EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Student Loans, needing info.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 09-20-2004 01:37:58 PM
Hi!

I'm looking for either advice on legitimate companies on small student loans, so that I can get one, and have all payments and interest deferred until I am out of college.

So, if you have a lender that you like, a lender that you HATE, or a website that legitimately reviews the various companies, I'd be greatful.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-20-2004 02:53:07 PM
What are your current choices? Who provided your original loans?
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-20-2004 03:02:53 PM
Any reason you can't go with Stafford?

A Subsidized Stafford is a good bit of fundage and doesn't have to be paid right away. I believe you can request a smaller than normal amount if you so desire also.

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 09-20-2004 03:05:16 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Gikk wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for either advice on legitimate companies on small student loans, so that I can get one, and have all payments and interest deferred until I am out of college.

So, if you have a lender that you like, a lender that you HATE, or a website that legitimately reviews the various companies, I'd be greatful.

1st step, talk to your school's financial aid department. They should be able to give you the greatest help with this quest.

In Ohio, I had the best luck going with Great Lakes (something) (Something). (wish I still had the full name) It was a banking group that specialized in just student loans. Never had a problem with them, either while as a student, or graduation.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-20-2004 03:32:39 PM
Thanks Cherveny, Great Lakes is the other major company.

Gikk, while you are in school, try to take out subsidized loans from either Sallie Mae or Great Lakes. Do not go through a private lender or a bank, though a bank will guarantee the loans.

Subsidized loans will defer interests until 6 months to one year after your last date of at least half-time enrollment. Unsubsidized loan require quarterly interest payments or the interest can be defered by adding the interest payment to the loan (at which time you will be paying interest on the interest-not a good idea). Neither loan requires repayments until 6 months to one year since the last date of at least half-time enrollment.

And like Chervey said, talk to your Student Loan Officer about your situation.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 09-20-2004 07:15:16 PM
Note that alot of consolidation services will only help you consolidate subsidized loans. That bit me in the ass.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 09-24-2004 10:20:00 PM
Sallie Mae defers all payments for the time you're in school. That's generally the lender you'll go through if you get a loan from the government. Talk to your financial aid department, and make sure you fill out a FAFSA.

Jania Arindelil fucked around with this message on 09-24-2004 at 10:20 PM.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Dymus Arindelil
I betcha its pink. Jania seems like the type to wear pink undies.
posted 09-24-2004 10:26:33 PM
How much you can get in loans depends on what year you are. For instance, being a Junior, I can get several thousand dollars in subsidized loans (meaning the government takes up the cost of the interest until 9 months after I finish school), plus several thousand more of unsubsidized loans, not to mention grant rewards (Pell Grant being the big one).

Don't go with private loans (banks, etc) unless you absolutely have to. They're seldom subsidized in any fashion, and they almost always have a higher rate than things like the Stafford loans (which last I checked had like a 2.15% rate, which is not bad any way you slice it). The sole advantage to private loans is that they're more likely to work out a longer period of payback time (guy I know from one class has his loan set up to be paid back over 20 years rather than 10).

Likewise, keep in mind this isn't free money. You're essentially borrowing money from yourself. So don't get dollar signs in your head and go overboard. That's not a personal attack, either. A lot of students go ga-ga over how much they can get. I personally can get upwards of around 20k in loans and grant rewards. Just this semester. On the other hand, that's me borrowing close to 25k from myself by the time I pay it all off. Just this semester. So definitely think about it.

I know what color underwear Jania wears. So there

Run through the cold of the night, as passion burns in your heart.
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark with eyes that watch the world

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Dymus Arindelil
posted 09-24-2004 10:35:00 PM
It also depends heavily on income and your age, whether or not you're an independent or head of household or dependent, etc. If when you fill out the FAFSA it said "0" on amount you'd have to cover yourself, you should get a bunch of coverage from the government anyway. At least I did as a 25 year old independent.

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 09-25-2004 01:12:25 AM
I did the loans through my school.

I got a whopping 6 grand a year, which, sadly, isn't enough.

I can't get another loan through them, unless my parents get a PLUS loan - which is not an option, because of the 'immediate repayment' thing, even though my mom's still in school right now.

I'm a dependant, so no more aid from school.

I'll look into Sallie Mae; I didn't know how reputable they were.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-25-2004 02:09:18 AM
Being a dependent is not the best of circumstances. When will they consider you an Independent student, other than "not soon enough?"
Dymus Arindelil
posted 09-25-2004 12:14:20 PM
Usually it's 25 years of age, or under that and head of your household.

-"Small Two of Pieces"
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: