EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Thinking about getting a used laptop
Beta Tested
Pancake
posted 08-22-2004 11:17:43 AM
There's a guy on a car forum that I frequent who's getting rid of 3 laptops. I'm interested in his 3rd and oldest one, and looking for your opinions on it. It's an IBM T22, 1ghz P3-m, 256mb RAM, 20gb hard drive, he's tossing in a dock, a spare battery and 2 chargers. He wants $500 for it.

I'd kind of like to get a computer that would be able to play a few of yesterday's games, even if they're really slow. Things like Half Life, RTSs (RoN, WC3, similar titles), and Gun Bound. It has an S3 Savage IX8 onboard graphics accelerator. I was wondering if that would be up to snuff. I'm not looking to play UT2k4, or Doom 3 on the little guy, just some time killer stuff. If not, I'm sure my OLD games like The Sims, Tropico, and Ceasar 3 will play, heh.

Just kind of wanting to seek out our computer inclined collective opinion. To me, it sounds like a fairly good deal. I could use it in my Econ/Govt class to take notes, which would be mucho handy because I can only understand what I wrote half the time. From the sounds of some reviews that I've found online it's less than 2'' thick, and under 5lbs, which makes for a good portable indeed.

What's this thing do?
That would be sooo cool if it wasn't going to hurt us.
Melphina's Magelo
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-22-2004 12:40:16 PM
For that same $500, you could get a much better desktop system new.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 01:18:32 PM
I played those games on my old laptop (which was only different because it had an AMD 1.2 GhZ instead of a P3m 1.0

You should be fine

Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 08-22-2004 03:37:58 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Bloodsage said this:
For that same $500, you could get a much better desktop system new.

Portability comes with a heavy price tag.

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 08-22-2004 06:15:30 PM
I realise I can get a much better desktop for the same price, but, I want something portable as I already have a much better desktop.

I think I'm going to take his Dell 600m instead, he hadn't listed specs, but it's a fairly decent system. 1.6ghz P4-m instead of the P3, and a wireless 802b connection. Same specs otherwise. Same price as well. Probably has better onboard video as well, current 600m's are shipping with Radeon 9000 mobilities with 32 or 64mb of RAM, which isn't the best for gaming, but would definatly work fairly well.

Either way, I'm going to get either the 600m or the T22.

For the record, I priced out a complete (minus speakers) system tuesday that came out to just under $600. Barton core 2500+, 512 DDR, 60gb 7200 8mb cache HDD, and I think it was a Radeon 9500 Pro 128. Monitor, keyboard, mouse, 500watt case, and a 48x CDRW drive.

I know desktops can be built dirt cheap now adays, but I want something for on the go. Something I can pick up and take out to a cafe with me, or take notes on with in my non computer class. I know it's not "nessicary", but it's what I'd really like. And besides, this laptop would be able to last me for a good long while with only another $200 or so. Bigger faster hard drive and more RAM, and it's damn near on the level of current $1300-$1500 laptops.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: