EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Good 1600x1200 monitor?
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 09-01-2004 08:43:40 PM
So last friday I went to my local Fry's Electronics, and picked up a 19'' Envision monitor with a max res of 1600x1200 for a whopping $140 after tax. I finally get around to hooking it up to my computer today, and I realise it is complete and utter shit.

Unlike my Samsung SyncMaster 753DF, the Envision EFT920 cannot display any resolution completely square. After messing with the monitor settings for 20 minutes in 3 different resolutions, I gave up. At 800x600 it would be nice and fairly square. At 1280x1024, there would be a noticable indent on one side or another. At 1600x1200, it wouldn't even expand horizontally across the entire screen. It would leave a good 1.5'' gap on either side of the picture of blank space.

Not to mention, during this 20 minutes the monitor started to develop that nice odor that plastic makes when it starts to get heated. While somewhat normal for a monitor to make heat, and a slightly noticable smell if you leave something ontop of it, there was nothing ontop of the brand spankin new stinky shitty monitor. At this point I got disgusted with it, removed it from my computer, and packed it back up in the box. I'm planning on taking it back tomorrow, and hoping to get a cash refund, if not at least store credit, because there's always something to be bought at Fry's.

For a minor point, I noted in the documentation that Envisions site does offer drivers. However, I'm not exactly motivated to go and get a driver, and put the big peice of black shit back up on my desk to be disappointed again. Unless someone convinces me it's really worth a try, I probably won't bother, and cite the bad aroma as reason for the return.

So, should I knock on Sony's door or Samsung's door for a monitor to provide me with the massive landscape I desire?

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-01-2004 08:46:07 PM
How about Viewsonic's door?

The G/E90f is what I use.. 1600x1200 max res at 75 (I believe) hz, and it's oh-so-beautiful.

Monitors are one of those things ya can't really scrimp on too much by buying off-brand.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 09-01-2004 09:31:57 PM
Viewsonic P225fb. 85Hz at 1600x1200. Or 75Hz at 2048x1536.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-01-2004 09:54:07 PM
Here's a tip: Buy a monitor with a max resolution LARGER than you'll actually set it at.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Maradon!
posted 09-01-2004 11:15:00 PM
SyncMaster 955DF
BetaTested
posted 09-02-2004 01:04:33 AM
Delphi and Mara's monitor suggestions are high up there. I'm really only looking for a 19' monitor, I doubt that my L-shaped Hutched desk would be able to fit a 22 incher.

Now, would someone explain what the hell this 'flicker free' stuff I've seen in reviews is all about? Is there something that I just don't notice? SyncMaster 753DF maxes out at 1280x1024 with a refresh rate of 63.9hz. I've never noticed any kind of flickering, other that when it changes resolution for a different game. Every now and then it'll bitch out and let out an wonderful high pitched whine until I smack it, but that's a common thing with CRT technology, hell I have TVs that do that.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Mightion Defensor
posted 09-02-2004 02:00:07 PM
Don't buy a Sony monitor. If it fails after 30 days you get a refurbished, not a new one.

I'm in the market for a 19 inch monitor myself, but there are no Fry's around here, and all the Circuit Cities sell are LCD monitors. Office Max is the same way.

I'm really loathe to buy a monitor online... but, my 17 inch monitor, boxed, barely fits in my car. I doubt I'd get a 19 incher in it.

Mightion Defensor fucked around with this message on 09-02-2004 at 02:03 PM.

BetaTested
posted 09-02-2004 04:53:37 PM
I understand that delima Mightion. My 82 BMW 320i can barely pack stuff away into it. It's really small. At best, you can pack 2 computers and 2 people (driver included) in it. It'd be a real trick to pack a 17, or 19 incher in there in a box. Glad I've got my truck for that kind of stuff.

Speaking of, I'll be taking the moni back in a few minutes. I'm hoping I'll at least get instore credit. I'll end up using it before I leave, but hey. So long as no more money comes out of my pocket for another 2 weeks I'll be ok.

And thanks for the heads up on Sony monitors.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-02-2004 05:17:26 PM
The box that my monitor came in is 22 1/2 x 22 1/2 x 20 in, to give you some idea. It was VERY VERY heavy, and not balanced (due to the screen being heavylols), just so you have some idea if you do decide to buy it in person.
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 09-02-2004 07:44:01 PM
I'm currently running a 21" Viewsonic G810B as my main monitor, and a 19" Viewsonic A90f+ as my 2nd monitor.

The A90f+ does 1600 x 1200 @99Hz, and is consumer grade monitor so it's pretty easy to find locally.

Demos
Pancake
posted 09-02-2004 07:45:07 PM
I like my MAG 986FS...when I switched to my new Radeon 9800pro, I had to do some tweakings but now its el perfecto.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 09-02-2004 07:57:03 PM
About the flickering, florescent lights flicker at 60 Hz. A monitor running around a 60 Hz refresh rate will noticably flicker under florescent lighting. Used to be an issue in office settings, but at home you'd likely never notice it.
Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 09-02-2004 10:39:18 PM
Now I work at Fry's, in Computer Sales, so I have a pretty good idea of where you're coming from;

If you want a Samsung, the 995DF was actually discontinued, and replaced by the 997DF. Might want to look into that, or even the NEC FE991S/B, also a good unit. If you're not opposed to refurbished models, Fry's always has several Dell refurbs to be had, and in 19" they often have some Trinitrons...

Could have told you about the EFT 920... on the TFT side, the EN 9250 isn't much better, sadly. Here's something else to pay attention to, and I'm almost 100% sure you got where you are now cuz of this (no fault of yours, though):

Anything that Fry's puts on ad is generally shit. They more or less pick something that's of questionable quality and sell it anywhere between 10-50% below cost. The idea behind this is to get you into the store, generally not to sell it to you. The reason for that is that #1, they're going to lose money for selling it, and #2, it's shitty quality and you will most likely end up returning it thus leaving them with even more open boxes that they have to discount.

So anyways, here are my final reccomendations:

1. Samsung 997DF
2. NEC FE991S/B
3. 19" Dell refurb, Trinitron
4. Viewsonic P95f+b, or failing that A90f+

Good luck!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: