EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: hard drive question
Xyless
Pancake
posted 09-15-2004 12:52:55 PM
I really need to wipe my hard drive before my next reformat but i've never done this before and i'm not sure how. I believe someone told me that I require some program so a link to this would be very helpful. Also, after the wipe is it easy to install windows or do I really need to know what i'm doing?
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 09-15-2004 01:14:53 PM
quote:
Xyless wrote this stupid crap:
I really need to wipe my hard drive before my next reformat but i've never done this before and i'm not sure how. I believe someone told me that I require some program so a link to this would be very helpful. Also, after the wipe is it easy to install windows or do I really need to know what i'm doing?

Are you looking to just wipe everything out, or back up your stuff before reformating? If it's the former, I don't believe you need to do anything, as it's all lost when you reformat.

Alaan
posted 09-15-2004 01:17:52 PM
quote:
Sakkra stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Are you looking to just wipe everything out, or back up your stuff before reformating? If it's the former, I don't believe you need to do anything, as it's all lost when you reformat.

I think he is using the term "reformat" as a new installation of Windows instead of whiping the drive clean. Though I could be wrong. And if memory serves when you do the XP install the option of formatting your drive is right there. And installing windows is easy.

Alaan fucked around with this message on 09-15-2004 at 01:18 PM.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 09-15-2004 01:36:24 PM
Just put the CD into your computer as you're shutting it down. Start it back up, tell it to boot from CD, and follow the instructions.

I wonder if you could find this on Google...

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Xyless
Pancake
posted 09-15-2004 03:00:28 PM
I know how to reformat. When I do it leaves everything on the hard drive, just reinstalls windows. I want everything off my hard drive.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 09-15-2004 03:03:13 PM
format C: /y
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 09-15-2004 03:20:58 PM
quote:
This is what Xyless is doing. This is what I want Xyless to do :

I know how to reformat. When I do it leaves everything on the hard drive, just reinstalls windows. I want everything off my hard drive.

Do you realize that your second sentence completely voids the first sentence?

A format, or reformat therein, erases everything on that partition, essentially cleaning off all data. It's like dumping your plate in the trash.

A reinstall, however, leaves everything on the hard drive and just reinstalls Windows.

Windows is easy to install. It's mostly just clicking "Next" unless you want to do some custom configuration, and if that's the case, you should already know how to do that.

What version of Windows? If it's 95/98/ME, you can boot to a boot disk and type FORMAT C: /y as Led suggested. Otherwise, you'll need to boot to the 2000/XP CD and when it walks you through setup, you can choose to format/repartition your drive.

Normally, what I do is use a 98/ME boot disk and then use the FDISK tool to manually wipe out the partition and then rebuild it.. then let the XP CD format it and install on it. But this is probably too advanced for you.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 09-15-2004 04:11:02 PM
As Bajah pointed out, you clearly do not understand formatting if there's anything left.

I've always been satisfied with the Win XPs disk's option for formatting.

Xyless
Pancake
posted 09-15-2004 04:37:29 PM
I really dont know what i'm doing. I put in the win 2k disk and go through and chose a clean install for windows. It gives me a choice to hit "D" to delete the partition when i'm setting this up, which I thought would accomplish what i'm trying to do, but it's not working. So...thats what i'm trying to do. Sorry if what I say dosent make much sence, I have trouble collecting my thoughts.
Snugglits
posted 09-15-2004 04:42:35 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Xyless stammered:
I really dont know what i'm doing. I put in the win 2k disk and go through and chose a clean install for windows. It gives me a choice to hit "D" to delete the partition when i'm setting this up, which I thought would accomplish what i'm trying to do, but it's not working. So...thats what i'm trying to do. Sorry if what I say dosent make much sence, I have trouble collecting my thoughts.

Alright, now we're going somewhere.

Are you starting it up in windows or are you booting from it?

Xyless
Pancake
posted 09-15-2004 04:54:53 PM
Starting it up in windows, only way I know how.

Xyless fucked around with this message on 09-15-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 09-15-2004 04:59:11 PM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Xyless scored a straight 1 with:
Starting it up in windows, only way I know how.

No offense... but maybe you should find someone a little more knowledgeable or experienced in this.

Have you tried putting the 2000 CD in the drive and then restarting the computer? You'll see something like "Press any key to boot to CD..." and at that point you'd hit enter or something....

And then do the Partition Delete, etc, from there.

If you're IN windows, you can't format... because it's using the data.

Snugglits
posted 09-15-2004 05:05:56 PM
quote:
Bajah attempted to be funny by writing:
No offense... but maybe you should find someone a little more knowledgeable or experienced in this.

Have you tried putting the 2000 CD in the drive and then restarting the computer? You'll see something like "Press any key to boot to CD..." and at that point you'd hit enter or something....

And then do the Partition Delete, etc, from there.

If you're IN windows, you can't format... because it's using the data.

And to expand on Bajah's statement, if it's not asking you to "Press any key to boot to CD..." then you're either going to have to learn something about using your BIOS (When it says "Press Delete to enter setup" during the first few seconds of the computer's startup) or you're going to need a computer-savvy friend to help you.

Xyless
Pancake
posted 09-15-2004 05:21:44 PM
Yeah, i'm not great with this stuff but I can manage this. I just didnt know I need to boot it up like that to delete a partition. Thanks for your help guys.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-15-2004 05:42:16 PM
quote:
Blah blah blah Alaan blah blah blah...
whiping

THERE IS NO FUCKING H IN WIPING.

Alaan
posted 09-15-2004 05:48:35 PM
quote:
How.... Delphi Aegis.... uughhhhhh:
THERE IS NO FUCKING H IN WIPING.

God knows one inadvertant "h" will destroy all of EverCrest.

Snugglits
posted 09-15-2004 05:58:31 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Alaan wrote:
God knows one inadvertant "h" will destroy all of EverCrest.

Fuck, yeah, man. WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?!?!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: