EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Computer troubles.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-19-2004 11:47:34 PM
Hello everyone. I seek computer help.

My computer network hiccups like, all the time, every 5 minutes or so (I don't know the precise time intervals inbetween hiccups, but it occurs often enough to drive me insane)

The network setup is as follows:

We're both using Windows XP professional, I have Sp2, the upstairs has SP1. I don't know if that'd have anything to do with it, but this issue has existed long before we had either service pack.

help halp help

Peter
Pancake
posted 08-19-2004 11:49:32 PM
Sorry man, Mayvbe if your diagram was drawn to scale I could help you. P
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-19-2004 11:50:48 PM
What do you mean by "hiccup"? Disconnecting completely? Pausing? Dropping a transfer?

I'm off to bed now, but your answer should help other people troubleshoot.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-19-2004 11:52:21 PM
It does two things, actually. The network will pause, and at times, it will say the cable is disconnected. The cabling is not faulty, as we've switched it out a few times now, and I know I've pushed that in as tight as it can, and was awarded with a happy click.
Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 08-20-2004 12:00:17 AM
It could be that your hub sucks

Buy a cheapo Linksys mini-switch, if at all possible. If you actually have a "hub", then I cry. 10Mbps = sadf

If you just said hub out of habit and meant switch, then I'm less sad. Still, it could be a fault in the hub/switch

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-20-2004 12:02:18 AM
quote:
Naota Nandaba wrote this stupid crap:
It could be that your hub sucks

Buy a cheapo Linksys mini-switch, if at all possible. If you actually have a "hub", then I cry. 10Mbps = sadf

If you just said hub out of habit and meant switch, then I'm less sad. Still, it could be a fault in the hub/switch

Point me towards these wild Linksys mini-switch things.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 08-20-2004 12:04:32 AM
Might it have something to do with the "room full of urges"?

[EDIT- Wait, that's "room full of CURSES". My mistake.]

Ruvyen fucked around with this message on 08-20-2004 at 12:06 AM.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-20-2004 12:06:31 AM
quote:
Ruvyen had this to say about Cuba:
Might it have something to do with the "room full of urges"?

[EDIT- Wait, that's "room full of CURSES". My mistake.]

Urges to stab you

Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 08-20-2004 12:06:54 AM
quote:
Liam got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Point me towards these wild Linksys mini-switch things.

This is what I have

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
*Tal*
Pancake
posted 08-20-2004 12:47:13 AM
How many machines are on the network? If its only two, scrap the fucking hub/switch, and just link the machines with a crossover cable. If theres more than one, spend 70 bucks at Wal-Mart for a cheapo Linksys Router, and put it BEFORE the first comp, if you need more ports, stick a 20$ linksys hub off the router, and be happy.

And while you're at it, replace your network cards with Linksys too..

Easier to get help when your network is all one brand.

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-20-2004 12:53:12 AM
3, but my sister never has her computer on so I can just remove her from the equation. The other problem is, the network cable is feeding through the ceilings and walls, so switching cables isn't exactly -easy-.
*Tal*
Pancake
posted 08-20-2004 12:55:32 AM
No need to switch cables, just chop one end of it, and recrimp it as a crossover.. just swap locations of the orange and brown wires..

or is it orange and green?

They say a smile is a gift which is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere.
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 08-20-2004 12:59:42 AM
quote:
How.... *Tal*.... uughhhhhh:
No need to switch cables, just chop one end of it, and recrimp it as a crossover.. just swap locations of the orange and brown wires..

or is it orange and green?

I doubt he has a crimper handy but..

I would just buy a new switch.. the one Kegwen or whoever he is now suggested is a good one. I just bought one myself for about 20 bucks at radioshack and it works wonders.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: