EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So I'm playing Breath of Fire 3...
Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 09-01-2004 12:52:44 AM
I actually beat BOF3 quite a while ago, but I was playing through it again for fun, and to take a break from FFX which I just recently picked up (Yeah, I'm behind the times ).

So I got to thinking (I know, dangerous) about the storylines of these two games. Both share a common thread that's very prominent -- the fact that someone higher up in society has decided that technology is bad. Whether it's Myria discarding all the machines into the bottom of the ocean, or Yevon calling the Al Bhed heathens for using machina, it seems to be the same concept.

So my question is this: why is this a common theme of RPGs? And are there any other games out there that have this story element?

Steven Steve
posted 09-01-2004 12:54:07 AM
Because it's a cliche storyline, and I believe most of the Might and Magic games use the same concept
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-01-2004 12:54:11 AM
Where have you been lately?
Lashanna
noob
posted 09-01-2004 12:59:09 AM
It's easier to control people when you suppress their knowledge base.
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 09-01-2004 01:00:50 AM
quote:
Mortious obviously shouldn't have said:
Where have you been lately?

Heh. I've been very busy lately, working 80 hours a week at times, etc.

But I'm around for now...

Maradon!
posted 09-01-2004 01:02:26 AM
Luddites as villains is a concept that stretches back as far as ancient greece. It ranks up there with the "romeo and juliet" scenario as a long-standing, reusable plot elements.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 09-01-2004 at 01:03 AM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-01-2004 02:05:54 AM
If anyone has played Tales of Symphonia, don't read ze spoilers below.

I think Mithos was right in creating Tethe'alla and Sylvarant. Perhaps his reasons were incorrect (A half elf only world, or an everybody's a zombie world.. whatever), but the basic premise is intelligent. If you have one world where they get all the mana they need, eventually, they'll develop magitechnology (Which Tethe'alla was about to), and suck mana down hardcore, thus leading to the reason WHY the worlds were split in the first place. But if you have two worlds, each counterbalancing the other in terms of flourishing/declining, you bypass the whole magitechnology thing entirely, and although populations and quality of life isn't as grand as it'll be a while after the giant Kharlan tree grows, it can be sustained almost indefinatly with the proper care.

I mean, the giant Kharlan tree is nice and all, but Tethe'alla was on the verge of magitechnology anyway, even if they just stop research due to whatever reason, there'll be a couple hundred years where everyone follows it, then it fades in to legend, and magitechnology sucks the tree dry.. again. It was almost depressing to watch the ending.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: