EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Gains' 2 For 1 Reviews! (W-Wish and Final Approach)
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-12-2004 11:50:07 PM
Yes, it's that time again. Gains got bored and watched another couple of anime 1st episodes. But, what's this? Two of them?! Yes! I found two animes to watch and both of them happened to be half the normal length (~12 minutes). Therefore, I decided to make one thread for them.

The first anime I watched was called "Final Approach".

This seemed like the beginning of a very amusing series. The episode started off with a pair of siblings just hanging out in one of their rooms, when all of a sudden a bunch of crazy FBI agent come crashing in from ropes on helicopters. The siblings (Ryo and Akane) are both obviously freaked out by this. The FBI-ish dudes are followed by a cute girl in a kimono around their ages (~15-17 ish). Her name is Shizuka. She claims to be Ryo's fiancé.

Ryo obviously is confused at this and flips out at her. She waits for him to be distracted by the scared Akane, then puts a pair of bunny ears on his head that will explode if he takes them off. This gives her time to explain herself and what is going on. At command of Shizuka, the FBI guys run around the room and fix everything from when they crashed in, and set up a TV projector dealie.

The presentation that she gives talks about how there is an increasing lack of childbirths and that there is to be a ton of arranged marriages set up by the government. Apparantly, Ryo has been chosen to initiate a test of how this will work. He was chosen by a computer as the perfect match for Shizuka and they are to test it because it is a risky plan to be putting on a national level.

Ryo still isn't going for it after tons of pleading from Shizuka, so he tries to get Akane to call the police. The police don't respond because they are in cahoots with this whole plan. He finally agrees to it and the FBI guys leave. Ryo then attempts to remove Shizuka by force, but apparantly she knows kung-fu and knocks him unconscious.

I really enjoyed the start of this anime because, albeit a kind of cliché plot, it has really cute art and seemingly fun characters. So far so good, and it's only half a normal episode long, so it's not as big of a loss of time if you don't like it.

The second anime I watched was called "W-Wish (Double Wish)"

Two things I want to note before I start talking about this anime. Really awesome school uniforms and a neat opening theme. I really love the elegance of this anime so far, and the opening theme is very unique IMO. Really cool sounding indeed. And with that, on with the 1st episode.

It starts out in a classroom with the teacher ending class by announcing that the School Festival is coming up. Everybody seems to be happy and talkative about this as they leave the classroom. In the door of the class as people are leaving is Senna, who is waiting for her twin brother Junna to get out of the room. They start talking about the School Festival. Junna seems to not want to do it as it is the same as every year, but Senna says that he should be happy because it will allow them to have more happy memories together. After being interrupted by their friend who creeps Junna out by glomping all over his arm, they are told to come to the office over the P.A.

In the office, Junna's teacher talks to the twins about a possible new living arrangement. It flashes back to the scene of a car accident in the woods where Junna is left looking onto the wreckage with no one around him. The teacher then asks him if he can remember anything before the car wreck and the answer is no. The teacher goes on to say that the two are "of age" and that living alone together will cause problems for them. She suggests Junna moving into a student dorm, and he gets all pissed off about it saying how Senna is the only family that he has and that he won't leave her to support herself. Surprisingly, the teacher doesn't say anything to oppose this decision he made.

Senna and Junna leave the school to talk outside at the park outside the building. Senna talks about how she wants Junna to have memories of spending the day at the Festival with her even if he can't get his other memories back. They both walk off talking to each other and the episode ends.

This anime seems really really incesty, but I highly doubt that is like that. It seems way too cute in style and plot to be anything that dirty. I love the art in these animes with shorter episodes. I think that the shorter length gives them more time to put extra detail into it. Mahou Shoujo Tai and Steel Angel Kurumi are like this as well.

I highly reccommend either of these for download on the usual downloadanime.org which are still both on the front page and are being seeded by a ton of people. It's a shorter download and is well worth the time. Final Approach for fun, and W-Wish for fluff. Screens coming in a couple minutes.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-13-2004 12:20:16 AM
Pics from "First Approach"

Here are the siblings Akane(15) and Ryo(17) being surprised by the sudden entering of the FBI agents through their window and Shizuka appearing.

Shizuka in a Kimono.

Shizuka and the FBI guys threatening Ryo and Akane if they tell anyone about the government's plan.

These pics are from "W-Wish".

A neat pic from the opening that shows Junna and Senna. Also has another main(?) character from episodes to come.

Here's a closeup pic of Senna. That hat is so cute. It reminds me of Shia from Pita-ten.

A scene from Junna's childhood memory of the crash.

I just thought the teacher was adorable, so I took a screen of her.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 10-13-2004 02:18:53 AM
You bastard fucker! I was gonna review Final Approach... I was about to start writing it when I noticed your post.

Fucker. Yet another series I'll have to try and collect. Why was it so short though? Is this another one of those DigiCharat type anime? Commercial break caliber?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 10-13-2004 09:46:26 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Random Insanity Generator:
Commercial break caliber?

It looks like there's a new trend in these ren'ai-game shows to fit two in a half-hour slot. Wind and Operation Sanctuary did this a couple of months ago (although those were explicitly connected and had each other's logo).

Anyway, that look in Shizuka's eyes definitely says she's up to something.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 10-13-2004 09:55:19 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator was listening to Cher while typing:
You bastard fucker! I was gonna review Final Approach... I was about to start writing it when I noticed your post.

You got Gainsborowned.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: