EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: College = coming
Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-22-2004 07:18:26 AM
So, yeah, I'll be leaving for college next week. I'm a little disgruntled about it, since I have to change majors during the semester and thus re-scramble for classes. Which brings me to my first piece of advice for college folk.

Don't procrastinate. Especially when it comes to official university stuff, like signing up for classes, haste is important! Haste and persistence! Remember, you pay them, they work for YOU! If they give you a hard time, get aggressive.

You're going to find this difficult, though, as free from parents, things will be a lot more lax. But remember my words and you'll possibly survive.

And also, another thing I learned: by acting bullheaded, aggressive and ill-tempered, you can easily drive your roommate out and get a room for yourself. But you should try to stick it out with them first. Just try keeping to yourself at first; roommates who start off as best friends usually end up seperating violently.

So anyone else have anything to offer or ask? I'm spent.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-22-2004 07:42:17 AM
Find a group to study with. People you can get along with, but get work accomplished with.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 08-22-2004 10:36:47 AM
I'm at college now..... is a tech school supposed to be filled with this many jocks? My entire floor is sports nuts.....
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-22-2004 10:46:01 AM
quote:
Y.O.T.C wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I'm at college now..... is a tech school supposed to be filled with this many jocks? My entire floor is sports nuts.....

Welcome to reality, where many myths about the stupidity of jocks and the technical superiority of social misfits will be shown for the wishful thinking they are.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Bloodrose
Pancake
posted 08-22-2004 10:58:09 AM
quote:
Y.O.T.C had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

The IT Work force is filled with Sports Nuts. It gets a little crazy, but I have found this about the Tech Industry on a whole as far as generalization. Service Oriented Positions, such as Customer Service/Tech Support is where you will find the most Jaded of "Geeks" and the loudest of the Sports Fanatics. Once you get past those style jobs into the smaller team positions of coding and system administration, the individual generalized personality traits, such as "Jock", "Outcast" tend to fall to the wayside for the more important labels such as "Programmer", "Scripter" ... etc.

~That which yields, is not always weak~
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-22-2004 12:19:22 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Bloodsage:
Welcome to reality, where many myths about the stupidity of jocks and the technical superiority of social misfits will be shown for the wishful thinking they are.

Well said.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-22-2004 12:59:34 PM
- Be as social as possible the first few weeks. Cliques are formed when the years start, and that's the easiest time to meet people.

- Though getting a single is generally nicer than having to have a roomate, if you have to get a roomate, get someone who's living style is similar to yours but you aren't close friends with. Why you should get someone with a similar living style but diffrent class schedule should be obvious. If you room with a close friends with, you'll get the "too much of you" problem. More importnatly, there won't be too many places to get away from said person.

- Have fun. College should be a blast.

- As always, ask upper classmen for advice, especailly when chosing professors.

- Bored becuase there are no parties? Start one of your own. It's easier to do than you'd think. Don't be afraid to kick annoying people out. Remember you can always be rude, but you can't efectively change your attitdue to friendly.

- Know the rules, both offical and unoffical, of the areas around you. Know what you can do, can't, and what you can get away with.

- Don't join the druggies.

quote:
How.... Bloodsage.... uughhhhhh:

I'm inclined to agree

diadem fucked around with this message on 08-22-2004 at 01:04 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 08-22-2004 01:22:56 PM
If you ever have to do group work with someone, do it with someone you trust. Otherwise you'll wake up the morning its due and have your partner say "I forgot to do it becasue I went out last night and got drunk". Stupid roomate...

And if your roomate is a jackass, just try and get along with them. Usually they have really hot girl friends that they will bring over.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-22-2004 01:25:01 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Lechium:
If you ever have to do group work with someone, do it with someone you trust. Otherwise you'll wake up the morning its due and have your partner say "I forgot to do it becasue I went out last night and got drunk". Stupid roomate...

And if your roomate is a jackass, just try and get along with them. Usually they have really hot girl friends that they will bring over.

if your roomate is a jackass, either leave or get them to leave. You should be able to go home to get away from everything, no to just change the set of problems you are dealing with.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 01:25:08 PM
Diadem gives great advice.

And even if you don't think you'll be able to get along well in college, take it from me -- you'll be fine. Even the people that didn't have many friends in high school have another chance in college. Don't mess it up. Like Diadem said, find a group to hang with at the beginning of the year, especially one close to you in class rank -- that way you'll graduate around the same time and have someone to hang with your whole time in school.

As for parties -- while they CAN be fun, make sure not to go overboard. I've known people who have and ended up failing out of college their first year. Moderation is key here.

Knowing the rules is important too -- Like in this area, you can't buy booze on Sundays. VERY important to know if you want booze on a Saturday.

And the "different schedule" bit works well -- always nice to have a second body in the room when you aren't there, that way it is harder for someone to break in and steal stuff. Which reminds me -- make SURE you and your roommate(s) ALWAYS lock your door before leaving the room -- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Most people off at college are known to have a laptop or other computer, video games and such. Colleges, especially the Freshman dorms, have large amounts of theft going on (at least here at my school).

And on the hot women thing -- Go watch women's sports if you want to find hot women. They generally have hot women there.

In closing: Don't be stupid. Don't piss people off. And most of all, don't study too much. Have FUN. Study and do well in class, but don't give up any fun.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-22-2004 at 01:27 PM.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-22-2004 01:47:44 PM
Post is too old to edit..

"Remember you can always be rude, but you can't efectively change your attitdue to friendly." means that you should start off being friendly to people, even if they annoy you. the reason for this is that once you become an asshole to someone, it's hard to get friendly with them again. you can always become an asshole if friendly doesn't work, but you can't always become friendly with someone you were an asshole to.

Having friends that are suitemates are fine, becuase you can always go to your seprate rooms. That's the huge diffrence between a suitmate and a roomate. This is of course assuming you have a big enough social group to associate with people other than just your suitemates

Yuri
posted 08-22-2004 02:43:59 PM
I just got to college yesterday and moved into my apartment to find out that the internet is down until tomorrow. So today, I packed up my laptop and headed to the university to get some internet so I am not starved. Right now I'm in the 24 hour computer lab watching a bunch of morons try and register for classes even though they begin tomorrow. Your rule of procrastination apartently did not hit these people Parce. Anyways, I'm off to go get an advance on my Bright Futures Grant so I can get my books tomorrow. See yall later.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 08-22-2004 02:59:31 PM
Take advantage of free tutoring if available and get to know your professors. I've found that invaluable these past two years.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-22-2004 03:20:47 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Alek said this:
Take advantage of free tutoring if available and get to know your professors. I've found that invaluable these past two years.

*Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. . .knowhatimean?*

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 08-22-2004 03:21:46 PM
quote:
Yuri had this to say about Cuba:
I just got to college yesterday and moved into my apartment to find out that the internet is down until tomorrow. So today, I packed up my laptop and headed to the university to get some internet so I am not starved. Right now I'm in the 24 hour computer lab watching a bunch of morons try and register for classes even though they begin tomorrow. Your rule of procrastination apartently did not hit these people Parce. Anyways, I'm off to go get an advance on my Bright Futures Grant so I can get my books tomorrow. See yall later.

Yeahh. I'm glad I signed up in June.

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-22-2004 04:15:24 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Yuri wrote:

less internet, more social stuff. at least for the first few weeks

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 04:26:52 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent diadem said:

What he said. My internet being down the first week was a great thing for me -- I got out, talked with people, went to parties when I wouldn't have before...I had a GREAT time!

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 08-22-2004 04:35:24 PM
I got an apartment for college, weeee.
What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Yuri
posted 08-22-2004 04:39:54 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when diadem wrote:

I'm not here for the social aspect of college. Just to learn

Anyways, on a side note, I found a wireless network close to my apartment aparently that I can pick up in my room so I'm posting on that for now.. not very reliable but hey.. I can talk to people

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 04:44:20 PM
quote:
Yuri had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

Anyways, on a side note, I found a wireless network close to my apartment aparently that I can pick up in my room so I'm posting on that for now.. not very reliable but hey.. I can talk to people

You do realize a LARGE portion of college IS the social aspect, right?

Learning to deal with others is a VERY important leson to learn in life. You won't get anywhere if you don't have social skills.

Look at it like this:

You have 168 hours in a given week.

You have 15 hours of in class time during the week. Takes you down to 153.
You have 20-30 hours of studying/working. Takes you down to 123-133.
You have 60 hours of sleeping. Takes you to 63-73.

What else are you gonna do with that time? You can't spend 8 hours a day on the computer. Use that time to learn other things, such as social skills. Don't waste your time away being a loner. It may be more "fun" to you now, but actually having friends to hang out with is valuable.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 08-22-2004 at 04:48 PM.

Addy
posted 08-22-2004 04:45:31 PM
quote:
So quoth Yuri:

That made me lol irl

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-22-2004 04:50:44 PM
Don't get too far into the social aspect. People are older than they were in high school, sure, but they're not any more mature.

I spent my college days with imbeciles, but I'm glad I met certain people whilst cavorting with said imbeciles.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 04:52:51 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Cuba:
Don't get too far into the social aspect. People are older than they were in high school, sure, but they're not any more mature.

I spent my college days with imbeciles, but I'm glad I met certain people whilst cavorting with said imbeciles.

Yeah. Again, moderation is key.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-22-2004 04:55:17 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Cuba:
Yeah. Again, moderation is key.

Pretty much. I threw myself into the social aspect and by the end of the year, I found myself a recluse because of my contempt for my dormmates.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 05:03:20 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Pretty much. I threw myself into the social aspect and by the end of the year, I found myself a recluse because of my contempt for my dormmates.

Good luck with the whole major change btw. Journalism is a fun major I feel

Addy
posted 08-22-2004 05:04:39 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about (_|_):

say did u no my college is good for journalism/communications/stuff like that?

HINT HINT

Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 08-22-2004 05:11:47 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Robocop:
What else are you gonna do with that time? You can't spend 8 hours a day on the computer.

ohoho

Naota Nandaba fucked around with this message on 08-22-2004 at 05:12 PM.

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Yuri
posted 08-22-2004 05:16:30 PM
I'm not saying I'm going to not talk to anyone. I just dont choose to be a party animal and do everything the typical UCF student does. I just want to learn and be successful. I realize I will have to talk to people and such but I doubt going to parties with a bunch of drunkards will help me in that aspect.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 05:24:09 PM
quote:
Yuri was listening to Cher while typing:
I'm not saying I'm going to not talk to anyone. I just dont choose to be a party animal and do everything the typical UCF student does. I just want to learn and be successful. I realize I will have to talk to people and such but I doubt going to parties with a bunch of drunkards will help me in that aspect.

Being social != going to every party and getting drunk.

There are many things to do on campus that are social activities that don't involve parties.

Yuri
posted 08-22-2004 05:25:32 PM
quote:
This one time, at Falaanla Marr camp:
Being social != going to every party and getting drunk.

There are many things to do on campus that are social activities that don't involve parties.

I'm a member of the computer club and band.. It's not that I'm not doing social activites. I just dont choose to "be social" as in going to parties ect. It just doesnt interest me.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 05:26:48 PM
quote:
How.... Yuri.... uughhhhhh:
I'm a member of the computer club and band.. It's not that I'm not doing social activites. I just dont choose to "be social" as in going to parties ect. It just doesnt interest me.

By going to the computer club and band you ARE being social. But you can still get out and be social and not have to party.

Again. Being social doesn't mean partying. You seem to be under the impression that to be social you have to go to parties. It is simply one way to be social.

Addy
posted 08-22-2004 05:27:11 PM
quote:
This one time, at Yuri camp:

Yes because house parties are the only social activities on campus going on.

You're gonna have a lot of fun at college if you stick with that sort of attitude.

"Hey man, our church is gonna go out on a nature hike, wanna come?"
"No thx man, I don't like house parties k"

Yuri
posted 08-22-2004 05:30:55 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Addy wrote:
Yes because house parties are the only social activities on campus going on.

You're gonna have a lot of fun at college if you stick with that sort of attitude.

"Hey man, our church is gonna go out on a nature hike, wanna come?"
"No thx man, I don't like house parties k"

At my college, yeah.. Parties are about the only social thing to do other then the geek clubs which I am already a part of. Here, every day there is a party. That's all that really happens.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-22-2004 05:33:53 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Yuri wrote:
At my college, yeah.. Parties are about the only social thing to do other then the geek clubs which I am already a part of. Here, every day there is a party. That's all that really happens.

could always take a walk through the woods with some of the more social geeks and some of the more intelligent party goers.

"hey, we are gonna take a trip around the lake in the woods for the hell of it. you in?" (or frisbee, gaming and bullshitting, whatever)

or maybe I was just spoiled by a good group in college. from what i am hearing here, it seems like that's what happened

edit; what fal said

diadem fucked around with this message on 08-22-2004 at 05:36 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 05:49:27 PM
quote:
Yuri had this to say about Pirotess:

There are nightly parties at pembroke too.

Your college likely has 10,000 - 20,000 students I'm guessing. Lets say 7500 are residents and 12,500 are commuters.

Let's say on any given night, half of them are partying. That leaves 3750 students for you to hang out with and socialize with if you are so inclined.

Most colleges look like all parties. That is because the parties are the things that are always ADVERTISED to random people. The other things you have to look for.

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 08-22-2004 06:07:19 PM
IT's hard not to be social at my college: every program has a pubnite with a couple of other programs one day of the week, sometimes two.

and what I did, is became really good friends with the girl across the hall, and then when my roomate dropped out at the end of the first semester, she moved in.

and it was GREAT!

edit: my floormates were half party-hardy-ers, and half quiet people who like to sit and chat and drink.

my new roomate and I had many a party whist sitting in our kitchen with lawnchairs and half the floor drunk. SO fun.

BeauChan fucked around with this message on 08-22-2004 at 06:09 PM.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 08-22-2004 09:15:40 PM
quote:
Yuri had this to say about (_|_):

What the fuck, Cal Poly band parties harder than most other groups on campus, haha.

I'm glad to be going back to school. God, I missed it. I'd probably be more excited if I wasn't incredibly depressed at the moment.

Peter
Pancake
posted 08-22-2004 09:30:51 PM
Being to lazy to read all the posts, let impart a few points.

Do not fuck around, stay on your major, and in school, and if possible take those summer classes. Fucking around, takeing to many classes outside your major, and the most retareded thing ever takeing a semester "off", only does two things, wastes money(If not your own, your folks, and if you don't care it's your folks money, you need to be kicked in the genitals swiftly because 9 times out of 10 your folks are giveing up some important shit) and more importantly you are wasteing your time, something you will never ever see again.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-22-2004 09:45:20 PM
also, taking a semester off can screw with loans and how long you have before paying em back.

As for taking classes out of your major -- your advisor SHOULDN'T allow that. But if you really don't like a degree program, don't be afraid to switch out. The first two years are generally elective and gen ed courses anyway.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-22-2004 09:54:14 PM
Go to the fucking house party, you nerd

They're very very fun.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: