EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Multi-monitor question
Maradon!
posted 08-22-2004 03:32:21 AM
How hard would it be to set it up such that you had a two monitor display where you could have a "primary" monitor that you played games on and such, and an "alternate" monitor that you could chat on and surf web pages and such.

Is this even possible? If so, how would one go about switching the keyboard and mouse control between the two?

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 08-22-2004 03:34:22 AM
quote:
Maradon! wrote this stupid crap:
How hard would it be to set it up such that you had a two monitor display where you could have a "primary" monitor that you played games on and such, and an "alternate" monitor that you could chat on and surf web pages and such.

Is this even possible? If so, how would one go about switching the keyboard and mouse control between the two?

Well the easiest would be do like me and have two seperate computers, or you could have two computers and one monitor/keyboard/mouse setup hooked up to a switchbox, other than that I don't know.

Maradon!
posted 08-22-2004 03:36:25 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Fizodeth who doth quote:
Well the easiest would be do like me and have two seperate computers, or you could have two computers and one monitor/keyboard/mouse setup hooked up to a switchbox, other than that I don't know.

that's specifically what I'm trying to avoid though

Sean
posted 08-22-2004 03:36:29 AM
quote:
Maradon! attempted to be funny by writing:

As far as I know, you'd need a secondary PCI graphics card to work the alternate monitor, as you'd need a real dual desktop setup.

Beyond that, I have no clue, I just mirror my desktop onto my larger TV when I need to.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Maradon!
posted 08-22-2004 03:37:37 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Sean booooze lime pole over bench lick:
As far as I know, you'd need a secondary PCI graphics card to work the alternate monitor, as you'd need a real dual desktop setup.

Yeah I figured that. Would that fuck up performance much on the main card?

Sean
posted 08-22-2004 03:39:08 AM
quote:
From the book of Maradon!, chapter 3, verse 16:
Yeah I figured that. Would that fuck up performance much on the main card?

No clue. I'd assume not, being on separated buses and all.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-22-2004 05:36:30 AM
quote:
Maradon!'s account was hax0red to write:

If your game is windowed, there shouldn't be any issues. Your keyboard functions should adjust based on which window has focus. Just size your desktop to be one monitor high and two across, and size your game to fit one monitor while your chat stuff is on the other half of the desktop.

Non-windowed, I'm not sure how one would go about it.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Beta Tested
Pancake
posted 08-22-2004 10:55:53 AM
Also when doing this, try not to mix card manufactuers. Computers don't really like trying to figure out which driver is for what card.
What's this thing do?
That would be sooo cool if it wasn't going to hurt us.
Melphina's Magelo
Chugga
Pancake
posted 08-22-2004 11:06:00 AM
Uh, I've got 2 monitors setup right now with my Radeon 9800 Pro, you just need a dual head video card. Here's what my setup looks like:

Linkie

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 08-22-2004 11:31:13 AM
I'm using dual monitors on a GeForce4 Ti4400. Most of the video cards that've been popular in the last two years can support dual monitors. The NVidia cards need DualView (a driver add-on) installed so that they don't work as one really wide (or tall) monitor. Also, a lot of full-screen games want to minimize if you click off them (effectively switching to another application as far as they're concerned), so you can watch the chat on your other monitor while gaming, but not actually chat yourself. (I haven't actually tried this with the ATI cards, but expect they have the same problem, since it seems more like a Direct-X function than something built into the video card drivers.)

If you want to actively chat and game at the same time, you'll probably need dual computers with a KVM (not using the V) switch. That or you'll need to run all your games windowed. Note that my card (stated in sentence 1) bogs down when running games windowed with DualView active.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 08-22-2004 at 11:35 AM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 08-22-2004 11:38:09 AM
I just use the dual heads + UltraMon, no bogdown really using the dual monitors...except if I tried to DC in EQ with a character on each monitor. Then it slowed to a crawl.
Alaan
posted 08-22-2004 11:47:47 AM
I could run a 1024x768 monitor for AIM/mIRC at the same time as most games on the main monitor without much troubles with the 9600 Pro. And some games just will not work with this set up. They will resize both monitors resolutions and shitft screens and generally fuck things up.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-22-2004 01:21:02 PM
What sage said.

However, you can also run some full screened games and alt-tab out of them. This will let you chat as you are playing. Problem is, a lot of games want to take full control of your computer. This prevents you from being able to do something as simple as using mIRC on a second window becuase quite simply, the game won't let you leave.

I belive support for two monitors is native to XP, you just need either cards or one card that has multiple outputs. I've never had the two monitor thing effect performance, but I have had issues with not being able to leave the game to use my second monitor with many games.

If you can't alt-tab out of the game safely or play windowed, you probably can't use a second monitor effectively for non-game purposes.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-22-2004 01:57:12 PM
I have a two monitor set up using a Radeon 9700 Pro running WinXP HE and for some games, like city of heroes, it actually lets you just mouse over to the other monitor and do your business there then come back. The only jumping block is really that you have to run games at the same resolution as your desktop otherwise it ends up freaking out the monitors.
Maradon!
posted 08-22-2004 04:14:50 PM
Thanks for the advice all.

It looks like, in order to get what I want, I'll have to multi-box. What I wanted was to essentially have a separate monitor dedicated to AIM, chat, and looking up FAQ's for when I'm in a game that abso-freaking-lutely will not allow you to multitask (like Doom 3).

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: