EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Abandonware
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 09-24-2004 01:50:33 PM
What actually classifies a game as abandonware.
I picked up Tie Fighter and Xwing online of course because my old floppies are long gone.

Now comes what I want to know, when is X vs Tie going to go abandonware? I want it so bad, I miss it and with the updated textures and models that people made, it looks all good even for its age...

So anyone know when or how something becomes abandonware?

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-24-2004 01:56:46 PM
When you can no longer pay for it from a publisher or developer.
Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 09-24-2004 02:03:08 PM
As far as this board goes, I believe it says in the rules that anything that is no longer sold (except on ebay etc) can be considered abandonware, and thus you can talk about it without being banned.

Note that there is no provision for abandonware in the U.S. Even if the company stops publishing the software, you've got to wait 95 years (thanks Sonny Bono!) to copy it.

Iulius Czar fucked around with this message on 09-24-2004 at 02:03 PM.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 09-24-2004 02:07:43 PM
quote:
Verily, Naimah doth proclaim:
When you can no longer pay for it from a publisher or developer.

that gets me sad because if I'm not mistaken I think they still sell xwing vs tie fighter at lucasarts

oh well, I guess waiting a little longer won't hurt

Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 09-24-2004 02:12:42 PM
It's not going to make it any less illegal for you to download it if they do stop selling the game, so if you're going to pirate it, pirate it. The only thing to stop you is your own moral code.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 09-24-2004 02:26:19 PM
A product is abandonware at the point when the company that produced it no longer has an interest in it. This usually occurs when it ceases to be available for sale. In a few cases, however, the company may want to keep a product rare, or off the market completely, for the purposes of making an anniversary, classics, or collector's edition release later. (This is what happens with Disney movies.)
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 09-24-2004 10:31:24 PM
quote:
Iulius Czar obviously shouldn't have said:
It's not going to make it any less illegal for you to download it if they do stop selling the game, so if you're going to pirate it, pirate it. The only thing to stop you is your own moral code.

But would it really be pirating if I own the original, just that the disk is defunktified.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 09-24-2004 10:33:27 PM
Go buy X-Wing Alliance instead. It has everything XvT has and more.
Dymus Arindelil
I betcha its pink. Jania seems like the type to wear pink undies.
posted 09-24-2004 10:53:34 PM
Yep. Your big chance to fight the Battle of Hoth.

Again.

I know what color underwear Jania wears. So there

Run through the cold of the night, as passion burns in your heart.
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark with eyes that watch the world

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 09-24-2004 11:22:24 PM
quote:
Zaza stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Go buy X-Wing Alliance instead. It has everything XvT has and more.

So you can fly both sides?

Because thats why I liked X vs Tie... if thats the case, I'll pick up Xwing Alliance tommorow... if not... then screw that

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 09-25-2004 09:39:00 AM
Oh yeah, Alliance kicks major ass. LOTS of ships, and I used to follow the Modding/Ship community for Alliance big time, I'm sure lots of new ships have come out too, great great stuff.

Nothing can replace TIE Fighter though, best SW Flight Sim. I loved the small stuff like the Tattoos and whatnot, very cool

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-25-2004 09:43:18 AM
quote:
Dymus Arindelil stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Yep. Your big chance to fight the Battle of Hoth.

Again.

ENDOR

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-25-2004 10:08:56 AM
quote:
Brahmin Bloodlust stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
But would it really be pirating if I own the original, just that the disk is defunktified.

Actually, it is.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: