EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Stupid RAM question
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 10-21-2004 05:31:52 PM
So I'm breaking down and switching my systems around to build 2 and hopefully resolve my issue with my front side bus.

I've got an ECS (yes, I know, not the best performer) nForce 2 mobo, that supports the 400mhz FSB and dual channel PC3200. I'm figuring on tossing in 2x512mb PC3200 sticks, but that'll be a while down the road, for the start I'll have to run it on 2x512 of PC2100. I havent cracked open my box to look at the documentation yet, but was wondering if it would be able to do dual channel with PC2100, or if I'll have to spread it out and keep to just the old school single mode.

Also, I'll fish for someone to look around for the best yet most affordable PC3200 512 sticks. And a good cooling solution for my slightly hot 3k+. I believe I'm running a Volcano 9 on it at the moment, huge as aluminum heatsink with an 80mm fan on top of it.

I think the reason my current ECS board (running on a VIA chipset) won't run my 3000+ at the 333 bus is because its one of the 400mhz bus versions. Would that sound plausable? It's running well, but a bit hot at 266mhz.

I just ordered my new case from newegg and while it looks like a transformer, it has a decent power supply that'll power my lesser system and I'll swap out my better 510watter to power the case.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-21-2004 05:53:57 PM
Dual channel is a motherboard thing, not a RAM thing. The DDR sticks haven't changed any so it doesn't matter if you run them in a Single Channel setup, or Dual Channel.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 10-22-2004 03:22:48 AM
You can dual channel with PC2100, but it can cause stability problems depending on what brand and whatnot it is as the nForce chipset can be pretty picky about RAM.

Taeldian fucked around with this message on 10-22-2004 at 03:23 AM.

Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 10-22-2004 07:38:26 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Dual channel is a motherboard thing, not a RAM thing. The DDR sticks haven't changed any so it doesn't matter if you run them in a Single Channel setup, or Dual Channel.

Interesting. I've seen pairs of sticks sold together as a "dual channel" combo. Is there any benefit to those or is that just marketing shenanigans?

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-22-2004 07:56:13 PM
quote:
Iulius Czar had this to say about John Romero:
Interesting. I've seen pairs of sticks sold together as a "dual channel" combo. Is there any benefit to those or is that just marketing shenanigans?

It's a matched set which is optimal for doing Dual Channel.

Technically you can dual channel PC2100 with PC2700, but it's unstable and could cause problems. Buying the ram in pairs like that usually indicates that they're from the same batch and they should be 100% identical (with obvious small margin of error, etc, etc). There's (arguably) less chance for those 2 sticks to give you problems than there would be if you just bought 2 matched sticks of RAM... Mostly though, it's a marketing thing.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: