EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Sky Captain And the World of Tommorrow
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 09-18-2004 04:22:51 PM
Lechium and myself just returned from seeing this, and I must say, that was one damn entertaining work of film

Pure 1940's b-movie goodness, right down to the giant robot's eye lasers even make those "beee bwewwww" noises when fired! The movie is a culmination of every single cheesy thing that made b-movies so great... ray guns, jetpacks, big improbable machines, and wrapped it up with great characters and hilarious dialogue

And the ending rocked, it managed to make the entire thing worth it with just two words

I approve of this film

Vorago fucked around with this message on 09-18-2004 at 04:35 PM.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 09-18-2004 04:52:51 PM
I just hope it doesn't become the latest Hollywood fad. By all accounts it is a highly entertaining movie that looks great, but nothing will ever replace real life action.
Peter
Pancake
posted 09-18-2004 06:17:08 PM
I found it to be a good movie, but I agree with Snoota. The transitions between scenes were pretty annoying.
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 09-18-2004 07:11:56 PM
And as a bonus, they showed the new Incredibles trailer which was freaking amazing.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 09-18-2004 10:02:47 PM
This movie was a work of art.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 09-24-2004 10:26:08 PM
That movie was fantastic. I loved all the little things they put in to make it so much like old 40s adventure movies: the "SCIENTIST MISSING" behind her as she typed, the map superimposed on the terrain they were passing over, the way Joe saluted their pursuers when they managed to get away, the way the one scientist electrocuted down to just a skeleton, the words forming "Emergency Release" from their German (which is a trick used in many, many older movies, especially the fairy tale based ones) and just a ton of other things I'd need to see the movie again to recall.

I thought it was a great homage to both old pulp comics from the time, and those old adventure movies. The characters were great, the lines were snappy, and Frankie kicked ass. I loved her. I didn't think I was going to like Polly, but they pulled off the hard-as-nails female reporter without having to use her as a foil for everything that could go wrong. Did I mention the eyepatch Navy captain rocked? Hehe, I loved it, and that will definitely be one going into my DVD collection.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Dymus Arindelil
I betcha its pink. Jania seems like the type to wear pink undies.
posted 09-24-2004 10:29:10 PM
Yeah, I was hoping for a good movie (I had been tracking this movie for literally months, since before the trailer was out), but I was still impressed. It really was like one of those old Doc Savage or similar pulp comics jumping to life on the screen. It was really fantastic.
I know what color underwear Jania wears. So there

Run through the cold of the night, as passion burns in your heart.
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark with eyes that watch the world

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 09-24-2004 11:12:10 PM
Coming to a theater near you: Sky Captain and the World of WarCraft.
I really, really, really want to see this movie.
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 09-24-2004 11:24:47 PM
When they released all those animals from the rocket near the end, I was expecting them to all just fly out and crash, instead I was dissapointed to find them to be in metal capsules.

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 09-25-2004 12:16:54 AM
I loved this movie. Everything about it was so totally awesome.
Gork
Pancake
posted 09-25-2004 01:19:22 AM
EXCUSE ME? BUT WOULDNT THE URANIUM HAVE OVEREXPOSED MS. PALTROWS FILM? THOUGHT THAT WAS MOOT ABOUT RECOVERING THE FILM BAG!?!?!?!?!

I just got back from this movie about 9 minutes ago, I want my money back =(

Unfortunately it just had nothing to offer... too corny but I guess that may of been the point. My buddy fell asleep 20 minutes in... that was the most amusing part for me... That and the part where you see the strap from Ms. Paltrow's garter belt... Rrrroow.

Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Lurker007
Pancake
posted 09-25-2004 01:59:34 AM
what i liked is if you watched closely they did nods ot other movies of the era

such as wizard of oz. when they showed all the newspapers of the cities being atttacked the one for japan had godzilla.

the venture was a ship in some movie i forget but you clearly see the titanic in the background

the log the crossed in the "lost world" was right out of the orginal king kong

im sure there was others i missed

to err is human to forgive devine
Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 09-25-2004 03:08:08 AM
Uh, the film bag got destroyed. She had her camera on her person the whole time, that's where the pictures came from.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Dymus Arindelil
I betcha its pink. Jania seems like the type to wear pink undies.
posted 09-25-2004 12:16:51 PM
Yeah I'm not too concerned about the whole film thing.

What I was worried about was that Totenkaupf was making an atomic bomb when they discovered the radioactive mine. I thought "Gee, has Polly been carrying around enriched uranium all this time?"

Was actually kinda relieved it was just genetic material

I know what color underwear Jania wears. So there

Run through the cold of the night, as passion burns in your heart.
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark with eyes that watch the world

-"Small Two of Pieces"
Peter
Pancake
posted 09-26-2004 01:05:10 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Jania Arindelil stammered:
Uh, the film bag got destroyed. She had her camera on her person the whole time, that's where the pictures came from.

How ever being in the mine would have exposed the film, thus ruining it. Even the stuff in the Camera

diadem
eet bugz
posted 09-26-2004 01:19:12 PM
quote:
Peter painfully thought these words up:
How ever being in the mine would have exposed the film, thus ruining it. Even the stuff in the Camera

i agree, but i don't think realisim is relevant for that movie

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Lashanna
noob
posted 09-26-2004 01:23:26 PM
Wow.

You guys are worried about the fact that they overlooked the effects of radiation on film, in a movie named "Sky Captain And the World of Tomorrow."

It could've been Tomorrow-Film, and thus immune to radiation!

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 09-26-2004 02:06:26 PM
I thought one of the coolest little touches was when they were landing on the floating airbase of Frankie's, they told them to land in landing strip 327. That is the same number as the docking bay on Cloud City where the Millenium Falcon was told to land.

/geekness off

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-26-2004 03:30:02 PM
quote:
Nae had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I thought one of the coolest little touches was when they were landing on the floating airbase of Frankie's, they told them to land in landing strip 327. That is the same number as the docking bay on Cloud City where the Millenium Falcon was told to land.

/geekness off

And the feel of Star Wars was, by Lucas' own admission, largely based on the old pulp comics and serial sci-fi stuff he saw when he was a kid. I really like that it comes full circle like that. Like an homage to the whole lineage.

Ever since I saw Disney's Atlantis (and here come the anime geeks...), I've been thinking that it would be fantastic if some company or another really did a serious job of doing at least one movie (and I wish more) based on that era of pop culture. So much of what we take for granted today in popular fiction today was based off of things from that era, or you can trace the lineage back to that time.

I was really happy with Sky Captain. It's easy to forget today, in the era of anime, that the United States is where a lot of the "big robots" culture originated. Anime borrowed a lot from the penny dreadfuls of the late 19th century into the pulp comics of the 30's, many of which involved giant robots and impossible flying machines and so forth. Then when you see it in anime, people think that's where it came from...it's not. It's being disrespectful to the entire genre to not look back to the origins.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Gork
Pancake
posted 09-26-2004 03:46:41 PM
Im not worried about it Lashy =p I hated the rest of the movie as well.. I was just pointing it out because its like agony the whole time.. Should I shoot this should i shoot that =p
Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Demos
Pancake
posted 09-26-2004 03:48:42 PM
quote:
Nae had this to say about Pirotess:

/geekness off

Also, if you watch Independence Day, the hangar in Area 51 pays tribute to Star Wars by having a giant "R" on one side of the hangar opening and a "2" on the right side.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 09-27-2004 02:46:10 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael's fortune cookie read:
A bunch of cool stuff.

Yeah I totally agree with you! I love the old sci-fi movies, Flash Gordon and things like that. I love most old movies anyway, but being a sci-fi lover, watching this film really made me nostalgic.

I was looking forward to the movie for a year and I was not disappointed. The things that everyone else said they didn't like, I found touching and pure. The scene changes were the only way I could see them being. I loved the "colorized" black and white, it gave the movie an almost film noir air.

And duders.. don't be so concerned about the realism of her film and the radiation.. I mean ffs.. there were freaking dinosaurs in the movie yet I don't hear you scream "OMG REALISM THEY CAN'T DO THAT!!"

lolerz

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: