:15 PM.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 10-22-2004 01:16:18 PM
The pussification of America continues.
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-22-2004 01:17:11 PM
So it's been done how many years prior to this moment? I hear a cry for attention.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-22-2004 01:19:55 PM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Pesco scored a straight 1 with:
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-22-2004 01:22:02 PM
I've yet to meet a wiccan who is offended buy that.

Though it probaly is a lovely cover up for them just not wanting to hold the party because it takes from their academics....

Trillee fucked around with this message on 10-22-2004 at 01:27 PM.

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 10-22-2004 01:25:59 PM
Holloween is a Catholic holiday. It's All saints day.

TheOriginalZane fucked around with this message on 10-22-2004 at 01:26 PM.

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 10-22-2004 01:29:51 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Trillee:
I've yet to meet a wiccan who is offended buy that.

Though it probaly is a lovely cover up for them just not wanting to hold the party because it takes from their acedemics....

I've met quite a few actually. These are the same of course, who had the public rally and protest to ban "The Craft" when it premiered because it painted witches in a bad light. To those who truely believe and follow a Wiccan religion it's not really an issue. But like it or not, Wicca falls into the 'trendy' category and there are way to many who cry for attention to make any legitemate concerns seem serious. As in faux-Wiccans are as horribly annoying and outspoken (Yet refuse to admit they do so, because then they couldn't be 'different') as faux-Goths.

That is not an attack for those who truely believe and feel the way thier life choices dictate, as for one, if you did this wouldn't offend you in the first place... Witches costumes and all that. But as it is, there are too many wannabe's and it is too trendy at the moment that this is again, just more wanting recognition for making 'different' choices in life.

Of course my argument with this particular instance is more geared towards the retardation of the school, and not towards Wicca or Goths or whatever.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Bloodrose
Pancake
posted 10-22-2004 01:32:04 PM
Sad thing is. this actually was on a Pagan group on LiveJournal I belong to. Everyone on the list basically had the same reaction...."What?"
~That which yields, is not always weak~
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 10-22-2004 01:32:53 PM
quote:
TheOriginalZane stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

Halloween is a holiday for many religions, and has various different meanings. In fact to be really TECHNICAL, the real spirit of Halloween as we celebrate it here in America is based off of a Celtic Druids celebration, which Wicca is based off of, and a tiny bit of the Catholic Celebration.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 10-22-2004 01:33:26 PM
Just out of curiosity. but isnt Wicca more of a belief and way of life than it is a religion?

Or am I just confuzzled?

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-22-2004 01:35:11 PM
quote:
TheOriginalZane had this to say about Cuba:

Halloween is accually a prechristian Celtic/Norse/European haliday. It's traditional name is Samhain (pronounced SOW-en Don't ask me.. it's a celtic word )

It's basicaly the new year for the ancient celts. When the christianity came with the romans, the Church tried to abolish it. Found they couldn't so absorbed it into thier own. Thus All Saints Day.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 10-22-2004 01:35:56 PM
quote:
Azakias stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Just out of curiosity. but isnt Wicca more of a belief and way of life than it is a religion?

Or am I just confuzzled?

It is, or is supposed to be anyway, but again like faux-Goths the trendyness of it has skewed it's meaning and purpose.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-22-2004 01:36:50 PM
I call it by it's true name here in the US...

National Candy Day.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-22-2004 01:38:45 PM
quote:
This one time, at Faelynn LeAndris camp:
I've met quite a few actually. These are the same of course, who had the public rally and protest to ban "The Craft" when it premiered because it painted witches in a bad light. To those who truely believe and follow a Wiccan religion it's not really an issue. But like it or not, Wicca falls into the 'trendy' category and there are way to many who cry for attention to make any legitemate concerns seem serious. As in faux-Wiccans are as horribly annoying and outspoken (Yet refuse to admit they do so, because then they couldn't be 'different') as faux-Goths.

That is not an attack for those who truely believe and feel the way thier life choices dictate, as for one, if you did this wouldn't offend you in the first place... Witches costumes and all that. But as it is, there are too many wannabe's and it is too trendy at the moment that this is again, just more wanting recognition for making 'different' choices in life.

Of course my argument with this particular instance is more geared towards the retardation of the school, and not towards Wicca or Goths or whatever.

Ah, furtherproof that there are some in every crowd.

I'm all for banning the craft because I get sick of 12 year olds asking me "OH MY GAWD! Can you accually DO that stuff in that movie?? You know.. The Craft!?"

Yes, this has happened, yes it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

It's a good "cheesey entertainment" movie though.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 10-22-2004 01:44:22 PM
quote:
Trillee wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Ah, furtherproof that there are some in every crowd.

I'm all for banning the craft because I get sick of 12 year olds asking me "OH MY GAWD! Can you accually DO that stuff in that movie?? You know.. The Craft!?"

Thats a different argument entirely. You'd be surprised how many people still believe witches were burned at the stake during the witch hunts, and the faux-Wiccans (Or the ones who just don't have a clue anyway) argue against stuff like this all time because it makes a bad image for 'real' witches, and that it could lead to Witches being burned at the Stakes again... When there is no 'again' in the first place, since it never happened to begin with.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-22-2004 01:46:35 PM
(gods damned 10 minute rule..)

Zane.. accually All Saints Day is on Nov. 1st.

It was kinda the Catholic's answer to Samhain.

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 10-22-2004 01:46:36 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Faelynn LeAndris said:
Halloween is a holiday for many religions, and has various different meanings. In fact to be really TECHNICAL, the real spirit of Halloween as we celebrate it here in America is based off of a Celtic Druids celebration, which Wicca is based off of, and a tiny bit of the Catholic Celebration.

I know. Catholics made all saints day up in the early 1800.

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-22-2004 01:56:29 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Faelynn LeAndris!
Thats a different argument entirely. You'd be surprised how many people still believe witches were burned at the stake during the witch hunts, and the faux-Wiccans (Or the ones who just don't have a clue anyway) argue against stuff like this all time because it makes a bad image for 'real' witches, and that it could lead to Witches being burned at the Stakes again... When there is no 'again' in the first place, since it never happened to begin with.

Oh yeah, I know that's different. That's more of a personal view on the movie. heh

I guess I know more laid back wiccans, because none of them have a problem with how Halloween's celebrated here. Infact alot of them go along with it for the children. It's fun for them, and the kids.. so hey, why not.

And the burning at the stake thing depends on where you mean. In Salem, Mass. They were hung, or died in jail.. One man was crushed slowly under stones... Giles Corey was the poor man's name.

And all that started because of one girl's need for attention,(and she ended up in Bosten afterwards as a prostitute...)and they convenient slave who "practiced witchcraft".

I went to college near Salem, spent alot of time there. Learned alot of what happened.

(Ps, need coffee...)

Trillee fucked around with this message on 10-22-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 10-22-2004 02:05:46 PM
quote:
Trillee had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Oh yeah, I know that's different. That's more of a personal view on the movie. heh

I guess I know more laid back wiccans, because none of them have a problem with how Halloween's celebrated here. Infact alot of them go along with it for the children. It's fun for them, and the kids.. so hey, why not.

And the burning at the stake thing depends on where you mean. In Salem, Mass. They were hung, or drowned.. One man was crushed slowly under stones... Giles Corey was the poor man's name.

And all that started because of one girl's need for attention,(and she ended up in Bosten afterwards as a prostitute...)and they convenient slave who "practiced witchcraft".

I went to college near Salem, spent alot of time there. Learned alot of what happened.

Heretics/Heathens were burned, witch or otherwise, and only in Europe. It was also very very rare then, and over a very specific period of time mostly during the crusades and the 'cleansing'. Contrary to popular belief even Joan of Arc was not burned at the Stake for being a 'witch', she was burned for being possessed and demonic and hearing the devils voice (The official reason anyway, technically it was all political, but thats conspiracy theory, ).

There has really only ever been one "Witch Hunt" and that was in Salem yes, and no witch was ever burned at the stake, ever. Hung and all that yeah, which is just as bad, but that is never mentioned, it's always "Burned at the Stake" which never ever happened. It's because of people like that in these niche groups like Wicca, Goths, and others that the overall scale will always be knocked down... So in all honesty the wannabes who want the crys for attention don't even realize they are destroying thier own cause.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 10-22-2004 02:08:48 PM
I'm offended that we gat a christmas break, becuase it's from the Christian religion! I'm staying at school over the break as protest.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-22-2004 02:10:25 PM
quote:
Kinanik was listening to Cher while typing:
I'm offended that we gat a christmas break, becuase it's from the Christian religion! I'm staying at school over the break as protest.

Winter Break.

Easter = Spring Break
Columbus Day = Fall Break

Oh, and teachers aren't allowed to grade in red pen any more because the big red marks have been known to cause traumatic episodes in later years of childhood.

Mr. Gainsborough fucked around with this message on 10-22-2004 at 02:10 PM.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-22-2004 02:20:26 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris wrote this stupid crap:
Heretics/Heathens were burned, witch or otherwise, and only in Europe. It was also very very rare then, and over a very specific period of time mostly during the crusades and the 'cleansing'. Contrary to popular belief even Joan of Arc was not burned at the Stake for being a 'witch', she was burned for being possessed and demonic and hearing the devils voice (The official reason anyway, technically it was all political, but thats conspiracy theory, ).

There has really only ever been one "Witch Hunt" and that was in Salem yes, and no witch was ever burned at the stake, ever. Hung and all that yeah, which is just as bad, but that is never mentioned, it's always "Burned at the Stake" which never ever happened. It's because of people like that in these niche groups like Wicca, Goths, and others that the overall scale will always be knocked down... So in all honesty the wannabes who want the crys for attention don't even realize they are destroying thier own cause.

No witch was hung either, if you look at it like that As I said, Salem's "witch hunt" only came about because of one little girl's attention whoring. Alot of innocent people were hung, just like alot of innocent people were burned during the inquisition. You were guilty untill you were proven innocent, in which case... was *VERY* hard to do. If you had a mole, or a birthmark, or a pox mark, you were screwed. Hell these guys even burned cats because they were associated with witches (funny how the black plague kind of crept up on them after all the cats were burned...)

In accuallity, alot of "witters" or wise women, who knew how to heal with herbs and potions brewed from them were burned as well. Some still held to thier pagan beliefs, so they were seen as witches. Mass histeria to control the population is a wonderful thing to stay in power, and the pope at the time knew that. The girl who triggered the Salem witch trials knew that as well. As long as she and her friends kept pointing out "witches" they had the attention they wanted.

Addy
posted 10-22-2004 02:37:49 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by TheOriginalZane:

I thought All Saints Day was November 1st?

Think you have your holidays mixed up~

edit: Dammit Trillee! Stop being an overachiever and answering before me

Addy fucked around with this message on 10-22-2004 at 02:38 PM.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-22-2004 02:46:44 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Addy said this:

OMGS i got partly mixed up becuase I had *justed* crawled out of bed after 3 hours sleep! I corrected myself! I'm sorry!

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 10-22-2004 03:09:32 PM
quote:
So quoth Addy:

Ahhhh, I mean all souls day. it's the day before.

sorry

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-22-2004 03:49:45 PM
Don't worry, A Louisiana town wants to ban Halloween because it's un-Christian. So it balances out, you see.

In fact, the issue's coming up across the whole Bible belt this year. Again, balance.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-22-2004 03:55:43 PM
I think we need a national Doubleplusgood Day.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 10-22-2004 04:01:54 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Captain Planet:
Don't worry, A Louisiana town wants to ban Halloween because it's un-Christian. So it balances out, you see.

In fact, the issue's coming up across the whole Bible belt this year. Again, balance.

Thats just stupid as shit period...

IT'S ONE FREAKING DAY, THAT KIDS HAVE FUN ON!.... And has been the case for hundreds of years, why take it away from them?

Oh and Karnaj, I wasn't arguing for balance by the way... If they said it was banned because it was offensive to christians I would still call it a retarded decision. My point wasn't directed at Wiccans or anything, it was directed at stupid political correct, hippy ass, lameness ruining something that has been and should always been a FUN point in a childs life.

It does no harm, it does not in anyway influence an 8 year old who really, even in the bible belt or raised in a Wicca coven, wont have much concept of doing anything besides dressing up and having fun.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Ares
posted 10-22-2004 04:16:17 PM
quote:
Bloodsage thought about the meaning of life:
I think we need a national Doubleplusgood Day.

As much as I hated that book, this made me laugh. Because of the shear truth of it.

I remember when we wern't allowed to sing christmas carols in school because of all of the different religions... that went on for a few years, then they had a "holiday" celebration in which all of the major religions were represented.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 10-22-2004 04:18:54 PM
I recommend reading "The Devil In The Shape Of A Woman". It is a wonderful resource, it tells all about the Salem witch trials and it lists nearly all of the people that were listed as witches, and what happened to them.

I lent my copy out to a Wiccan friend, I don't know if I ever got it back.

I am not offended by witch costumes, I am not a Wiccan either, but I am respectful of their beliefs. I find that I am probably closer to their beliefs than any other. What I believe doesn't really matter here though.

I agree that there are some Wiccans and Goths that do it for the "cool factor".. however there are many that don't and I appreciate their point of views. I don't think any of my Wiccan friends are offended by the costumes, but then, they have never said they were. None of my Satanist friends are offended by devil costumes, so why should the Wiccans?

I feel that this is just a ploy as was mentioned earlier.. to rid the school of fun for the day so the kids have to concentrate on learning. I read an article today that said a school district in WA did just that.

No parties during school time for these kids.

I remember how much fun we had in school during Hallloween, we got to bring our costumes to school, and after lunch we got to dress up and do a parade. Then we had parties in the classrooms.

Then at night our school had a big party, with a haunted house and bobbing for apples. Different booths were set up, and we played carnival games and ate popcorn balls.

It was safe, it was fun, and it gave many sweet memories to me.

Gadani
U
posted 10-22-2004 04:25:44 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Pirotess:

quote:
"It's a day for the good Lord, not for the devil," said Barbara Braswell, who plans to send her 4-year-old granddaughter Maliyah out trick-or-treating in a princess costume on Saturday instead.

Halloween is the DEVIL! Don't celebrate it on Sunday! Celebrate Satan's day on SATURDAY so you can be forgiven on Sunday.

She's a wonderful christian.

I hate my state.

Maradon!
posted 10-22-2004 04:31:10 PM
quote:
TheOriginalZane had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Actually, All Saints Day is a catholic holiday. Halloween, on the other hand, is a strictly popular (usually agricultural) holiday that has it's roots in dozens of different germanic harvest-time holidays and is totally unrelated to All Saints Day.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-22-2004 at 04:31 PM.

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 10-22-2004 04:37:34 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough's account was hax0red to write:
Easter = Spring Break

No! St. Patrick's Day!!!

Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 10-22-2004 05:54:32 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Pesco said:
Ferrel!
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-22-2004 06:09:43 PM
quote:
Monica was listening to Cher while typing:
No! St. Patrick's Day!!!

Accually.. we had christmas vacation in Dec/Jan then winter break in Feb, then spring break in April.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-22-2004 06:33:26 PM
Let's all persecute some minorities.
Tareshinal
Pancake
posted 10-22-2004 06:45:54 PM
quote:
Gadani said this about your mom:
Halloween is the DEVIL! Don't celebrate it on Sunday! Celebrate Satan's day on SATURDAY so you can be forgiven on Sunday.

She's a wonderful christian.

I hate my state.

The main reason why they banned trick-or-treating on Sunday here is because there is school and work on Monday, and the adults here petitioned to have an ordinance put into effect to ban trick-or-treating on Sunday so they didn't have to stay up late on Sunday. In that meeting not one person mentioned it being against God to have Halloween on Sunday. So yea, sucks to live in your state I guess.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-22-2004 07:02:32 PM
quote:
Tareshinal had this to say about (_|_):
The main reason why they banned trick-or-treating on Sunday here is because there is school and work on Monday, and the adults here petitioned to have an ordinance put into effect to ban trick-or-treating on Sunday so they didn't have to stay up late on Sunday. In that meeting not one person mentioned it being against God to have Halloween on Sunday. So yea, sucks to live in your state I guess.

Then hold on Saturday? That's what we did in my home town.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-22-2004 07:10:30 PM
I miss the good old days... when people didn't care when a haliday fell on, and let the kids go all over the flippin place trick or treating... You just get together with your friends and go to town, literaly...
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: