EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Mech games.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 10-14-2004 01:24:42 AM
BFR's (Mechs) are coming to Planetside soon. Probably either the end of this week, or the beginning of next week. This has put me in the mood to play Mech games!

Now, my absolute, all-time favorite mech game, is Mechwarrior 3 I loved playing that game. Loved salvaging parts and mechs from defeated enemies, customising my mech the way I want it (I don't fucking care what anyone says, if I want a LRM 10 on my head, then I should be able to get one), and the engine (game engine) kicked ass as well

It's horribly outdated now, but yesterday I tried a game and still had a fucking blast. Unfortunately, the game has serious issues with WinXP, and as such, I couldn't continue past the first operation (Set of missions).

So, I wish to know what other great giant mech games there are out for PC

And please don't suggest Mechwarrior 4. I hate that game. They dummied down the mech customisation way too much - MW3 had it PERFECT.

Maradon!
posted 10-14-2004 01:29:51 AM
quote:
Khyron wrote this stupid crap:
And please don't suggest Mechwarrior 4. I hate that game. They dummied down the mech customisation way too much - MW3 had it PERFECT.

Actually they made it make sense, whereas in mechwarrior 3 you could shoot lasers out of your missile bays.

Sadly, Mech games, like the coveted space sim, seem to have gone out of style

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-14-2004 at 01:32 AM.

Khyron
posted 10-14-2004 01:42:04 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Actually they made it make sense, whereas in mechwarrior 3 you could shoot lasers out of your missile bays.

Sadly, Mech games, like the coveted space sim, seem to have gone out of style

If I don't want to put missiles in my missile bays, and shove a laser in there instead, sure it may look a little weird, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work!

I can understand why they wanted to do it - to force people into putting a certain weapon in a certain slot. I just prefer to do it my own way instead. Besides, I hate how you can't even modify things like whether or not your Mech has Endo-steel or standard internal structures, or you can't change the engine in your mech. Gimme Mechwarrior 3's customization system over Mechwarrior 4 any day.

Also, if anyone knows how to get Mechwarrior 3 to load Operation 2 Mission 1 without crashing (Using Windows XP), I'd be eternally grateful I've tried everything, running it unpatched, running it patched, modifying every setting I can find, running it in both 95 and 98/ME compatibility mode (It won't work at all in 2k or NT or without compatibility mode).

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-14-2004 01:50:54 AM
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, still the best of all MW games.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mod
Pancake
posted 10-14-2004 01:54:08 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Khyron:
If I don't want to put missiles in my missile bays, and shove a laser in there instead, sure it may look a little weird, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work!

I can understand why they wanted to do it - to force people into putting a certain weapon in a certain slot. I just prefer to do it my own way instead. Besides, I hate how you can't even modify things like whether or not your Mech has Endo-steel or standard internal structures, or you can't change the engine in your mech. Gimme Mechwarrior 3's customization system over Mechwarrior 4 any day.

Also, if anyone knows how to get Mechwarrior 3 to load Operation 2 Mission 1 without crashing (Using Windows XP), I'd be eternally grateful I've tried everything, running it unpatched, running it patched, modifying every setting I can find, running it in both 95 and 98/ME compatibility mode (It won't work at all in 2k or NT or without compatibility mode).

I never had issues making whatever configuration I wanted, I just had to pick an appropriate chassis. MW3 was fun but somewhat easy in that regard imo, the best config for playing the computer in almost any mission was the heaviest mech you can find filled to the brim with continous lasers and heatsinks, throw everything into a single group and aim for a leg, leg shots especially made the game broken, you can burn through the leg of an equal enemy in about 1/10ths of the time it would take for him to burn though your front armor.

Try downloading a mission 1 act 2 savegame from a cheat site or editing your current one with a hex editor.

Mod fucked around with this message on 10-14-2004 at 01:54 AM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Khyron
posted 10-14-2004 01:54:26 AM
quote:
Tarquinn impressed everyone with:

I haven't played MW2 for so long, I honestly can't remember much about it.

I just remember how much fun I have in Mechwarrior 3

If I recall correctly, though... MW2 didn't have the ability to wade into water to help reduce heat, did it? I love that ability in MW3...

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-14-2004 03:28:28 AM
Hmm, good question.

It had water, there was a big pond in some city mission... But did it help to dissipate heat? Can't remember.

But it had some awesome missions in open space. Well, on some asteroid you had to protect. Heat wasn't a big problem there.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 10-14-2004 05:52:57 AM
quote:
Tarquinn was naked while typing this:
Hmm, good question.

It had water, there was a big pond in some city mission... But did it help to dissipate heat? Can't remember.

But it had some awesome missions in open space. Well, on some asteroid you had to protect. Heat wasn't a big problem there.

Whenever I think of MW2:Mercs that is the mission I think of. You had to guard a giant block of ice being towed from one planet to a desert planet because of a lack of water. Aerofighters everywhere, mechs trying to blast the tow cables away, oh I loved the chaos in that mission.

Naj
I asked for a title and didn't get banned!
posted 10-14-2004 07:55:30 AM
You can just go to the test server Khy, BFRs are active on it.

They come out on the 18th with the event happening that day.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 10-14-2004 09:14:04 AM
Buy Steel Batallion, it only costs two XBoxes.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Maradon!
posted 10-14-2004 09:29:19 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Khyron wrote:
I can understand why they wanted to do it - to force people into putting a certain weapon in a certain slot.

Also to make one chassis actually different from another. What's the difference between two different model 50 ton chassises in MW3? The default loadout. That's it.

Caanis Lupus
Rub me?
posted 10-14-2004 10:51:14 AM
quote:
Maradon!'s account was hax0red to write:
Also to make one chassis actually different from another. What's the difference between two different model 50 ton chassises in MW3? The default loadout. That's it.

Exactly. Sure you can't make your leg capping config in your favorite frame but it made sense. That also gave the onmi mechs something over the other mechs, finally. MW3 was fun but the configs were broken.

Khyron
posted 10-14-2004 11:31:53 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Naj:
You can just go to the test server Khy, BFRs are active on it.

They come out on the 18th with the event happening that day.

Naj, ask yourself this, how often is the damn test server ever up?

I have my BFR cert on test, I'm all ready and waiting to hop in that goliath and start stepping on uglies, but every time I load up the TC patcher and try to log on, it says that staging is locked and test is down.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 10-14-2004 12:54:37 PM
Planetside BFR's are kinda gimpy, by mech standards.

One guy with a jammer playing hide-and-go-seek and you're fucked.

Naj
I asked for a title and didn't get banned!
posted 10-14-2004 01:10:29 PM
I don't know how often the test server is up honestly, only went there once after reading how they were supposidly so overpowered, were going to make other vehicles useless etc.

I went out with a JH and a Punisher with AP ammo + jammer nades and I was doing really well just getting right up next to them.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-14-2004 01:17:57 PM
Steel Battalion is mega-awesome! Don't buy the shitacular expansion, though. It's xboxlive only.

But I assume you're asking about PC games, which their are decidedly few.

Khyron
posted 10-14-2004 01:22:14 PM
quote:
Bajah got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Steel Battalion is mega-awesome! Don't buy the shitacular expansion, though. It's xboxlive only.

But I assume you're asking about PC games, which their are decidedly few.

Well, to play Steel Battalion, I'd need to buy an X-Box, buy the game, and buy the controller.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-14-2004 01:37:41 PM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Khyron scored a straight 1 with:
Well, to play Steel Battalion, I'd need to buy an X-Box, buy the game, and buy the controller.

People who still don't own an xbox are getting obsolete.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-14-2004 01:38:37 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Bajah wrote:
People who still don't own an xbox are getting obsolete.

Sorry, baj. I just can't fit the thing in my room.

Doesn't help that there are exactly 0 games I am interested in playing on Xbox, either.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-14-2004 01:41:47 PM
quote:
Khyron was listening to Cher while typing:

The game and controller come together.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-14-2004 01:44:40 PM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Delphi Aegis scored a straight 1 with:

Sorry, baj. I just can't fit the thing in my room.

Doesn't help that there are exactly 0 games I am interested in playing on Xbox, either.

Whoa, a joke about the size of the xbox! Wow! How creative and new!

Most of the same games you'll find on PS2 or GC are on Xbox, but with more/better features... and there's a lot of good games that're XBox only - like Fable, Steel Batallion, Crimson Skies, etc.

Khyron
posted 10-14-2004 01:53:49 PM
Fable sounds decent. Crimson Skies is just a pale comparison to its PC counterpart (I've tried it). The controller for the X-Box blows. Playing a FPS game on a console sucks soooooooooooo badly - Halo and Halo 2 don't count.

Lesse... what other games are X-Box only?

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 10-14-2004 06:41:28 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Khyron!
Lesse... what other games are X-Box only?

Ninja Gaiden, right off the top of my head.
It has a Panzer Dragoon game which is pretty damn awesome (but short).
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 10-14-2004 07:07:59 PM
Armor Core/Armor Core2 were awesome games.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 10-14-2004 07:09:35 PM
You can get Steel Battalion with controller on eBay now for $75-100.

Waisz fucked around with this message on 10-14-2004 at 07:10 PM.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-14-2004 07:55:13 PM
Ninja Gaiden is awsomesauce.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Peter
Pancake
posted 10-14-2004 08:24:26 PM
Mechwarrior 4 Mercs was pretty good, at least the Solaris matches were pretty fun.
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 10-14-2004 08:25:15 PM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Cuba:
Mechwarrior 4 Mercs was pretty good, at least the Solaris matches were pretty fun.

MW4 Mercs is the greatest game since MW2 Mercs.

Ragabash
Pancake
posted 10-14-2004 11:13:46 PM
quote:
Fizodeth wrote this stupid crap:
MW4 Mercs is the greatest game since MW2 Mercs.

I concur.

And Khy, while I share your enthusiasm for mech games, sadly there just aren't many out there anymore You could always try the mech commander games, though they aren't really what you're referring too.

MW2 Mercs has the customization that you want in that you can put anything anywhere (Laser Legs!) but it won't work on XP (Except maybe in compatability mode...haven't tried that yet) MW4 Mercs does that game great justice, but it has the Mech4 customization you apparently don't like. And I do mean Mech4 Mercs, not the expansion for Mech 4 called Black Knight, which supposedly put you in command of a merc outfit, but you were still stuck in the campaign they chose for you.

Someone mentioned Armored core. While being a console (only?) game, they weren't really any fun for me, despite being a mech game player. It's hard to say why, especially since it's been a while since last I tried them.

Mech Assault, Xbox only, was fun, but it wasn't the same feel as your normal mech game.

Mech Commander 1 and 2 were rts like games, no resource building during the mission, you had to complete the missions with the mechs you choose before the it started. Had pilot experience and a purchase system similar to mech4.

Then there was the Heavy Gear (series?). Fairly old by now, but if I remember correctly I think Nem X liked them. If it wasn't him, someone on here did. I played half of the first (maybe only) one, and enjoyed it. Didn't finish because I got distracted by newer games and never got back to it.

Can't think of any others at the moment.

edit: fixed something

Ragabash fucked around with this message on 10-14-2004 at 11:15 PM.

Feed my hungry soul.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-14-2004 11:53:22 PM
If it's just about giant robots, you could go for the anime-influenced Zone of the Enders 1 and 2. I still have a blast playing it from time to time. If you want vintage, you could try Starsiege, it's a lot like a slighty crappier version of Mechwarrior, but still has a lot of what you seem to like from Mechwarrior games. Armored Core games are certainly fun too, kind of like the Tribes of mech games. (Same stuff, just add jet packs)
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-14-2004 11:58:28 PM
Mechassult is a 3rd person shooter and you happen to play as a mech.

The only mech thing about it was that your primary enemy was mechs and you could choose various mechs to play as.

Multiplayer rules.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 10-15-2004 05:54:31 PM
Yeah, ZoE and ZoE2 are awesome, but hard
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Maradon!
posted 10-15-2004 06:19:02 PM
quote:
OtakuPenguin had this to say about dark elf butts:
Yeah, ZoE and ZoE2 are awesome, but hard

ZoE was short enough to be a demo. A short demo. ZoE 2 was fun, but it quickly got monotonous.

Neither are mech sims, they're both more action games.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-16-2004 01:58:11 PM
quote:
Tarquinn thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Yaes!

I didn't much like Mech3, but it was playable. . .it just lacked story. Mech4's voice acting was so bad I had to kill it after only a mission or two.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: