EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Skies of Arcadia
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 09-19-2004 12:28:52 PM
Hokay, i have been addicted to this game for over a week now, and I am making a thread about it.

This game owns. It's fantastic The characters are great, the battle system is amusing, the ship-to-ship combat is fun as hell, and the storyline is fairly good.

The story : You're an air pirate. Your father is the captain of a crew of Blue Rogues. One day, you attack a Valuan Battleship (From the Valua empire) and rescue a girl from them. The story takes off from there - Valua retaliates, and kidnaps your father and his crew, it's your job to rescue him, free the once-again kidnapped girl, find out what Valua is up to, stop them, etc etc etc.

The story reminds me a bit of Final Fantasy 7, sans Sephiroth. The evil empire is seeking to revive ancient giant WMD's, and succeeds partially, so you have to destroy the giant critters and stop the evil empire.

The battle system deserves a mention - it's very, very good. It's turn-based, enter your commands and they get executed, etc etc etc. Each turn, you get some 'SP'. SP, Spirit Points, are used to do special moves or cast magic. Magic only ever costs 1 MP to use, but often costs a bit of SP. Also, in battle, when taking your turn, you can switch your weapon's element. Meaning you can give elemental damage to any weapon, and any element you want, even in mid-battle. Your yellow (lightning) sword isn't doing much damage? Press a button, switch to blue (Water) and it might do double what it was doing before

Ship-to-Ship combat is very nice as well... your ship and the enemy's ship will fly around and circle and dodge and weave back and forth while pounding at each other with their cannons. You can get all kinds of different cannons and weapons for your ship... like, you can use 'main cannons' which have a powerful attack but only fire for one turn, 'secondary cannons' which can fire for multiple turns, Torpedoes which fire and hit on a different turn entirely, etc. So if you use a Torpedo first, then secondary cannon, then main cannon, you can have all three go off on the same turn, and do massive damage

The game kicks serious ass. The only real complaint I have about it, is that there seem to be too many random battles. I get kind of sick trying to fly across the world and constantly run into little annoying pests (Which are usually easy to kill, just annoying), or go through the large dungeons and get in a fight every 10 feet.

Anyways, you can pick up Skies of Arcadia Legends for $20 new (I picked mine up for $17 used). I'd say that it's more than worth that price

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 09-19-2004 12:32:26 PM
My favourite part, by leaps and bounds, is ship-to-ship combat. Especially after you get the Delphinus! She's a beauty, she is.

Moonstone cannon, fire!

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Khyron
posted 09-19-2004 12:48:17 PM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze wrote this stupid crap:
My favourite part, by leaps and bounds, is ship-to-ship combat. Especially after you get the Delphinus! She's a beauty, she is.

Moonstone cannon, fire!

Hell yes. I love the Delphinus. The first half (Or is it third?) of the game when you have the Little Jack, is nothing compared to when you get your Flying Machine of Destruction

Xyless
Pancake
posted 09-19-2004 01:45:58 PM
quote:
This one time, at Khyron camp:

The only real complaint I have about it, is that there seem to be too many random battles. I get kind of sick trying to fly across the world and constantly run into little annoying pests (Which are usually easy to kill, just annoying), or go through the large dungeons and get in a fight every 10 feet.

When your flying somewhere, fly in upper sky. No random battles and its almost empty so travel is easy.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-19-2004 01:46:37 PM
I only count 8 paragraphs. This game can't be good, we haven't had a big enough spoogefest over it yet...

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 09-19-2004 01:46:53 PM
Yarrr.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-19-2004 03:23:21 PM
quote:
Xyless enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
When your flying somewhere, fly in upper sky. No random battles and its almost empty so travel is easy.

But by that time you can do Rain of Swords or Lambda Burst in the first turn and easily kill everything for magic points.

Khyron
posted 09-19-2004 05:59:01 PM
I can do Lambda Burst first turn, problem is there are a ton of enemies it just doesn't do good damage to. I want to use Rain of Swords 1st turn, but I can't start a level with enough SP...

I only start with 9 SP per turn (3 vyse, 2 aika/fina/enrique). When do Aika, Fina, and Enrique upgrade their damn SP to 3? Vyse has had his at 3 since level 25, but the others are level 30 and still only do 2 per turn

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: